Fishing License

blindjustice

Hello All,

Great site, enjoy all the information!

Looking to renew my Fishing License and since I don't keep any fish I want to go with a Conservation License as opposed to a Sporting License.

My question is if I want to fish for Muskie I have heard that I need the Sporting License in case I inadvertently kill a fish and need to keep it. Is there any such regulation/law/opinion to this?

I would appreciate any feedback, as I'm not entirely opposed to getting a Sporting License.

Thanks.

well I keep every few fish so I had to decide with license to get

I was fishing whitefish on simcoe, with no intent in keeping any that day

I had one that couldn't release so I kept it

and hour later I had a second one that would not release, I realized that if I had a con. license I would be breaking the law

so I decided that I would continue to buy a sports license and not have to let a fish float belly up in the water

Edited by Terry

My question is if I want to fish for Muskie I have heard that I need the Sporting License in case I inadvertently kill a fish and need to keep it. Is there any such regulation/law/opinion to this?

you can fish for muskie with a conservation license you just need to release any fish caught regardless if its going to survive or not

Sport Fishing Licence: For anglers who want full catch and possession fishing privileges. In this summary, S - refers to limits under a Sport Fishing Licence (e.g. S - 4 = catch and possession limit of 4).

Conservation Fishing Licence: A reduced catch and possession limit licence that is ideal for anglers who want to live-release the majority of fish caught. Under this licence, anglers must immediately release muskellunge, Atlantic salmon and aurora trout. In this summary, C - refers to limits under a Conservation Fishing Licence (e.g. C - 2 = catch and possession limit of 2).

Refer to the Zone tables and the exceptions for catch and possession limits.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198219.pdf

I also buy the Sportsman License for my Canadian fishing. It's rare for me to keep anything, but will keep a couple bass for a fish fry on occassion. (I may need it this year when I blow away the field at the OFC pike derby in June :clapping: ) I also do musky fishing and there have been posts on here as to what constitutes possession and what doesn't. I never intend on keeping any, even if they are of legal size. I'll spend the extra $$, just to be on the safe side.