What's new and where's the sense in it?

Garry2Rs

I have been cruising on-line sites that feature videos and write-ups on the latest fishing tackle.

Most of the new product centre around recurring themes:

New smaller, lighter reels with even more bearings and higher gear ratio's...

Sort of Carter Burden meets fishing...

"You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many books." becomes "You can't have too high a gear ratio, be too small or have too many bearings."

Rods for slightly different tactics or presentations...

Worms but not Jigs on this one, Spinnerbaits but not Cranks here...Top waters and Frogs on that one...no wait...was that one Jerkbaits and C-rigs...Sometimes you just can't tell the players without a program!!!

More rods that are Species Specific...

What was I thinking? I can't chase bass with a walleye rod!!!

And of coarse the latest can't miss baits!

I haven't seen so many "New and Improved" that looked like the "same-old in a new wrapper" since my last trip to the laundry soap aisle at the Super Market!

It reading the comments and viewing the testimonials I began to recall the theory of the"Big Lie."

Richard Belzer defines The Big Lie, in his book UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have To Be Crazy To Believe, this way:

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap."

In fishing terms I think that's sort of like the benefits of Fluorocarbon...

Then the latest must-have fads:

Reels with "go-fast" paint jobs.

Mini Guides.

Do they come with a needle threader?

And even more Split-Grips.

Does anyone else get those end knobs tangled in their jacket???

As kids weren't we catching fish on garden worms? Wasn't hi-tech a neon coloured rod?

When were we seduced into believing we needed ten shapes of plastic creatures, in eight colours, swing from $500.00 worth of space-age materials just to do the same job?

Okay, the truth is I need all this new stuff because the bass on my waters have a higher grade-point average than most College Freshmen, but I doubt that you do...HAHAHA

Yes Garry,things have definitely gone high tech. I for one have tried to keep my heels dug in over the years and not give into the dark side but there are some things out there that surely make life a lot easier so I would be a hypocrite if I said I never used special application reels and rods,not used flourocarbon tippets on my steelhead rigs and the odd spool of power pro on a muskie pole. I think everyone has their limitations or is it just me ??

Personally,I enjoy a river walk with my fly rod and a box of hand tied flys. Gives me a chance to get back to the basics and shake off a little stress.

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap." [/b][/i]

In fishing terms I think that's sort of like the benefits of fluorocarbon...

So far you are the only person I know of who's even hinted at that.

That's exactly how I feel about fluorocarbon and I've had many a heated discussion about it with friends. :)

You guys have no idea until you have checked out the UK/Euro carp scene. They have every wig-it, gadget, gee gaw, thinga ma bob and more. And they have them in 6 sizes in 3 different colours. Then there's bait.

They have something new every week never mind every year. I have seen gold plated gear for sale. I have seen grown men get excited over a 4 inch piece of 1/4" stainless rod because it is the latest "must have".

Not so bad that you have rods and reels to catch specific fish, but, bass boats, walleye boats, I wonder what a perch boat looks like. Then there's the winter ice fishing flashers, oh they have to go round and blink in fruity colours. Garry pretty much nailed that one.

Great post Garry and it makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the day when we only owned one rod but used it to catch everything from perch to musky and nobody had even heard of spinning reels yet :lol:

Great post Garry and it makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the day when we only owned one rod but used it to catch everything from perch to musky and nobody had even heard of spinning reels yet :lol:

Careful with that comment Lew

It really shows your age...unsure.gif

However I remember...we used a leader or a snap swivel to change lures on our only rod instead of carrying half a dozen rods with different lures...whistling.gif

Darn good topic!

Over the last 10 years I have been building a huge collection of fishing gear, at last count 19 rod and reel combinations, so much tackle that I had to have 4 different tackle boxes (and needed more).

The one thing I did add last year though was my HDS5 and I have to be honest with you I REALLY like it for several reasons. The GPS for navigatiing, the charts with contours, the detail, and the sensitivity.

Last year I started off having a really hard time finding and catching walleye, I tried everything in my tackle boxes (and several suggestions from other people) with very limited success.

Finally in frustration I went right back to basics; things I use to use 30 years ago and all of a sudden I started boating walleye again. (actual count, 186 walleye boated in the last half of the summer)

This year I am going to reduce my rod collection to 6 rods (2 ice fishing, 1 long rod, 1 ultra lite, 1 sensitive and 1 with good back bone)

I am going to reduce my tackle collection to 1 box and go back to mono on all my rods.

Back to basics here I come :canadian:

Careful with that comment Lew

It really shows your age...unsure.gif

However I remember...we used a leader or a snap swivel to change lures on our only rod instead of carrying half a dozen rods with different lures...whistling.gif

hey Beans, i still use a snap swivelthumbsup_anim.gif .I figure i caught tons a fish in my youth,using these, why not still use em.

