Felt bottom chest waders?

Hey all,

I read Canuck2Fan's thread on chest waders which was a huge help on my future purchase. I was planning to go with the felt bottom Bootfoot waders but I do alot of walking in between spots, and to and from the river from my place and I was wondering if the felt bottom's would ware out to fast? Would you suggest felt bottoms or just good ole rubber? I've always enjoyed my rubber bottom hip waders......

Thanks!

UF

I don't have any experience with them my self; however, I don't think that they are the best choice for southern Ontario. I understand that they are useless in mud, which is common in Ontario rivers. They do provide good traction on smooth rocks.

You may want to consider stocking foot waders; you then you could have have both rubber and felt soled boots and use which ever is most appropriate for the water you are fishing.

The best traction solution is some sort of aluminum studs. You can use a sandal like add on or directly install studs to the sole of your boot.

Felt works reasonably well on smooth algae covered rocks like the kind found in the Saugeen. There aren't many places in Ontario where this type of bottom is common. The wildest place I know of in this part of the world where algae and rocks combine to sink you would be the Salmon River in New York. People there use aluminum studded sandals over waders or studs right in the boot foot.

If cold water isn't an issue for you, stocking foot waders with different boots are an option. You could have rubber soled, studded sole and felt sole. The only downside is they are a bit less warm than boot foot and of course the cost of 3 pairs of boots.

Nothing works well in mud, that stuff is just a pain. Fortunately mud isn't common in most river situations.

Felt does seem to hold up for a fairly long time and can be added or replaced as needed, there are glue on kits.

guess it depends on where your fishing, if youre going gonna be fishing the eastern tribs the banks are mostly mud and felt can be a pain, but then again in the east most of the time you just hop across the creek, no real wading involved.

Since i assume youll be fishing the credit go for the felt, they provide great traction on the rocks in the credit, but rubber will do just fine as well, its really your call. You dont have to worry about the felt wearing away though as its alot more durable than you might imagine.