LED v LCD v Plasma

siwash

SAMSUNG plasma 100% !!!!!!!! I have a 42" Samsung 720P Plasma that I won in a sales competition about 4 years ago. Still running strong... its currently my computer monitor !

I purchased a 50" Samsung 1080P plasma ($1099) last spring and I love it ! I just got my home theater set up and watched "Toy Story 3" last night on Blu-ray .... Amazing !!

50" Samsung 1080P Plasma

Bose 5.1 surround

Playstation 3 ( blu-ray)

HD Satellite

SAMSUNG plasma 100% !!!!!!!! I have a 42" Samsung 720P Plasma that I won in a sales competition about 4 years ago. Still running strong... its currently my computer monitor !

I purchased a 50" Samsung 1080P plasma ($1099) last spring and I love it ! I just got my home theater set up and watched "Toy Story 3" last night on Blu-ray .... Amazing !!

HUMMM. you have a 42'' computer monitor.....and you watch cartoons on a 50'' Plasma.whistling.gif

Just kiddin..........rolleyes.gif

Edited by mercman

There is an awful lot of misinformation here. I have the best TV ever made the Pioneer Elite Kuro and have yet to see any LCD that's remotely watchable. LCD suffers from poor viewing angles, cartoonish inaccurate colours and motion lag. LED sets are simply backlit with LEDs rather than CCFLs and may some have local dimming which will drive you crazy and some don't they also come in all white or RGB but regardless they are all LCD TVs. OLEDs will be a true LED set but the tech isn't ready yet as even a 20" is many thousands of dollars. For good information read up at avsforums.com. Just to clarify a 600hz plasma is a totally different specification than a 120/480 refresh rate on an LCD and one has nothing to do with the other. When Pioneer announced they were getting out of plasmas, they lost $500 on every set due to their advanced tech, I bought 4 of them and have turned down $12,000 offers for what was a $7K set.

I just purchased a 42" samsung plasma last week for my new place in jan.

We were leaning towards an LCD until the saleswoman started asking me questions like how much sports do I watch and about the lighting in the room.

She had also mentioned that it had the same life span as the others (LCD,LED) which was 100,000 hours. I was told not to buy plasma before I went looking because of over heating issues. I did ask her about that and she said with the new technology now it isn't an issue. I hope she's right and I did give her the benefit of the doubt because in all honesty, I know nothing about TV technology.

Its hard to say from the replies if I made the right decision.We will see I guess.

There are some great deals right now TV's tho....Wow..

TDunn

burn in, glare, etc. are the stuff of legend and myth. the original flat screens had burn and glare issues but that is long since resolved. im a samsung fan i have a 4 series lcd, a 5 series lcd and a 6 series plasma, all great tvs

Well, we have at least six screens at work that are hard to see much on because of burnt in 'legend'. There is a reason computer monitors are LCD or LED.

I just purchased a 42" samsung plasma last week for my new place in jan.

We were leaning towards an LCD until the saleswoman started asking me questions like how much sports do I watch and about the lighting in the room.

She had also mentioned that it had the same life span as the others (LCD,LED) which was 100,000 hours. I was told not to buy plasma before I went looking because of over heating issues. I did ask her about that and she said with the new technology now it isn't an issue. I hope she's right and I did give her the benefit of the doubt because in all honesty, I know nothing about TV technology.

Its hard to say from the replies if I made the right decision.We will see I guess.

There are some great deals right now TV's tho....Wow..

TDunn

sales people sell, thats what they are trained to do.Be wary.

are they older rick? ive been told this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore, and you can 'wash' the screen of any problems

The worse ones are the newer ones. Semi-static display over a roulette section and race track channel and they are toast. We were also told you could fix the issue..not so much.

sales people sell, thats what they are trained to do.Be wary.

Your right and I realize that.

