Sign in to follow this  
castgame

winter camping - bears?

a friend and i are hitting middle shanty lake this week to try for splake. plan is to snowshoe in, set up camp, fish a day, and then out again. bears should be hibernating, right? or should i still be cautious and set up a hang?

also, any info on the fishing in this lake/region would be helpful. it's just west of algonquin.

No worries Man!!

At this time of year, even if a bear would happen to wander out from his hole in the ground ,highly unlikely, that it would happen and, if it did , even more unlikely that you'd have an encounter.

Randy

:canadian:

Bears should be hibernating; but other animals such as fishers, linx, wolves, etc. are out and about.

good point! though i think i'd be more worried for my fish than for myself

worried?

all you need to know is that you can out run your friend... :tease:

and a can of wasp spray is better then bear repellent, it squirts up to 20' and you can aim it.

Like its been said....Bears are Fast Asleep.

They "might" wander out for peek a boo, but this time of year they are so larthargic you could probobly kick his butt back down his hole LOL...

Seriously you're in very little danger from a bear encounter.

Common misconception that bears hibernate. They go into a very deep sleep, but it isn't true hibernation. They can rouse during warm spells, but I doubt that the recent few days would have any effect.

worried?

all you need to know is that you can out run your friend... :tease:

and a can of wasp spray is better then bear repellent, it squirts up to 20' and you can aim it.

Bear spray can is pressurized to squirt far away too.

Bear spray can is pressurized to squirt far away too.

Ned is that something you now carry?????

Just don't lock it in the car bud :whistling::lol:

Edited by Whopper

bears are all sleeping we had two of our beagles go in a den first week of november with a big bruiser 450+lbs the guy was freaking the bear started to move at the two beagles barking and trying to bite its ass he had to go right in den and grab dogs , but bear didnt wake up at all

u will see lots of bear puke and crap if they have been up and about

this den there was crap and puke everywhere outside den

you would think there was a kegger going on

there are lots of wovles around this yr the minstry when i talked to them say they have peaked this yr and are everywhere

bears are all sleeping we had two of our beagles go in a den first week of november with a big bruiser 450+lbs the guy was freaking the bear started to move at the two beagles barking and trying to bite its ass he had to go right in den and grab dogs , but bear didnt wake up at all

u will see lots of bear puke and crap if they have been up and about

this den there was crap and puke everywhere outside den

you would think there was a kegger going on

there are lots of wovles around this yr the minstry when i talked to them say they have peaked this yr and are everywhere

we saw no sign of bear but the trail in had at least three sets of wolf tracks--two adults and a cub. i think that was a first for me!