Reels....

Guest Manitoubass

Guest Manitoubass

I've had no luck in the past two years finding a reel that can withstand heavy shore fishing. I've tried about 11-12 reels and all of them last maybe 3 months before running into issues, usually with the bail arm.

I'm looking for a few suggestions here to anyone with some knowledge on this.

The reels I use in the boat are fine, obviously taking way less assault in comparison.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Guest Manitoubass

I've a Pfleuger that has withstood 4 years of heavy abuse on the shore, and a low end Quantum Vector that has withstood 8 years of abuse.

What make of Pflueger???

I've used a Pflueger Supreme and also a trion gx-7 and both were nice but still had issues

Guest Manitoubass

quantum energy pti. great reel, very smooth, great drag. bail arm wont fail u!

I'm checking that out now, pretty funky looking reel, hahaa. A bit pricey at $170 but if it holds up it be worth it

What make of Pflueger???

I've used a Pflueger Supreme and also a trion gx-7 and both were nice but still had issues

It was the Maxx. All I know is that sand is death to most reels. The closest I ever came to having a "high end" reel was my 300A, and I have yet to find anything quite as durable, yet i have been pretty happy with some of the "low end" pieces I have.

Well this may apply to you or it may not.

I do equal amounts of shore/bank fishing and fishing from a boat. At NO TIME do I let my reel touch the ground for any reason. I have seem way too many reels dragged along the shore while terminal gear is worked on. Shortly (usually a couple of days) the problems start. Sand and dirt work thenselves inside the reel and mess up the works. Other than replacing about half a dozen broken bail springs in some older reels all my spinning reels (over 100) have never failed me. I might add that I usually buy higher end reels for myself, but even my kids' middle range reels work flawlessly. The only rule is never get them dirty. If by some chance the reel falls on the ground I replace it as soon as possible (usually have a spare) and then clean and lubricate it at the earliest.

It has worked for me for over 50 years now. It is a fine presision instrument and should be treated that way.

muddler

Curious as to what kind of shore fishing you are doing? Casting spoons like 2/5 oz Cleos? still fishing with a heavy sinker and a load on the bail arm when set in a holder? I do know that running too heavy a monofilament on too small a reel is quite hard on them and will shorten your distance casting. If you are shore casting go up a size in reels and/or lighten your line. If you are still fishing I'd look at one of the specialized carp spinners with the baitrunner feature, maybe one of the carp addicts here could pitch in with a suggestion, if it can withstand the rigours of large carp on a bolt rig I'm sure it should handle yor application.

Curious as to what kind of shore fishing you are doing? Casting spoons like 2/5 oz Cleos? still fishing with a heavy sinker and a load on the bail arm when set in a holder? I do know that running too heavy a monofilament on too small a reel is quite hard on them and will shorten your distance casting. If you are shore casting go up a size in reels and/or lighten your line. If you are still fishing I'd look at one of the specialized carp spinners with the baitrunner feature, maybe one of the carp addicts here could pitch in with a suggestion, if it can withstand the rigours of large carp on a bolt rig I'm sure it should handle yor application.

Further to that, exactly what kind of problems have you had with your previous reels? Are you talking about impact damage, or sand getting inside them, or ...... ????

I don't know what went wrong with your Pflueger's but I have done everything you aren't supposed to mine over the last 5yrs and not had any issue with any of my presidents or medalists. I mean like dragging through the sand, scrapping them across piers and dipping them in 38 degree water numerous times. Of course I clean them throughly twice a year and relubricate them as well. For a sixty dollar reel I don't know what would top them? Have you thought about going with a salt water rated reel? It might be able to withstand whatever you are doing to yours.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I'm checking that out now, pretty funky looking reel, hahaa. A bit pricey at $170 but if it holds up it be worth it

it is a bit pricey, but worth every penny and far better then some higher priced reels that i personally dont think are nearly as good. if u wanna save a few bucks, the quantum catalyst, and kinetic pti spinning reels are also great and have the same qualities as the energy for a lesser price.

Guest Manitoubass

Thanks for the replys and suggestions fellas.

Unfortunately, my rods do occasionally touch the ground, it's inevitable shore fishing Rainy River, especially while my kids are fishing as well. I always clean/respect my reels though, perhaps they are just taking too much abuse.

I should also mention that I do use larger reels, in the 3-4000 range, using 12-15lb braid for bass/sturgeon/pike, and use 8-10lb mono for walleye fishing

I use jigs mainly for walleye, with various baits, for bass I'll throw on some variations of DT's, scumfrogs etc, nothing really heavy.

Edited by Manitoubass

You can always look at some inshore spinning reels by Fin-nor or Penn. Both brands are known for their durability. But you'll likely have to order online from the states. The Fin-nor drag system is supposed to be legendary as well, and probably over kill for species here, which is a good thing.

I've had no luck in the past two years finding a reel that can withstand heavy shore fishing. I've tried about 11-12 reels and all of them last maybe 3 months before running into issues, usually with the bail arm.

I'm looking for a few suggestions here to anyone with some knowledge on this.

The reels I use in the boat are fine, obviously taking way less assault in comparison.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

I think if the bail on your reel is malfunctioning, perhaps you do not know how to properly fish with a spinning reel? Perhaps you apply too much pressure when opening and/or closing the bail?

It's more than likely something simple you are doing which is causing the reel's problems.

If that isn't the case at all, then maybe you should look into a spincast reel that has a button you can simply press down on to make casts with, really easy to use, no bail to worry about, and comes with a variety of characters - Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse, and I believe Dora the explorer as well.

Guest Manitoubass

I think if the bail on your reel is malfunctioning, perhaps you do not know how to properly fish with a spinning reel? Perhaps you apply too much pressure when opening and/or closing the bail?

It's more than likely something simple you are doing which is causing the reel's problems.

If that isn't the case at all, then maybe you should look into a spincast reel that has a button you can simply press down on to make casts with, really easy to use, no bail to worry about, and comes with a variety of characters - Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse, and I believe Dora the explorer as well.

That made me laugh pretty good, thanks.

Guest Manitoubass

I should also note that I fish about 8 hours a day, everyday, lol, at least spring through fall, then about 3 days per week on the hard water. Maybe just over use? haha

a quantum PTI reel, be it an energy, kinetic, catalyst... will last u. they have a titanium bail wire that wont bend outta shape and a magnetic bail trip that wont fail u no matter how many times u open and close it. im very hard on my reels and NEVER properly close the bail.

hmmm...very curious what reels have failed you so quickly in the past???

always close the bail by hand, never just by reeling

i use and abuse my gear and never had many major failures...proper maintenance and when they get dirty..aka sand...clean ASAP, stop using it immediately and clean it

of course quality/high end gear will generally last longer

and failing all that...just pray that chuck norris will make a fishing reel some day..lol