Cold water........

Chuck Best

Hey All.....Just to let everyone know the water is cold under that ice.I know from personal contact as I was swimming yesterday off of the park in Alcona.There were a few guys out the day before ,so I called ice-fisherman and we made arragements to meet and head out yesterday,After walking to a few different spots and spudding as I walked,not finding any soft spots or nothing under 4",we continued to search.Not until after 2P.M.,we decided to give it up and head for shore.Not till then did we even hear a crack from the ice all morning and when it cracked Emil stopped and I took 2 more steps and kerplunk,I was swimming.Looking back,I'm not even sure I thought about it,but swinging my arms,broke ice 3 times and when it didn't break again,up with the hips and rollin',up on my knees and looked back at the hole......Emil noticed that my pail was sinking,so with one of his rods,I retrived my pail,with my rods.We then headed for shore that was 1/2 a klik away....All in all was a re-assurance that I do know what to do ,and do it without thinking,All that was lost was my spud bar,and even my Blackberry turned on this mornin',which is a good thing.....It's -10 here today and it'll be making ice.Please just remeber that it may look good ,but there will always be soft spots and I found one yesterday....TC and tight lines all.....Chuck...

Holy Crap Chuck That is Not Fun

A terrible feeling and don't ask me how I know whistling.gif

The thing is you instinctively reacted!!! Good for you clapping.gif Your experience paid off HUGE

Be Careful As Big Cliff said We could never replace YOU worthy.gifworthy.gif

Rick

must have been really scary the moment it happened. I've been on the ice once where the whole slab seemed to have moved/shifted down after a loud crack. That scared the crap outta me.

glad to hear that you're okay.

as for the phone ... you probably kept it on. It may be a good idea leave it off, take the battery out for 2-3 days and let it completely dry out in case there's still some moisture inside. (although it's fine right now)

Glad to hear that you are alright, I dont know you, but it is always scary to hear about people going through the ice, I pray that it is not me one of these days!

Obviously you know how to stay calm and rescue yourself when things go wrong, so good on you for remaining calm and getting out of there.

You may have saved my life with this post, I was thinking of heading out to IBP this week, but after hearing about this I may put it off for a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the post, and I hope that it never happens to you again!

Daryl

Wow....thank goodness you made it! I was sorely tempted to head out there yesterday as well...but took the advice of a friend and headed a little further north. Hasn't happened to me yet...but if it ever does...I hope I react as quickly as you did.

Guest gbfisher

:w00t::w00t: Glad yer ok big guy.

After reading yer post today,I went out and bought a set of hand spikes. :good:

Although I have the utmost faith in my guide Friday :P ,figured better safe then sorry. :blink:

After you..... :tease:

No worries...we'll chip on the way out and ON THE WAY BACK....Thanks for keepin us on our toes Chuck.

Thx. all for the replies,it took over 30 years to get more than a wet boot,but as I said before,it's a good shot of reassurance knowing that I knew what to do,and could still get it done.Well, the suit is almost dry and it's still below zero here,so I'll probably get back on that horse again this weekend.....TC and dry boots all....Chuck...

so let me see if i read this right.

you fell into the water

you pulled yourself out.

you took emil's rod to get your bucket back.

the thing im missing is,

what was emil doing the whole time????

:dunno::dunno:

glad you made it out alright chuck!!!!!

Edited by skeeter