Question for the Generator/electrical buffs

Cookslav

So I'm looking at getting a Generator for My Trailer.

My question is Does anybody here use a Genny to power their trailer, and if so, what size are you using.

I have sent an e-mail into the manufactured looking for a reccomendation as well, but I'd be interested in hearing others oppinions as well.

I am fairly certain a 2000wat unit will run the basics like a microwave, Coffee pot, TV, or Toaster.

I've even been told it will run the 13,000BTU A/C unit but I'd need to shut it down to use anything else.

Here's my big question....

My trailer has Full Battery Back up for the lights, and Furnace.

This means the minute I plug the trailer into the Generator the Battery Charger will come on.

That will add to the draw obviously, so at that point is 2000Watts enough to run a Toaster?

Also,

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but being the Lights, and furnace fan are all on a D/C system even when using the lights, I should not need to factor in their draw when calculating my generator requirements as they will draw from the battery, but the battery will obviously draw from the charger, which will obviously draw MORE then the lights, and furnace fan them selves anyway???

I could just go get a 4000Watt Genny, but thats big, bulky, Loud, and expensive....

I'd love to be able to get an Inverter series 2000Watt unit.

Quiet, portable, fuel effiecent....

Sorry for the gazzilion questions...I'm just looking for opinions, and experiences :D

So I'm looking at getting a Generator for My Trailer.

My question is Does anybody here use a Genny to power their trailer, and if so, what size are you using.

I have sent an e-mail into the manufactured looking for a reccomendation as well, but I'd be interested in hearing others oppinions as well.

I am fairly certain a 2000wat unit will run the basics like a microwave, Coffee pot, TV, or Toaster.

I've even been told it will run the 13,000BTU A/C unit but I'd need to shut it down to use anything else.

Here's my big question....

My trailer has Full Battery Back up for the lights, and Furnace.

This means the minute I plug the trailer into the Generator the Battery Charger will come on.

That will add to the draw obviously, so at that point is 2000Watts enough to run a Toaster?

Also,

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but being the Lights, and furnace fan are all on a D/C system even when using the lights, I should not need to factor in their draw when calculating my generator requirements as they will draw from the battery, but the battery will obviously draw from the charger, which will obviously draw MORE then the lights, and furnace fan them selves anyway???

I could just go get a 4000Watt Genny, but thats big, bulky, Loud, and expensive....

I'd love to be able to get an Inverter series 2000Watt unit.

Quiet, portable, fuel effiecent....

Sorry for the gazzilion questions...I'm just looking for opinions, and experiences :D

I can't answer all you questions as I am not qualified but I can answer a couple on experience as I had a trailer that had both battery powered and 110 volt lights, furnace fan and water pump...

First a 2000 watt generator will NEVER run a A/C unit...second if you want a small 2000 watt generator get a HONDA as they are the quietest available and that is a HUGE thing when camping in the wild.

A good battery and a smart on-board charger is a must and it sounds like that is what you already have....we did a out west trip (6,500 miles in 30 days) and never had a battery problem but would stay at a electric site every other stop to top off the battery and I had a trickle charger from my tow vehicle also. Water was a much more of a concern for us as we were near our gross trailer/tow vehicle weight limit...really learned the importance of water conservation on that trip and we still imply it today.

Good Luck,

Bob

First a 2000 watt generator will NEVER run a A/C unit...second if you want a small 2000 watt generator get a HONDA as they are the quietest available and that is a HUGE thing when camping in the wild.

I was a bit leary on the AC thing as well....Starting amps on a 13,000BTU system is about 2200Watts, sure it would run the unit "IF" if could actually get it started with out tripping.

Not sold on the HONDA though....

They are very tempting as they run great and are super quite BUT.....they are REEELY expensive comparativly speaking.

A 2000watt invert from Honda(or Yamaha)is $1600

Honeywell, kipor, briggs and straton....all half the price or less, with simliar specs

Honda is the leader for sure as it has a half load decible rating of 59 which is amazing, but the others are like 62....

Not sure the 3 decibles is worth the extra $800?

Honeywell has some poor feedback I've found though....

Kipor on the other hand seems to be a stand up model, and we have a Brigs at the hunt camp that never dies so,

I can't see my self dishing the extra coin out on a honda.

but that being said they are great gennys....just overpriced IMO?

2000 isn't going to cut it.

My microwave kicks out the breaker on my Mitsubishi 2500 yet it will run the water pump, go figure :mellow:

Also agree on the Honda generator,tough, durable and fuel efficient. Pretty much anything else pales in comparison. At least anything I have tried.

I'd look at 3000+ watts. No sense in having a trailer with bells and whistles that you can't use.

I'm leaning that way right now...problem is they start to get bulky and noisey at that size.

I may have to concede the noise level, an in which case I might as well go with a 4000amp, with wheels LOL....

The Honda is definitely expensive and may be over priced. I have a Sears 5600/6500 watt unit as a back up for my whole house....never tried to run the central A/C unit off of it though....BUT it's as NOISY as HSBC Center when the Sabres beat the Maple Leafs again....sorry couldn't resist... :devil:

Bob :santa:

Hey Bernie,

How many Watts is your Microwave?

The one I have in the trailer is only 900Watt

I can't see that tripping a 2000watt Genny?

Although....with a battery charger running :dunno:

Thats the biggest question I need answered from the Manufacturer I think?

What is the draw from the Charger....

As a trailer owner that at best has an temperamental Ont hydro service I have a generator as back up.I run the genny from 12-6 pm half the the summer because of a near permanent brown out.If you are going to use it regularly DO NOT skimp out.I have a Yamaha 3000sei that I have had for 6 years and only have changed the oil,My sister has had a Kipor 3000 for 6 yrs. and has had it replaced under warranty once and now it needs to be fixed again for the 3rd time.

On my 24ft trailer I could run everything with no problem but on my new 32ft park model if I am running the air-tv-satellite-12v converter-lights I can't run the toaster or coffee maker but who drinks coffee when the lites are on.

One thing I can tell you is that after 1-2 hours of a genny running LOUDLY you are ready for the loonie bin.Most people at my park don't even now that I am using mine because its SO quiet.

vance

Another thing to consider is that of the cheaper noisier gens produce dirty power that is hard on electronics because of constant spiking of the power produced.A guy down from me scored a great deal on a gen that took out his tv & microwave in 10 minutes.

vance

My mind works slowly so I am now up to my 3rd post on this.The battery charger ONLY works if the battery is depleted,the whole 12v system works off your converter which has the battery charger built into it.I would give you the specs but that is an eight hour drive for me.

Bigbuck if you are in a park you don't have enough room on your site to NOT interfere with your neighbors peace and quiet and you have to remember that the longer the cord the less power available.

vance

Okay, I've got a seasonal 22 ft trailer and no power where we are set up. The furnace, water pump, lights, fan all run off 12V DC, the 700W Micro a couple other 120V lights, and converter run off either my Honda 2000 EU or the 3000EU depending on how long I'm staying during the hot weather. The 3000 will run everything including a 13.5K BTU AC. During the cooler months, I just use the 2000 for the coffee pot, toaster, TV. During the month of May, maybe part of June and late September I use the furnace, it will run 2 days no problems without recharging the battery. My daily routine has the genny running for about 40 minutes max in the morning for coffee and toaster and maybe some Chronzy fishing if the weathers bad. During that time the battery gets recharged enough. The TV will also run off a 12V to 120V inverter if I don't want to run the genny at night.

Generator quality = you get what you pay for, you buy a cheap made in China piece of bovine excrement and you'll have every neighbour throwning rocks at you when it's running. Honda or Yamaha, there are a couple others, Kipor that come close in quality and noise(lack of), the rest, junk. We go around pulling spark plug wires and have noisy raiding parties for those that don't toe the line. One guy eventually left trailer and all, he thought his contractor model 3500 was just fine, WE DIDN'T.

While your converter is recharging, it takes a very small amount of 120V AC to turn it into 12V DC. If you want more info, shoot me a PM, I've been doing this for about 15 years.

In a park it is a different story. I know if most of my neighbours had gennies going, it would be pretty loud and not enjoyable. Thankfully, the longest we went without power was about 5-6 hours so no big deal. Mind you, I'm in a small park with only 8 trailers with plenty of space in between. Get yourself a good unit. As mentioned above, cheap ones are just that, they will fry your electronics and that gets costly. If it means waiting a couple of months to save up a bit extra, go that route so you don't regret it later, buying a piece of junk will cost you more because you'll end up having to buy something decent later.

As others have said don't skimp on quality.

I got a trailer this year and needed an inexpensive genny as I couldn't afford a 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha this year so I bought a cheapo 1300 watt job for a super cheap price. It sounds like you're standing beside a 747 taking off when it's running!!!! :w00t: But for the $140 brand new it cost me it was fine for now.

My buddy in Alaska is going to hook me up with a new 2000 watt Yamaha next year which will be really nice. He can get me one for about $800 with his contractor discount. :good::good:

The dealer here in Yellowknife wants $2000 for the same one. :wallbash::wallbash:

My 1300 watt unit will trip the breaker when running my onboard charger and my espresso machine. :( The current draw on the espresso machine is rated at 900 watts so my charger will draw somewhere north of 400 watts when it is doing it's thing.

nothing wrong with the champion ones they have at costco, my brother would rip the cord off every year on purpose go back and get a new one, great retun policy at costco, he did that for at least 4 years,then got a diesel single piston gen...what a mistake that thing is loud .

You should first calculate all of the loads, in watts, you think you would have operating at the same time. Either total all of the equipment rated in watts or find the amp rating of the equipment and multiply by the rated voltage to convert to watts (i e 10amps X 120volts = 1200watts). The total load in watts should never exceed 80% of the rating of the generator so if you have 3000 watts of load in your trailer then you need a 4KW generator.

Hope this helps.

You should first calculate all of the loads, in watts, you think you would have operating at the same time. Either total all of the equipment rated in watts or find the amp rating of the equipment and multiply by the rated voltage to convert to watts (i e 10amps X 120volts = 1200watts). The total load in watts should never exceed 80% of the rating of the generator so if you have 3000 watts of load in your trailer then you need a 4KW generator.

Hope this helps.

Very good advice....just wondering with the cheap units if they really are putting out the advertised watts.

I have worked on Kipours, any of the ones I ever worked on had a Honda engine in them. (or at least used Honda parts)

Almost all of the repairs I had to do were fuel related, i.e. someone had left un stabilized fuel in them for extended periods of time then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start.

I also owned one and as long as you used fuel stabilizer in it there was never any trouble with it. Personally, I found them to be an excellent generator.

I would go with 3000 watts though.