A Rant if I May

Joey

When I bought the new boat in '09 I went to the licensing office to transfer the license plate from the old trailer to the new one and the clerk couldn't find any record of my plate on her computer.

She asked me where it was and I told her I'd had it for years and it was still on my old trailer. She told me to have a seat and she'd check the system further. She called me back up about 30 minutes later to tell me she'd finally located a record of my plate but it had been "removed from the system" 5 years earlier and was no longer valid but she had absolutely no idea why a perfectly valid license plate would be wiped out, or why I was never notified about it.

I asked her what would have happened if I'd been stopped by the police and they found out my license plate didn't really exist and she said "I dunno, I spose you woulda been in trouble " :dunno:

I had to purchase a new plate for my trailer and was told to destroy the old plate. I asked her how I should destroy something that doesn't exist and was given another "I dunno" :dunno:

It's really sad when such seemingly simple tasks are made to seem so difficult. :wallbash:

Edited by lew

Hi, When I bought my new boat, I called ahead to make sure that when I went to the license bureau that I had everything. I was trading my old boat and when she asked me for the old boat's V.I.N. I read it off to her. She said that I was short one number, that there should be 17 numbers. So I call the dealer where I traded my old boat and asked them to go out in the yard and check my boat's V.I.N. They read back to me the same 16 digit number I had. I then told them my dilema and he told me that they run into this all the time and to simply add a zero at the beginning. Went back in and gave her the same number with a zero at the beginning and voila...it went thru. Go figure....

:wallbash:

I'm not going to even start in on this one............

Bloated bureaucray, ineptitude, stupidity, incompetence...........

How many people are on the Sunshine List (those earning $100k+)??

worthy.gif

We all got a few of these stories for sure.

Personally I get the impression they are just under a lot of imformation overload. They basically tell you stuff that they hope will be correct if the guy next to him or her is doing there job correctly and so on.I'm sure like anywhere else key stroke errors go unnoticed in heat of the moment when theres lines of people breathing down your throat. Not trying to make excuses for them but I can only imagine how it must be dealing with the public at times...

I just remembered another governmemt screw-up involving a new boat purchase.

I bought a new boat in 1999 and payed cash for it including all taxes and licensing and went on my way. Two years later I got a letter from the government...can't remember which one....wanting a copy of my bill of sale to prove I'd payed all my sales tax on the boat. Not a big problem so I sent them the photocopy showing everything was payed in full.

Couple years later I got another letter from them requesting the same thing again, so I sent them yet another photocopy showing I didn't owe them anything.

Well they say things happen in three's and sure enuff, I get yet another letter from these characters wanting proof for the 3rd time that taxes were payed.

I totally ignored the final demand and never heard from them again, so perhaps I should have ignored the other letters too.

I still have my original bill of sale though just incase they decide to harrass me again for the taxes.

It really is sad.

I just remembered another governmemt screw-up involving a new boat purchase.

I bought a new boat in 1999 and payed cash for it including all taxes and licensing and went on my way. Two years later I got a letter from the government...can't remember which one....wanting a copy of my bill of sale to prove I'd payed all my sales tax on the boat. Not a big problem so I sent them the photocopy showing everything was payed in full.

Couple years later I got another letter from them requesting the same thing again, so I sent them yet another photocopy showing I didn't owe them anything.

Well they say things happen in three's and sure enuff, I get yet another letter from these characters wanting proof for the 3rd time that taxes were payed.

I totally ignored the final demand and never heard from them again, so perhaps I should have ignored the other letters too.

I still have my original bill of sale though just incase they decide to harrass me again for the taxes.

It really is sad.

That's crazy Lew. Never throw anything away is what I've learned, ever :wallbash: