Kirkland Lake area...

tilly

Hey everyone, have a chance to head up to Kirkland Lake this week for some ice fishing. Problem is I've never been to the area, I guess we're staying right on a lake near town (don't know which one yet) so I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for the area. Anyone know what the conditions are like? Any good tackle shops?

I was just up there for a week and the conditions were getting worse and worse as the week went on due to the warm weather. Fishing was a bit slow but we still managed a few pike. I'm not sure how conditions are now but the lakes were getting quite slushy. As far as tackle shops go, there's a small bait shop in Kirkland and also a Canadian Tire. Larder Lake has a decent tackle/bait shop at the gas station in town. All our pike were caught in 8-20 FOW on shiners.

Ok thanks for the help guys! What was the avg. ice thickness?

Tilly,

PM me with the lake name (my guess would be Round Lake or Kenoagmi if it is close to town) and I'll give you the info you need. I was just fishing Kenogami during the holidays and we managed 2 walleye, 12 pike and 3 perch.

As soon as I know I'll shoot you a PM. Cheers

Depending on what kind of fish you are looking for and if you have access to a snowmobile or an ATV you may want to try out several of the lakes in Esker Lakes Provincial Park. It is about a 30 minute drive from town. Most of the lakes have either Brook Trout or Splake in them and can be good fishing.

Unless you want to walk 5 or 6 kms you will need the ATV or snowmobile to get in.

The MNR stocking list should give you an idea of what is in what lake.

The Trial was broken three weeks ago when I was in there.

As far as tackle shops your best to buy anything you need before you get there as the selection will not be great there.