I was there to buy a TV, plain and simple. Plasma, LCD or LED. I bought a TV that was on sale and it was not the most expensive one I was looking at. She just sold me on Plasma vs. LCD/LED....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

I went Plasma with a Samsung 8 series. Absolutely love it. It's in the dark basement (even with all the lights on - pots - there's no change to picture quality or any reflection issues) and is mostly used for gaming, sports, and movies. Colours are fantastic - deep and rich, and you can't beat the blacks/contrast on a plasma. It came down to the Samsung or Panasonic G or V series plasma. Burn in is not so much of a concern these days, though they call it Image Retention now - as long as you 'break it in' properly. To be extra cautious, I make sure that I set my sleep timer on the tv in case I fall asleep with a video game on. Six hours of static menus/graphics up on the screen is not good for any plasma.

And you're not doing your HD tv justice if you don't watch how amazing Blu Ray looks. Animated flicks on Blu Ray look so life-like it's unreal. Vids from my GoPro HD camera look amazing.

For basic tv-watching in HD, or DVDs, you'd hardly notice the difference between similar spec'd LCD vs LED vs Plasma in my opinion. Its the stuff that's made to take advantage of the full resolution (like HD video games and blu ray) that really allow the TV's features to shine.

Probably the best plasma tv made to date! Period. Unreal colors and speed. All around though....I'm still LCD

Edited by ctdd2006

when we moved into our appartment... the glare was horrible on my 27" jvc tube tv...

i tried moving it on every side of the room with no luck...

we picked up a 50" plasma and it has solved the glare issue completely...

Wasn't planning on buying a tv, but the price on the plasma was what made the sale...

Best radio I know of is made by Grundig. They make two sizes, a smaller size which I have and a bigger size that would be nice around a camp. I've had mine a few years and at the time I bought mine Radio Shack carried them. Nothing like listening to a game on the radio when you're working around the house. As far as TV's are concerned I have had a 46" Samsung 1080P LCD 120hz in the family room for 4 years. It's been a a great set so I just put a 50" Samsung plasma 1080P 600hz in my game room. We love it but I can't really see much difference between the two in picture quality. The plasma was on sale at Best Buy for around $900, I paid a heck of a lot more 4 years ago for the LCD.

Sony outsourced the manufacture of their tv's to Indonesia about 10 years agao. In doing so, they also outsource the manufacture of the components of their tvs... so who ever said earlier in the thread that the only thing left on a Sony TV that is Sony, is the name plate got it partially right... I'm sure they outsourced the making of the plastic plate as well.

All this stuff is very personal and the only way to determin what's right for you is to go out there and look at TVs... but that can be problematic as you have to ensure that the tvs are all set up the same way and that can also be a challenge.

I have a 46inch Panasonic Viera plasma and to my eye, plasma looks much more organic than LCD... very much like, to me anyway, the difference in sound between a very good vynal audio system and CD's.

To my ear, vynal sounds warm and real, CD (digital) sound s harsh and brittle.

BTW - my plasma sits right beside 8ft patio windows and we have NO problem with light... they fixed that stuff years ago!

HH

I'm pretty sure they're made in Mexico.

Probably the best plasma tv made to date! Period. Unreal colors and speed. All around though....I'm still LCD

Incorrect. The Pioneer Kuro would take it hands down. These tv's were sold in 2008, and are far better than the tv's sold today. It's a shame that Pioneer got out of the tv business. Although, I herd they sold their patent to Panasonic. So be on the look out for high quality Panasonic tv's in the near future.

Incorrect. The Pioneer Kuro would take it hands down. These tv's were sold in 2008, and are far better than the tv's sold today. It's a shame that Pioneer got out of the tv business. Although, I herd they sold their patent to Panasonic. So be on the look out for high quality Panasonic tv's in the near future.

They are already here, there is Kuro tech in the Panasonic VT Series

:)

They are already here, there is Kuro tech in the Panasonic VT Series

:)

Not yet the full patent is available for viewing now and it still makes no financial sense for Panasonic to use it. They bought some but not all of the intellectual property and with companies more concerned with 3D than the accuracy of 2D TVs I expect my

PRO-141FD - Elite® Signature Series 60'' Class

will rule the roost for a time longer.

Yup, there are some awesome TV's available these days, although I'll put my Panny VT up against anything :)

good tv for sure....but not quite in the 8series samsung class of last year...but you got the SD slot...that's worth a LOT in my eyes!

don't get me wrong.. the VT is awesome and Pioneer...probly best but not relevant now. All great TV's though.

Edited by ctdd2006