pop up ice shelters

shan&jay

Im in the market for an ice shelter and decided a 3 or 4 man pop up style would suit my needs. there are 1/2 a dozen brands that sell what appear to be the same shelter. at the top of my list was the eskimo quickfish3 which ive alread read good reviews on (one was from a old topic from the OFC boards here) Im wondering if anyone can recomend or comment on the quality of the similar shelters? im mainly concerned about the frame not being as strong and cheaper material on the others.

thanks for the replies i think i will try to get one with the thicker material but other than that it seems there all the same.

fishman i seen your add in the classifieds but its a bit bigger than i need i like how the pop up ones have no floor and they are lightweight and fit into a backpack for easy transportation and storage, but good luck with the sale

I've used the CTC version Sub Zero often for a few years now and really enjoyed it. Although I like the hut, it is a light material with a lot of pin holes through it. The advantage is the light weight, but on a really cold windy day it is hard to keep warm, even with a Mr.Buddy heater on full. Also, condensation drips down on the really cold days with the light fabric. For most of my trips, it worked great.

I just upgraded to the Clam Base Camp Thermal, and I'm hoping it stops condensation from dripping down and it stays a lot warmer on the really cold windy days. I'll find out how well it performs this winter. I hope it's worth the bigger price tag. The only disadvantage is the extra 10-pounds with the thicker material.

Hope this helps you find the right pop-up shelter for ya.

BTW: whichever pop-up brand you purchase, it's good practice to take it out of the bag, unfold it and dry it out after every use. I also spray all the zippers often with silicone spray to keep the zippers working well in the cold. These tips will help the shelter last longer and keep it working well for ya.

Enjoy your 2011 ice season!

Aaron

thanks for the info and good maitnence tips arron, now too bad i cant find any for sale, checked to canadian tires 2 tackle shops, even walmart and costco whis had them online all these places where either out of stock or didnt have what i wanted also couldnt come up with much on kijiji either

I picked up base camp (not thermal - was on a budget) in Dec. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

I picked up the Clam base camp for $179.99 at Bass pro boxing day used it last Monday and love it. easy to set up one person. Just need a good heater to keep you warm on cold days.