I get the same feeling when i walk into sail, as i do when i walk into Best Buy or Future shop.Drives me crazy to NEED more toysdunno.gif I have 2 rod reel combos, and for now thats fine. It takesalot of willpower on my part, not to spend tons of money on new taclke and lures.So like a good tackleholic i ask for sail gift cards so i'm not actually spending my own money.blush.gif Justification.........sighblink.gif

I try to limit myself in what I have gathered up, and I still have too much gear. Doesn't help none that every special day incorporates at least 5-6 new additions to the collection.

Truth is there are 2 types of people the fishing industry looks at.1) Fisherman who just get out to fish for simple pleasure, Who wil not generate huge profits 2) the "tackle tart" who must have every latest gadget and gizmo on the market. They spend more time changing tackle on the water than actually fishing.

Tell a fisherman anything about catching a fish on a certain lure and they'll go by a dozen. Fisherman aren't the sharpest hooks in the box. A million lures later and I talk about myself like this. Most of the fish I've caught has been on terminal tackle, plain hook and sinker with live bait.

Now I wonder what lure I'm going to use :unsure::whistling::wallbash:

You ever ask your self when you leave the boat launch and drive to the other side of the lake maybe 10 miles, and at the end of the day you get back to the launch and a kid is fishing on the dock with a big stringer of fish that's bigger and better than you caught. Don't you just love it. :w00t::rofl2:

One of my old fishin buddys used to tell me, he did care how many more fish I caught than him. He just wanted the biggest because when we got back to the dock and people would only ask who caught the BIG ONE :D

Good thread Garry

I do agree with what you said Garry. I will play a little devil’s advocate just for fun :devil:

Over the last while, I’ve been given some new perspective on how precious and scarce time on the water can be. I dropped from fishing 4-6 days a week to only 1 day a week now if I’m lucky – Mainly because of work and having to visit the doctors and hospitals the other times I’m free.

Back in high-school I dated a girl who had a Japanese father who happened to love fishing as much as I did (and was the ultimate gear junky). The words of advice that he gave me when I asked about all of his tackle were this:

“If you only could get out a few times a year (like he did), wouldn’t you want to make that day as special as it can be? Wouldn’t you want the best tackle on that special day so you can enjoy yourself the most?”

While I don’t know in what context he used the term ‘best’, we could assume that it could refer to some things like: being light, durable, smooth, fast (or slow depending on your preference), comfortable or custom built to your preferences. Or it could mean designed species specific to give you the ‘best’ chance of catching them with a given a technique. In terms of lure quantity (or quality), wouldn't you want to have that 'special' lure in the event that none other in your tackle box are working?

That’s pretty much the mentality of the Japanese culture and I can’t argue with that. I'm told that there are more high end fly rods and reels per capita in Japan than anywhere else in the world.

Me personally, I just got an overpriced St Croix Legend Ultra UL ice rod (because it had the 24k gold plated spring indicator thingy built in), a new Hummindbird ice transducer (because carrying around a wooden stick + clamp was a pain), a new survival suit to keep warm and tomorrow I hope to pick up an underwater camera to make my days on the water extra special :D ...At least that’s what I told my mom when she asked about the new sled with all the stuff inside. She just rolls her eyes at me now :thumbsup_anim:

the "tackle tart" who must have every latest gadget and gizmo on the market. They spend more time changing tackle on the water than actually fishing.

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Tackle Tart......too funny.My Brother is one of these.He owns at least 20 rod combos, and easally 5K in tackle, not to mention designer wet suits and PFD's. Mind you, he has the bucks, but we were taught if you don't use it in 12 months, chuck it in the garbage.You know where i will be, garbage day, i year from todaywhistling.gif

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Tackle Tart......too funny.My Brother is one of these.He owns at least 20 rod combos, and easally 5K in tackle, not to mention designer wet suits and PFD's. Mind you, he has the bucks, but we were taught if you don't use it in 12 months, chuck it in the garbage.You know where i will be, garbage day, i year from todaywhistling.gif

Had a co-worker like that. 20 different mail order catalogues in his desk. More tackle than he could ever use. Took him 20 minutes to load his gear in the boat. Took 5 casts with a bait; no fish, change lure. He was so busy retying after blowing through the first 6-7 pretied rigs. All the while i'm working what I've got, catching fish, and pissing him off.

All the gear in the world will not make you a good angler.

