Snowmobile Electrical Issue

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey OFNers...Trying to get out and enjoy what little snow we have on the lakes up here... Seems somewhere in the my travels the last few days my headlight, tach, and console lights stopped working... electric start and RER are still functioning.

The fuses appear to all be fine. What do you guys think is the problem?

Regulator? Relay? Something else?

Dr. S, had a very similar problem on an 04 Skandic, rear light, fuel gauge and tach running spordically. Ended up being a bare chaffed wire that runs through the tube along side the running board, it was a real pain to diagnose, the bare part was facing down and if I hadn't seen a tiny spark while rattling things, I was ready to take the big hammer out.

I would say for sure it's the regulator. Actually, I just checked my Yamaha Venture .pdf service manual, and yup, it's the regulator. I bet your tail lights are on the same circuit. Hope it's only a scuffed wire though! Regulators aren't cheap. Good luck

Edited by Disco Phish

Royal might be cheaper but after going thru two coils on my old arctic cat in one year because the wires couldn't take any vibration at all I gave up and bought a factory one.Never had a problem after that.Cheap chinese made junk.

Kerry

If you have an ohm meter, you can easily test the lighting coil(s) on the stator. Attached is a link to video on You Tube explaining how to test stators.

http://www.google.ca...hc8Rhyw&cad=rja

It could be the Voltage Regulator, but if it is, it's likely that you would have blown some or all of the lights on your sled.

Edited by Old Man

Hey Doc,

like most the others have said...voltage regulator but first...

wiggle some wires...it actualy works and when you find one that does the trick..take it apart and clean it up/connections too..

Most of the time I found it to just be spark tho.....They sit for so long oper the non-snow months and water=rust

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Just to clarify the symptoms, no lights are working. the only thing electrical that works is the electric start and RER, but because the battery is draining, they don't work now either.

could this problem be affecting my sparkplugs as well? went to load the sled on the trailer and it will idle fine, but when i apply throttle it pops and loses power like it's not getting a proper spark...

hopefully going to be serviced soon! no sled makes me sad!

Just to clarify the symptoms, no lights are working. the only thing electrical that works is the electric start and RER, but because the battery is draining, they don't work now either.

could this problem be affecting my sparkplugs as well? went to load the sled on the trailer and it will idle fine, but when i apply throttle it pops and loses power like it's not getting a proper spark...

hopefully going to be serviced soon! no sled makes me sad!

It's the lighting coil on the stator. It provides all the power to run lights, accessories, and charges the battery.

Edited by Old Man

It's the lighting coil on the stator. It provides all the power to run light, accessories, and charges the battery.

Yep, sure sounds like it, or the regulator.

Check the light bulbs with an ohm meter and if the bulbs read as open it's the regulator. If the bulbs are good it's most likely the coil.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

well, to the great minds guiding me towards the regulator and the stator, you were both right!

both are faulty and in need of replacement.

500 dollars in parts! :stretcher:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

mine was 300 but i was told that some arctic cat stators go for 900 bucks so i guess i should feel fortunate? :dunno:

be nice to have her back regardless... winter's too short as it is!