LED v LCD v Plasma

siwash

Dark room with low light or if you are a gamer or if you watch lots of sports, go with plasma. Refresh rate is 600 hz compared with 240 or 120 in the led or lcd. Lots of natural light I would go with a 240 hz lcd or led. Looks like things are going the led way these days. I would spend the extra money to get at least 120 hz. Makes a big difference. I can't stand watching blurry pucks and players while watching hockey games.

We've got a 52" Samsung LCD in the den and 40" sets in 2 of the bedrooms. All 3 sets are 1080p, 120Hz and they all produce very nice, clear pictures. The den has 3 large windows and even with the bright sunlight the picture is still good.

I wanted another set for the family room downstairs so I went out on Friday and bought another Samsung with the same features.

I don't watch much TV myself and seldom, if ever watch sports, but these 4 Samsungs seem really good and offer everything I need.

The nature shows in HD are incredible.

Edited by lew

SMALL radio, no CD player.....it has to be small with good sound for when she's working and can listen to country music and weather reports on the AM side.

Phillips or JVC.Although most have cd these days. Cneck out bestbuy site. it will give you a good idea whats out there.

Don't you ever sleep up there...... :santa:

Nah, he's listening to country tunes on WWVA Wheeling, West Virginia. :)

EDIT: Oops, I just Googled WWVA and see that they're now a talk radio format. Goes to show you how often I listen to the radio.

The last time I checked the Consumer's Report book, Samsung was the best quality for your buck. But it's the cables the sales people try to sell you that are the big rip off. There is no difference in picture quality if you use 15.00 dollar connection cables versus the 100.00 dollar or more Monster cables that they try to sell you before you leave the store. I was amazed when I saw this test done by an independent lab that tested picture quality using sophisticated equipment and the picture quality was exactly the same.

The last time I checked the Consumer's Report book, Samsung was the best quality for your buck. But it's the cables the sales people try to sell you that are the big rip off. There is no difference in picture quality if you use 15.00 dollar connection cables versus the 100.00 dollar or more Monster cables that they try to sell you before you leave the store. I was amazed when I saw this test done by an independent lab that tested picture quality using sophisticated equipment and the picture quality was exactly the same.

this is so true. Get the cheaper cables.if you have problems, then get the shielded ones.

I have been in the market for a tv for a while now. Just recently I pulled the trigger on a 60" Sony led. I have read countless reviews about all tvs. They all have their issues. I then quickly realised that warranty is going to be the most important aspect of whatever I purchase. With a little digging around I learned that Costco gives you 3 years warranty if you sign up for their American Express card (2 years without AMEX). 3 years warranty in Best Buy or Future Shop is up to 400+ dollars alone. I have a friend who has gone to Costco after his warranty has expired and they still gave him some money for another TV. You don't get that kind of quality ANYWHERE. Therefore whatever you buy make sure its at Costco (no I am not affiliated with Costco). Keep an eye out for their sales they always have them going on. Even when not on sale, they always compete with Future Shop and Best Buy.

As for deciding on what to get. Make a decision as to whether you want lcd, led or plasma. This should be dictated by where you will be keeping the tv. If it is in a low light level room, then go for plasma. If not then consider lcd or led. If you go with a plasma be very weiry of a reported "buzzing" sound. Some tv's have it and some don't. As for brands I would stick to Samsung or Sony. Hope this helps!

....HD IMHO is over blown.... :whistling:

You've go to be kidding me??? Going to HD was almost as big a change as going from B&W to Color. I cannot watch a hockey game on regular tv anymore. I love what Rogers launched lately the new Auto HD that automnatically changes a channel to HD if that programming is offered in HD. So if you put it on channel 9 which is usually regular programming and that program is available in HD it will automatically change it to HD format.

Same thing I heard. There is a good site that sells all kinds of cables and adapters.....dirt cheap: Cheap cables

We have hundreds of screens at work. Most are plasma. Most are LG. There are some that are 5 yrs old and have never been turned off and still work great. If you are a fan of CNN or any of the sports news shows, don't get plasma. The sets that have alot of static displays on them are completely toasted. Burned all to heck. My own TV is an LG LCD...I do not have any blurring at all even at 60 Hz.

99% of people could not tell the difference between similar quality plasmas and LCD. Since I am a CNN junkie, plasma will never be an option.

Oh..and as others have said..do NOT buy the stupid expensive cables. They do not do a damm thing. The markup for stores is all in the accesories, not in the sets themselves.

I went Plasma with a Samsung 8 series. Absolutely love it. It's in the dark basement (even with all the lights on - pots - there's no change to picture quality or any reflection issues) and is mostly used for gaming, sports, and movies. Colours are fantastic - deep and rich, and you can't beat the blacks/contrast on a plasma. It came down to the Samsung or Panasonic G or V series plasma. Burn in is not so much of a concern these days, though they call it Image Retention now - as long as you 'break it in' properly. To be extra cautious, I make sure that I set my sleep timer on the tv in case I fall asleep with a video game on. Six hours of static menus/graphics up on the screen is not good for any plasma.

And you're not doing your HD tv justice if you don't watch how amazing Blu Ray looks. Animated flicks on Blu Ray look so life-like it's unreal. Vids from my GoPro HD camera look amazing.

For basic tv-watching in HD, or DVDs, you'd hardly notice the difference between similar spec'd LCD vs LED vs Plasma in my opinion. Its the stuff that's made to take advantage of the full resolution (like HD video games and blu ray) that really allow the TV's features to shine.

Sony outsourced the manufacture of their tv's to Indonesia about 10 years agao. In doing so, they also outsource the manufacture of the components of their tvs... so who ever said earlier in the thread that the only thing left on a Sony TV that is Sony, is the name plate got it partially right... I'm sure they outsourced the making of the plastic plate as well.

All this stuff is very personal and the only way to determin what's right for you is to go out there and look at TVs... but that can be problematic as you have to ensure that the tvs are all set up the same way and that can also be a challenge.

I have a 46inch Panasonic Viera plasma and to my eye, plasma looks much more organic than LCD... very much like, to me anyway, the difference in sound between a very good vynal audio system and CD's.

To my ear, vynal sounds warm and real, CD (digital) sound s harsh and brittle.

BTW - my plasma sits right beside 8ft patio windows and we have NO problem with light... they fixed that stuff years ago!

HH

Save yourself the time I spent tons of time researching before I bought mine 2 years ago this the same response I got from salesmen,tech geeks,repair shop owners,store owners and internet forums:

plasma is the way to go if you can control the lighting. It has the best colours best picture. As for brands samsung is the best with panasonic second. Actually samsung makes almost all the lcd and plasma panels for everyone.

I have a 1080p samsung 50 inch plasma would not trade it for anything. I have 2 buddies who got rid of their lcds to buy plasmas after viewing sports on mine.

Edited by bowslayer

Plasma will burn images in. but they do play fast motion stuff better than with LCD's. I have both. but an even bigger difference is an HD reciever with either. HD on any Cheap TV will know the socks off ANY tv with just a digital picture.

Get the biggest TV you can afford in LED then LCD, Plasma is a big trade off, glare and burn in.

I have a "0" permenantly etched into the top right hand corner of my Plasma from watching too many Leafs shutouts.

Go for at least a 42" 45-50 is perfect. 50 or bigger only if you got a big room and deep pockets.

I woudl sooner go with a 40" LED 3D over a 45" LCD.

We have a 50" Dynex, Plasma, 42"Panasonic, Plasma, 42" Sharp Aquos LCD, and the Sharp is by far the best in terms of picture quality. If the 50" wasn't burned in we would watch all of our sports on it.

Edited by jedimaster