You ever ask your self when you leave the boat launch and drive to the other side of the lake maybe 10 miles, and at the end of the day you get back to the launch and a kid is fishing on the dock with a big stringer of fish that's bigger and better than you caught. Don't you just love it. :w00t::rofl2:

Dave, that's because the kid lives on the other side of the lake. :)

Very True, but if we could not buy new fishing rods, reels, and tackle. We would need something else to try and collect., It's in our nature.

True Fishing baits are more for the fishermen than the fish but don't you like the pretty colours :)

Time is the one thing I wish I could buy more of but the cost is still too expensive right now.

Most of the new product centre around recurring themes:

New smaller, lighter reels with even more bearings and higher gear ratio's...

I just had this conversation with Rob (scugog) on Friday. At what point do reels become too light and throw balance in the other direction? Reels have almost become too light and rods tend to feel tip heavy! In fact, I mounted a Core 50 on an ice fishing rod. The balance was exquisite but do I really need a $400 ice combo?

(I bet Terry is trying his Calais DC on a ice rod as I type ;) )

Back to basics here I come :canadian:

And how much do you want for your HDS unit? ;)

Great thread 2r's. It's all true but I suspect many of us will continue to enjoy the enhancments in gear.

Not to center out Lew but he's someone many of us know. He has seen a lot of trends in fishing and could easily be identified as 'old school' in many ways. Yet, I don't think he'd be willing to downgrade that sexy boat; the four stroke Yamaha, colour electronics, the Calcutta TE, the fluoro leaders, the fin saver nets etc. It's enhanced his fishing pleasure.

Why do we do it? Because we can.

We call it "magpie syndrome" It is were the shine and the glitter catches your eye and you just pick it up. I have not bought a soft bait in I bet 3 years because I have so many that I have never opened hanging around.

Art

We call it "magpie syndrome" It is were the shine and the glitter catches your eye and you just pick it up. I have not bought a soft bait in I bet 3 years because I have so many that I have never opened hanging around.

Art

I don't usually buy much soft plastic. I'm still trying to use up the son's part packs of tournament plastics. He stopped tourny fishing 3 years back. The only things I need to buy each year are 2-3 packs of tubes.

I have my newest piece of tackle sitting in the shop right now, waiting for the final work to be done to it. It is Garry's fault that I bought it and spent the past year working on it. If he wouldn't of taken me out on his boat I would not have bought the same type as he has.

This is a great topic, and one thats bugged me for some time.

There seems to be Target market for every specific niche of fishing.

A man could go broke trying to get the "right" equipment.

And sometimes it seems people can almost be chastised for useing the "wrong" equipment... :rolleyes:

Sure there are many new advances that will help you increase your odds of putting

fish in the boat such as Spinning reels etc...

But you also have know how to cut through the Garbage or you'll end up burried in useless tackle and broke.

And I also think there is something to be said about keeping the sport enjoyable...

I try to keep a simple approach.

If I'm comfortable with it as I don't need be FULLY equiped...its all good

I'm a firm believer that confidence, and instinct will prevail over technology any day.

It also helps when my Fishing buddy BigSwede seems to have EVERYTHING any way

so I can just borrow, and test frive :sarcasm:

I fish for one thing, in one lake, with one rod, with one jig, with one worm.

I take enough worms, some spare jigs and a net when I go out. Never take a tackle box, it would just be something to trip over.

Most of the time I don't even know where my tackle box is.

What I do like is Fireline, Shimano reels and rods, a sonar and GPS.

I can understand that for fishermen that fish for multiple species in different lakes will need various types of tackle and equipment.

Back when the world was black & white, people said the same thing about sonars. Now every boat has one.

I agree there's a lot of junk out there that is just meant to separate you from the money in your wallet but one thing it does do is drive innovation, and that's not a bad thing.

Caveat Emptor; it's for you to decide what is gimmick and what is useless.

People won't buy tackle that they already own. So the guys who sell this crap have to keep inventing something else you can't possibly already own .... then convince you that you just can't live without it. All for the incredibly low, low price of just $179.95, no less.

What? How can you even begin to call yourself an angler unless you have an IM-19 Titanium Garry Two R's Signature Edition Pro Graphite 5'9" Rock Bass twitchin' stick, complete with micro Magnum Guides and multi-piece compound grip made of real genuine not-to-be-imitated synthetic foam? Perfectly made to balance the all-new Solopaddler signature series reel, with 127 ball bearings hand-made by Swiss craftsmen and pre-loaded with the all-new 1.4 lb. test Spectral Carbon Wonder Filament, utilizing the latest in micro-polymer technology to make a line you can't even see!

English translation: the same reel we made 15 years ago, but now it's orange and silver, and the same rod we sold in the 60s for $19 but now it's $200 and has a handle made up of old bicycle grips. Line up!!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie