1st Ice Report

young_one

Even a double hole.. if it fits a boot it's deadly. They may not freeze over for more than a day, depending on temps. Rob almost broke his leg in one last year stepping out of Lloyd's van and we had, I believe, Dave stepping in one first thing in the morning to start off wet the day of Fishing for Tyler a few years back. Lucky he didn't break his leg/hip.

If you need to do them that way bring a branch to stick in it as you leave.

Nice vids!

I was out on Scugog a couple weeks ago and also had a hard time finding the weed edge. Once I found it though, I managed to ice half a dozen crappies.

Bite is definitely tough. I think the key is going with a light presentation. Slow jigging will eventually entice them. I used small plastics.

I think I managed to catch all the fish that showed up on my sonar. Not many fish around when I was out....but your hole looks loaded with fish!

MJL just got a Marcum camera too. We were up at a lake yesterday trying it out. Pretty cool to see fish reacting to your offering.

Can't wait to check out some underwater footage of steelhead!

IMO All holes should be marked with a branch.Good advise Wayne.

YO,one piece of advise aswell,chuck the swivel.Tie direct. You can get different actions with that bait by just moving the knot back and forth on the loop.

and my local tackle guy needs to get real...he wants $7.99 for one of those Northland Minnows!

Thats insane. Wally world has them and they are 4-5 and change.Pricey for a piece of reflective metal. :unsure:

Went out to Scugog in the afternoon, didn't land anything significant. Saw a couple nice walleyes and crappies. I'll be back to redeem myself!

What techniques are effective for this time of the year? (I suppose its still early ice?)

Well, I have tried all the fancy stuff over the years but I have to be honest with you, a drop shot rig with a small (perch sized) hook about 18" above the sinker, I put a small piece of red wool (1/4 inch long)on the hook shank with a drop of Krazy glue and a pin head minnow. I think the red wool looks like blood to the walleye. All I can tell you for sure is it does make a difference.

Bounce the sinker on the bottom, it stirs up the silt and looks like a minnow feeding, jig, jig, pause. The walleye will ususlly hit right after you pause, most of the time you will just feel a thud, set the hook and you have your fish on.

Crappie: again a small hook but this time put a piece of split shot about a foot above the hook, no sinker on the bottom. A pin head minnow, and that is all there is to it. If the bite is slow, just jig enough to make the minnow flutter a bit, it looks like it is hurt and an easy meal to a crappie. Keep it up off bottom though, crappie tend to attack from below.

BTW, I always hook my minnows by the head, usually through the eyes. That way, when you jig it looks like they are shooting up or down, quite a natural action.

Went out to Scugog in the afternoon, didn't land anything significant. Saw a couple nice walleyes and crappies. I'll be back to redeem myself!

What techniques are effective for this time of the year? (I suppose its still early ice?)

Where do i get one of those talkin' lures??? :lol:

Thanks for taking the time. :thumbsup_anim: