Ontario Needs To Change For Anglers

Aaron Shirley

Unfortunately, I don't believe that our Ontario Liberal government realizes or cares enough about the economic benefits that fishing brings to this Province. Many of the States have always been light years ahead of Ontario catering to anglers, and even many other Provinces cater to angling a lot more IMO.

In the States and other Provinces, they add many good launch ramp facilities to popular lakes and rivers, fish cleaning stations and access points with parking to rivers and creeks. In Ontario, good launch ramp facilities and fish cleaning stations are rare, and access points to rivers and creeks seem to be dissapearing quickly with all the building.

Fish rearing for Great Lakes tributaries in NY is tremendous compared to Ontario. This is very evident when you see rivers full of fish and anglers in NY compared to our tributaries in Ontario (this year was one of few good years). Some tribs in Ontario have good natural reproduction which is great, but the tribs that don't should be heavily stocked IMO.

It's a shame, because Ontario is a great place with so many angling opportunities. I would like to see improvements, wouldn't you?

My wife purchased a fishing licence at CTC early last year and didn't get her card until about November. Stuff like this shouldn't happen.

Don't take this post the wrong way, I am not bashing our OMNR. I think they are doing a good job considering the lack of funding and manpower they have. I believe that change will only happen if political candidates hear from a good number of anglers from Ontario.

We need to let the politicians hear our voice in the next Ontario Provincial election. The more voices that political candidates hear from anglers will help. Municipal elections should be treated the same way. Whenever I got a knock at the door during my last municipal election from political candidates, I took the time to speak to them about adding more access points to Bronte Creek and launch ramp facilities on Lake Ontario in Burlington. I am only one voice that can easily be brushed off though.

I believe that I can still do more and plan to, by drafting a letter and sending it to all future political candidates in the next election. Change for the better can happen with enough political pressure, and there is enough anglers here on OFC alone to make a difference.

Remember these points during the next political election campaign. I realize that most of us lead busy lives, but it will not take that much time to send a few letters and speak to political candadites that knock on our doors. Every bit helps.

- inject more funding into the OMNR (i.e. more Conservation Officers)

- More public education/awareness (i.e. regulation changes or public awareness on differentiating species etc.)

- Protect our watersheds

- More/better launch ramp facilities

- Fish cleaning stations at popular launch ramps

- More/better access points to rivers and streams with parking and garbage cans

Sorry if this topic has been on here recently and I missed it.

Aaron

I agree with you

however change cost money

who is going to pay..taxes....triple the cost of our license

in many cases it local gov that controls boat ramps and parking and they are reducing them not increasing or maintaining them. the local home owners/cottagers want less traffic at their ramps or on their lakes and less garbage and the local gov listens to the voters.....

I guess if we can show/convince them that more fishing opportunities = more tax dollars, = more jobs and is good for local economy, we might get a gov to make some changes

I agree with your statements, and honestly whats a extra $10 or 15 or 20 on our fishing license if it means we see garbage cans at our already "fishing" parking lot's. That dam causeway in Port Perry is first off disgusting and so are the people that make it this way. Things simple as the Conservation Authority running a truck by to take garbage cans would be good and would eliminate lot's I'm sure.

Another thing I can point out is a increase of CO's. To add another 10 or 20 guys out there would make a strong difference and yes there is a price to pay but whats the price if we don't have more enforcement....it's amazing how many people fish for sportfish and don't care or are not informed on the importance of respecting seasons and limits(myself included a few years back) As far as protect the rivers and sensitivity I'm all for that, however if there is a small 4-12car parking lot there, throw down some new gravel and a few tin cans for garbage to jazz up our spots.

We don't need to change much, just adapt to the new and ever growing fishery with simple but effective ways to keep out populations up, our garbage and pollution down.

I can only imagine how many bags of garbage I will fill picking up trash around a few spots I fish close to home.

Aaron good post bud.

When you look at the NYDEC fisheries budget, it dwarfs ours. No wonder every ditch gets choked with stockers. Im sure if the MNR had the money NY does to put into its fisheries, we would have the same opportunities. Its simply comes down to money.

My advice would be to do as Aaron mentioned or lend a hand with a conservation group to seriously make a difference.

All levels of government, and flavours, do not put enough emphasize on the environment. Some of the reasons for this are: The difficultly in quantifying and qualifying the value of return on investment. The length of time, and money, needed to properly observe and evaluate the results of environmentally initiatives, or the lack of. And our general lack of interest in paying for it via taxes, user fees, pulling tax $ from elsewhere, etc.

Even if the environment is a priority for one flavour can't be properly managed on 3, 4 or 5 year mandates. It needs to be near the top of the list, ALL the time and for every flavour of government.

The quotes goes: In a democracy you always get the government you deserve. The voters (that's us) need to make our feelings known, and then hold the governments responsible.

When you look at the NYDEC fisheries budget, it dwarfs ours. No wonder every ditch gets choked with stockers. Im sure if the MNR had the money NY does to put into its fisheries, we would have the same opportunities. Its simply comes down to money.

My advice would be to do as Aaron mentioned or lend a hand with a conservation group to seriously make a difference.

NY state's population is about twice as much as Ontario. That bigger tax base is used on a land mass that is a small fraction of Ontario. I am all for doing more for the environment (see my post above) but its hard to make an apples to big apples comparison sometimes. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by kickingfrog

Canadians like to talk change but won't foot the bill or the consequences. That is why we allow ourselves to be lied to every election.

Every election promises are made, and after every election the same limp excuses of "priorities", " no money left in the budget", "poor economic times", "change of political climate",......

Don't get me wrong. I'm no better. In fact I'm worse. I used to write the campaign dribble you were being fed during some elections. :blush::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Make fishing legal!

Drop the resident fishing license, save the wasted $ given to foreign private co. to administer the license and free up the co's from being meter maids so they can do the real co work they want to do. Support the mnr through general rev. and save the administration and enforcement cost of licensing. If Ontario's natural resources are available to be used by everyone they should be supported by everyone.

I agree with you aaron, totally.

I asked a few of the same questions to a friends father, way back( a biologist).

The centre for inland waters is right here! A ramp and a cleaning station would be great for their studies, on their side for public use.

Edited by vinnimon

Two points...

It is a mistake to involve government in anything you don't want screwed up!

Governments first job is self perpetuation. Therefore they like to create committees, who then appoint officials and hire staff. The staff do studies, which they sent to the committees to study. New committees will be formed to study the studies and report back to the committee.

Since those people who oppose any use of the outdoors or don't want you on "their" river, lake or shore, are better connected and more politically savvy than you, these studies will be heavily influenced by people who don't want what you do.

If you want it done, be prepared to do it yourself.

Join or form an organization. Collect private money to do these improvements. Speak to the lowest possible level of local government about donating your cash, time and labour to accomplish your goals. The closer you get to the grass roots, the more likely you are to find folks like yourselves.

things wont change,because in the general population,we are a minority, and minorities get the crappy end of the stick.

Minorities actually get a lot. They do it by being vocal and visible, organizing, lobbying, and buying influence. Things our opposition are very good at.

Edited by bigugli

HI not to be negative,

Sportfishing is down near 50 per-cent, along with boating.. back in the 1980 period the federal goverment put forth grat money for municipaltys for breakwalls, ramps and marinas. they now sit well under capacity. lost revenue from vacant boatwells. the mnr stance is to attempt to maintain not enhance the fisheries. the age old argument of lost opportunitys , will fall upon deaf ears. goverments after being downloaded upon from ottawa are cash strapped. lost jobs, no growth equal maintaing whats there at best. if you want ramps, parking areas they need to be maintained. citys and townships have to earmark tax dollars for these projects.. i live in southern ontario and have witnessed countless closures of marinas and sports good stores. my only postive things i see that have a viable outcome is to lobby and maintain whats available now.

sportsfishing is in damage control.

Our NYS DEC said you can't raise walleyes above the fry stage because Blah blah blah....well a private club did it "The Niagara River Association" and it's been a huge success for many years. Bottom line they (DEC) were geared for stocking salmon and trout and have only one walleye hatchery on Oneida Lake....total expenses were (a few years ago) $30,000.00 TOTAL...and 85% of those walleye FRY went back into Oneida Lake where only 1% survived as per there info... :dunno:

Everytime I went to the French River I was stopped and asked by biologist for scale samples and they would ask many questions....at the time I thought I was helping out the fishery there...but after a while I started to tell them NO, sorry, I'm fishing right now..(the bite only last so long and I don't need to waste time and the big bucks I was spending to fish there answering a survey every time)........so how did all that scale sampling and survey questions work out...last I heard the French is much worse now then 25 years ago... :angry:

We have biologist here in NYS that ask you those same questions at the boat ramp while I'm tying down my boat and it's only one person, not 3 in a boat. Does this help....yes, some political connected young man has a gravy job for the year...that's how it helps (him). :huh:

Water access is what we need here, especially on Lake Erie where there are NO free access points to launch at even though we bought the land and put in the launch on Catturagus Creek through our license money... :whistling: ...the DEC bigs that launch out to a private contractor who charges the going rate.....go figure....again watch what you wish for ! ! ! :o

We have many gun clubs and fishing clubs here and most belong to a Federation and put political pressure on our DEC and elected officials that way...we do see some good things because of that. I would be surprised if your cottage/fish camp industry doesn't have a similar organization to pressure your politicians and fish and game department. But it seem like a lot of these older fishing camps are now targeting the family vacation crowd, not the dirty old fishermen like us... :rolleyes:

Again, like Garry2rs said....do it yourself or it wouldn't get done or wouldn't get done right. Money talks old smelly fishermen walks... :(

Good Luck,

Bob

It takes money to do anything? Like some one mentioned New York`s population is almost 1/3 of all of Canada`s? While it may seen very important to locals there is a whole nation`s, whole province`s fisheries to fund? Even Ohio with roughly 1/9 the land area has a relatively similar population, and far less water related issues to fund.

I inquired some years ago about buying a home on a lake in New York, just a small bungalow, but lakefront property, which made it a luxury subject to a 25% tax on the purchase price. The postage stamp property, maybe 50x120 carried a property tax burden of over 5500.00 a year in property taxes.

Ohio passed state taxes to acquire land for parks and such, some lakefront. Some local communities have also realized the added value of sport fishing and boating minded tourism and acquired land on their own through local taxes.

Well, I figured this topic may become controvercial and have some negative feedback. I can understand why many people feel that no matter what we do it will not make a difference. The government does not have the best track record at times.

The bottom line is, we are a special interest group, and not a small one. I feel that we are a large enough special interest group that lobbying the government can make a difference. Other special interest groups lobby the government successfully all the time. Even a bunch of small improvements for anglers annually can be a victory for us. We shouldn't expect everything to be solved overnight and be all better with a few letters. We are not asking the government to do the impossible, just continue to make improvements for anglers and let them hear our voice.

We live in a democratic society that allows free speech and lobbying our government. Why not utilize the tools we were given to try and help make our passion in life even better.

What do we really have to loose? A small amount of our time to send a few letters may put our sport in the spotlight in Ottawa a little more, create more awareness and add political pressure to make improvements. Remember the old saying "the squeeky wheel gets the greese"?

I believe that we can help make a difference if we all work together. There is another old saying "united we stand tall, divided we fall". I don't want to just sit and watch further degradation of our great sport. I really love fishing in Ontario and would like to see improvements. Don't we all?

Who knows, if there are improvements to fishing in Ontario and more public awareness, it just may get more people into our great pastime and grow. Growth for our sport would be a good thing.

I can spend the time to draft a letter and post it here, but we need real support from anglers in order to make this work. One squeeky wheel 100 miles from Ottawa will not be heard.

Aaron