Sign in to follow this  
Rod Caster

Juicy Jumbos

Walked on the lake without an auger (need new blades). A friendly shack owner punched two holes for me and I was very grateful for the kindness of strangers.

Looks like 10-11 inches off good ice now. All caught on a Salmo darter in perch design except two on minnows.

I've caught bigger perch on Simcoe but never measured them...what's the biggest perch you've gotten? I'd like to know what the standard is.

Nipperch11inch.jpg

Nipperch.jpg

Nipperch2.jpg

Nice feed of perch you got there. I usually only keep them between 10-12 inches on Simcoe. I got a few 13+ in the fall and a couple through the ice so far this winter, but have not managed any over 14 since last spring. Generally I get a dozen or so 14+ inchers over the course of a year. However I have never landed a perch over 15...and yes I do get out perching alot.

Nice feed of perch you got there. I usually only keep them between 10-12 inches on Simcoe. I got a few 13+ in the fall and a couple through the ice so far this winter, but have not managed any over 14 since last spring. Generally I get a dozen or so 14+ inchers over the course of a year. However I have never landed a perch over 15...and yes I do get out perching alot.

Most of these keepers were between 8-11inches....which is a good average size for up here. I'll typically keep anything over 7" .

A 15" perch is a monster. I'd guess that my biggie from Simcoe this summer was around 14".

My goal is now to catch a 15 incher.

I never understood why Roy liked warm Old Milwaukee... but I'm startin to understand!!

Nice feed of perch !

Edited by irishfield

Can't wait till the G2G in Feb!.. You're gunna show me how to catch eyes thought the ice right??

Rod Caster,

Lots of 12" perch come from Nip each winter. I'm off at 4:30 we should walk out to a secret spot I know for some jumbos. Close to the gov. dock.

Nice catch. I can taste them now. Can't wait to get out to Simcoe. I don't have the best time management skills I tell ya.

Moxie.

Ice perch! Are those the smallest size of Salmo darters? How did you fish them? Tip or no?

yes it was the smallest size at the shop. I don't tip them. They were quite aggressive to it, even on standstill you could feel them hammer it.

Rod Caster,

Lots of 12" perch come from Nip each winter. I'm off at 4:30 we should walk out to a secret spot I know for some jumbos. Close to the gov. dock.

I can't even have my 15 minutes with you around eh? dry.gifsarcasm.giflaugh.gif

Off to Hammer tonight...sry...but this weekend?????

Can't wait till the G2G in Feb!.. You're gunna show me how to catch eyes thought the ice right??

Us Nipissing guys keep close secrets..we don't tell anyone about emerald shinners and jigging hardware such as Salmo Darters and Swedish Pimples.

cool.gif

Wow, awesome catches Rod Caster! :thumbsup_anim: WTG!!!!!

Haven't made it out onto Nip yet but hopefully this week/wknd!!! :clapping:

Nipfisher, You could always take me to the "secret" perch spot hehe :whistling: