Fishnwire

"Centre" or "Center"

Is it "centre" or "center"...the context is this:

Amongst the other electricians at the mine I work, we began refering to our underground shop as the "action centre" (or center) as a little joke because the phone rings off the hook down there sometimes.

I looked at online dictionaries and can't seem to determine if both are equally acceptable, or one would be better. Is it just a Canadian vs American thing?

Thanx in advance.

are you american or canadian?

:)

doesnt really matter. both are correct spelling.

Edited by ReTodd

I'm not a teacher nor a scholar but...

I think ; CENTER means the middle of something "I shot the bulls eye in the CENTER"

CENTRE

"I'm going to pick up a new fishing rod at the shopping CENTRE"

??????????????

Randy

:canadian:

I'm not a teacher nor a scholar but...

I think ; CENTER means the middle of something "I shot the bulls eye in the CENTER"

CENTRE

"I'm going to pick up a new fishing rod at the shopping CENTRE"

??????????????

Randy

:canadian:

that's the way I used it too

I am in agreement with Randy and Terry on this.

It is a British and American thing. I believe the spelling was changed around the same time that the spelling of colour and color, neighbour and neighbor, etc were changed.

Tom.

Centre is English (ie Canadian) spelling, center is American spelling, they also have a bad habit of dropping u's like in colour and honour. :wallbash:

Centre is English (ie Canadian) spelling, center is American spelling, they also have a bad habit of dropping u's like in colour and honour. :wallbash:

Exactly.

is that humor ..or humour?

Ask Roy,that second looks kinda french to me. :dunno::oops: Wheres that"me bad" sign????

Edited by BrianB

in PQ centre is french, center is english.Metre is french, meter is english, and Peter is english and Petre is...Russianrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Happy New Year Everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. The rest of you are illiterate heathens.

Hey, the rest of the world can't expect to be as perfect as us Canucks. ;)

The difference in spelling is regional/cultural it is not because of any one group being heathens or illiterates.Lets keep this on track or it will be locked

Art

The difference in spelling is regional/cultural it is not because of any one group being heathens or illiterates.Lets keep this on track or it will be locked

Art

Wow.

I guess some people don't see the humour or the <_<:rolleyes: 's

or like Wayne said the button we can't name has been passed on

Edited by Terry

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

mon Dieu!

:whistling:

Centre of attention

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus