Any Ice on Simcoe?

hockeyplayerz_14

Was on the Cooks Bay site and there was a guy out fishing Cooks 14' FTW catching small Perch, he said there was 4" of ice were "he" was. But your on your own. Just be careful. Myself, I'd wait another week. A fish is not worth your life.

I wouldn't want to read about a OFC'ER gone missing.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Is there any? I will be heading out tommorow and wanted to know if anything has formed, if so how thick? :canadian::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: I am going with my buddy.

Hey Fishman, I'm heading to Viginia Beach tomorrow morning to check things out. Where on Simcoe have you guys decided on?

Ok...here is my experience only. I would never suggest to anyone that the ice is SAFE at anytime of the year. I walked out from Gilford yesterday (17 Dec). I spudded my way out and drilled holes along the way. There was a small soft spot right at shore and then no more slush. There was only maybe 2 to 3 inches of snow on top of the ice, so it was pretty good for walking out. Walked out about 500 metres to ten feet of water. Ice at this distance was approximately 5 inches thick with four inches of good ice and one inch of honeycomb on top. Fished there for a while and lots of fish, however small for the most part. Walked out about another 300 metres to 16 fow. Ice there was approximately 4 1/2 inches again with the majority being nice clear ice. Bite here was good as well with with more keeper.

Again, this is very early in season, spudded our way out all the way and did not find any punky spots. This is my experience only and care must be used at all times.

Cheers all...have a great season

Craig

My bro told my wife he is going out of pefferlaw tomorrow. He doesn't have any ice fishing gear at all...so I am assuming one of the hut guys is taking him out. I have not been able to confirm this with him. Anybody know of any activity in that area? I was up that way last weekend and the ice there looked like crap.

Maybe my wife got the message from my bro mixed up too...I don't know.