Jig Fishing

bigmac1984

Hello everyone,

I've mentioned on here before that one of the new techniques I want to learn this year is fishing with a Jig for Bass by either flipping or pitching.

With the winter now into what seems like the longest stretch, I went out and bought some jigs and some trailers so I can stare at them all winter waiting for opening weekend.

When I got them home I tried putting a trailer on one of them just to rig it up, and I couldn't help but notice that the rattles were a bit of a nuisance when it came to rigging the trailer on there.

So this begs the question, are rattles necessary when fishing a jig? Do they really attract more fish, or do they just get in the way of rigging the trailer on properly?

Thanks in advance for your opinions, depending on the responses, I may be exchanging these jigs this week.

What type of jigs did you purchase?

Rattles aren't necessary by any means, but can be helpful when fishing muddy or stained water as they will help bass locate your jig more easily. Same goes for fishing deep weeds I find. When fishing clear water rattles aren't needed nearly as much as bass are able to track down your jig through sight and vibration, rather than noise.

Some anglers will suggest that depending on the jig and the forage you're trying to imitate that the rattles actually sound like certain prey species, like a crayfish clacking it's pincers or a sunfish nipping at the surface.

If you bought a jig where the rattles dangle on 2 strands from the collar, then they may appear to get in the way of the trailler, but shouldn't when in the water. What type of trailers did you buy? chunks don't need to be threaded on (the way you would a grub). Hope this helps a little.

I bought some 1/2 ounce and 3/4 ounce BPS enticer jigs with matching strike king rage chunk (they have the shorter bodies to be used as trailers).....

These jigs have the rattles near the head, but appear to be attached to the hook somehow...

Another question, what sizes do you suggest? Can you use these for smallies? I heard football jigs are better for them because they won't get hung up on the rocks, but I suspect you'd have to downsize on these a bit.

Thanks again Drew

A jig = a sinker with a hook attached. Sure you can get fancy but that is all it boils down to!

Cliff,

These jigs are sweet. They are made specifically for pitching into heavy cover with weed guards on them and rattles for sound detection. We used them in Long Point Bay back in the Port Rowan cat tails and we were pulling out some pretty respectable LG mouth back then. I still got a few of them kickin around in a box somewhere :)

I bought some 1/2 ounce and 3/4 ounce BPS enticer jigs with matching strike king rage chunk (they have the shorter bodies to be used as trailers).....

These jigs have the rattles near the head, but appear to be attached to the hook somehow...

Another question, what sizes do you suggest? Can you use these for smallies? I heard football jigs are better for them because they won't get hung up on the rocks, but I suspect you'd have to downsize on these a bit.

Thanks again Drew

Size would typically be determined by the depth your fishing, weedgrowth, and the sink rate your after (a faster sink rate might help with a reaction bite). 1/2 and 3/4 could for sure work on smallmouth and are pretty typical for largies, just trim the skirts back a little to create a smaller profile if you want.

As for football heads, I've never flipped or pitched one but have dragged erie darters on bare football jigs for smallmouth in deeper water. They still get hung up on rocks on occassion from my experiance. The main thing with jigs more than anything, in my opinion, is buying one with a quality hook. This goes for all lures. As long as the hooks don't rust out in a few months you're good to go.

Like always theirs different jigs for different jobs.

The Denny, Tommy Biffle made by Strike King has a flat face for rolling forward on wood and rock. You can add all the football head jigs to this category.

The Stanley Style or Arkie jig that includes BPS Enticer and a better local made jig Punisher are a combination rock, wood, weed. That frankly does nothing well. Notice the head theirs just less lead to role the jig away from rocks and wood and just enough to tangle in weeds.

Weed jig is pointed, Punisher makes a good one and Hobie makes a great one.

Now you can add a dozen other variation the ball head is fine for swimming baits like grubs and terrible the second it touches anything.

I was a die hard night fisherman, just to avoid the crowded water here in part. Bass had no problem finding 4 inch plastic worms in the dark, 1/8 ounce jigs and pork-plastic. Use a rattle if it increases your confidence, as a change of pace, but I don`t see a need.

Maybe a noisier lure when more boating-fishing activity may help during the day? but I never found it to make much of a difference.