New Year vacation - Up North

icefisherman

Well after searching far and wide and not been able to organize anything for Abitibi I managed to do next best thing...made reservations and took the whole family a bit South of there - small Ontario town called Kearns, right on the border with Quoebec, right on Trans-Canada Hwy. Did few days of great family skiing at Mount Kanasuta in Quebec (first time on ski for my kids) and a day of ice fishing and loooooooooong snowmobile riding into Quebec (Le Barge Lac)....Was hard going for the snowmobiles as snow was soft and there was a lot of slush/water on the ice, but plenty of ice...

Got my limit of eyes in my first ever Quebec/Northern ice fishing expedition....

Last night we were treated by our hosts to a New Year Evening party in the open with bunch of local families around what was the largest fire I've ever seen in my life....the structure must have been over 75 feet tall, very wide and nicely built....When in full force people were eating/drinking/partying in their short sleeve shirts well into the morning on January 1.

Kids had super time, got all wet and tired.....tried bear stew again for the first time....very delicious...

People up there were all fantastic...love their mentality and way of life....seriously thinking of moving up there one day....

Couldn't see one stressed/upset person...all smiling/happy/helping each other, sharing....relaxed....what a pleasant experience for all of us it was....were talking with my wife about it for 8 hours while driving back...

Anyhow....

Great trip....will do it again for sure...fantastic place for fishermen and hunters alike....

Here are few pictures....but they sure don't do justice to all the great time we've all had.

By the way on the way back today we've stopped in Wayne's favorite Chinese restaurant in Temagami. Nice lunch, hot soup and good service for sure....I knew I can trust you Wayne :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Happy New Year to everyone.

IMGA2869.jpg

IMGA2871.jpg

IMGA2872.jpg

IMGA2873.jpg

IMGA2878.jpg

IMGA2879.jpg

IMGA2923.jpg

IMGA2884.jpg

IMGA2885.jpg

IMGA2898.jpg

IMGA2912.jpg

IMGA2917.jpg

IMGA2919.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Thx for sharing Emil. The smiling faces in the pictures say it all :thumbsup_anim: Sounds like an excellent holiday to me. And you are correct. Small town folks are just that much nicer...in so many ways. It really is a different world.

BTW if we get some safe ice sometime this winter I think I need another trip out with you on Simcoe so I can get a few whities and lakers. Still learning the ropes..so I will take all the help I can get ;)

Thanks for sharing Emil!!! Glad Helen and Terry took care of your stomach on the way home!!!

Yes Wayne, they sure are great....as soon as I mentioned "a good friend of mine Wayne who is also your neighbor, has recommended your restaurant to me" waoooooooo.......that sure made the woman smiling year to year...will sure stop by there again. She was saying ice on Temagami is getting a bit iffy with all the rain/high temps.

Thx for sharing Emil. The smiling faces in the pictures say it all :thumbsup_anim: Sounds like an excellent holiday to me. And you are correct. Small town folks are just that much nicer...in so many ways. It really is a different world.

BTW if we get some safe ice sometime this winter I think I need another trip out with you on Simcoe so I can get a few whities and lakers. Still learning the ropes..so I will take all the help I can get ;)

Consider it done Steve....not the only question is....boat of walking?!!? :unsure::worthy:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Emil it's more than a little ironic.

I couldn't really offer you any suggestions when you were looking for a place to go. Then you go to Kearns which is less than 10 mins from my cottage landing LOL!

If you had a snowmachine and didn't mind no running water you could have stayed at my cabin. :lol:

Lots of great back lakes up there. :)

Happy New Year!

Hey Ice

Great way to welcome in the New Year :thumbsup_anim:

Just enough Ice on the Big Lake to make the launch of a boat pretty much impossible :angry:

Been out a few times on the South end of Cooks Bay for some Perch, Lots of Fish, But mostly throwbacks,

Have not been able to get over to the NE location because of ice conditions.

I see you are still hauling that Marcum around :sarcasm:

It will be a while before we can get on the Big Lake :angry:

But if you want to bring the Boys up For some Perching :Gonefishing:

Let me Know

Have FUN

Rick

Happy New Year Brian!

Hey looks like our annual Simcoe trip this year maybe from the boat not from the ice....

Get ready! :Gonefishing:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Oh I'm ready! Been shopping already, got my 2011 license and the ice rig is all charged up. I have a new ice rod with a baitcaster to try out this year. This will be my year to outfish you; I hate spinning reels!

Nice to see you and the family out having a great time. The young lad looks to have grown a tad.

I was wondering if Jordan was shrinking?

Hahahaha guys,

thanks for your kind comments....it sure was quite the excitement for all of us....kids are now hooked on skiing...I am hooked on moving up North one day...and possibly getting hunting license...and my wife loves the bear stew more than the beef one ha ha ha....winners all around...

walleyemaster - Brian must have misplaced the invitation letter as he was handling them :whistling:

Now Mike.....what can I say Bud - you are right it is more than accidental...it only tells you, this is the year you make up some time and join me for those Simcoe whities...no more excuses please....now that you've sorted all about your new house too :Gonefishing:

Rick,

Just got fresh info on where we can still launch a boat (PM me if interested;-)

I am afraid it'll be 20 days or more before we have enough ice for the whities...too long of a wait...don't you think...there has to be a better way to catch some ha ha ha :thumbsup_anim:

And yes even I can't believe how fast kids are growing...sure are fun seeing them learning...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman