My last chance to drop a deer this year with my shotgun

NAW

So this is my first controlled shotgun hunt. I've been out three times this week, and have nothing to show for it.

I have a good boss, who has let me work messed up hours, so that I could go hunting. I went out Monday, Wed, and today. I didn't see anything all week except for today. The property that I hunt usually has a lot of deer, but this year, there are no good crops planted in the area, so the deer have moved a little. There's also a massive amount of coyotes.

Two interesting things happened to me today that I thought I would share with you.

The first thing caught me a little by surprise. I was walking along the edge of a creak in a swampy area, and came across two dead coyotes. Someone had blasted them, and left there there to rot. I though there was a bounty for coyotes in Inisfill?

p_00559.jpg

The second thing was a first for me.. I was doing a little run and gun, and came across a two does that where about 75 yards out, behind some scrub brush. So i sat down and was waiting to see if they where going to move into a position where I could get a shot. Then suddenly this massive doe come crashing though the bush from behind me, and runs by about 40 yards out. So I let out a loud grunt to try to get her to stop, or at least slow down. Then I here this yipping noise. Sure as asshat.gif there's two black dogs running shoulder to shoulder about 40 yards behind this doe. They spooked up the two does I was interested in. So there goes my only chance this season at getting a deer with the shotgun.. For the next hour I listened to these to damb dogs chasing the deer around the bush!!

Ah well. Still have another month with the bow..

It's been a frusterating season so far.

I'm hoping to check out a few new properties over the next few weeks. But you can't 100% avoid trespassers, and the odd farm dog. Not this far south anyways.

Edit: If I where you.. I'd have a some meat hangin in my garage :whistling:

Edited by NAW

Next time this happens, shoot the dogs!

Yep.. and Marty if that's my property you're referring to.. you know the OPP's number and if you find them we'll charge them with tresspassing. Nobody has permission to hunt lots 37 / 48 or 49 but you and Misfish. Two guys.. Steve L and his son have permission to follow through on a shot deer.. nothing else.

Yep.. and Marty if that's my property you're referring to.. you know the OPP's number and if you find them we'll charge them with tresspassing. Nobody has permission to hunt lots 37 / 48 or 49 but you and Misfish. Two guys.. Steve L and his son have permission to follow through on a shot deer.. nothing else.

I didn't realize this may your property Wayne. Answer is the same though, shoot the dogs!

Spiel.. Two different issues.. NAW and the dogs at his hunting spot.... and Marty and the trespassers at his.

As for shooting the dogs.. the CO will do it to anyone's dog chasing deer in the winter. I guess his badge makes the difference but if they are serious in enforcing the "chase" law then it shouldn't matter.

I did have my gun raised, with one of the dogs in my sights.

At first I thought hey where yotes cuz of the way there where yipping, so I had my gun up pointing in that direction. But when i saw they where to domestic dogs, I hesitated for a second, then they where gone.

Hey wayne, yes it was yours. I got there late, around 3:30 and went thru pines to opening and I noticed fresh tracks all over the place, they were following every deer track there, it was brutal, all over, going down to the swamp, out to tay pt road, back thru to the split to where s parks, tracks led right to where that vehicle was parked...oh well, only the real hunters are gonna be out now (bow) that is, lol

Hunting deer with dogs is allowed, unless specified otherwise.

I'm surprised all the hunters here didn't mention that.

I don't know what area that was being hunted, maybe dogs weren't allowed.

I just thought I'd put my 2¢ worth in the fray.

"Dogs

You must licence all dogs to be used to hunt deer, moose or

black bear. The licence holder or the person who has control

of the dogs must carry all dog licences and produce the

licences at the request of an officer. There is no limit on the

number of dogs that may be licensed and used. Dogs may not

run at large in an area inhabited by deer, moose, elk or black

bear during the closed season.

You must have an authorization or licence issued from the

local ministry office to conduct dog training and field trials on

game mammals and game birds during the closed season, or

an appropriate hunting licence during the open season.

NOTE: There is no authorization or licence that allows the

chasing of wolf or coyote in the townships around Algonquin

Park where there is a year-round closed season for those

species.

In order to hunt raccoon at night, you must be accompanied

by a dog licensed for raccoon hunting and you must have a

resident’s tag to hunt raccoon at night. Only one dog licence

is required while hunting raccoon at night regardless of the

number of dogs used.

For a dog coming into Canada from the United States, you

must have a certificate, signed by a veterinarian licensed in

Canada or in the United States, stating that the dog has been

vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 months.

The certificate must have a reasonably complete and legible

description of the dog and the date of the vaccination.

For more information, check with Canada Customs."

Hunting deer with dogs is allowed, unless specified otherwise.

I was going to mention it, but I didn't see transmitters on the dogs, so I assumed they weren't "hunting dogs".

If I did see transmitter/GPS collars, then I would have called the MNR. I believe running dogs is prohibited in my WMU during this season.

I don't hunt, but fall into the following category;

"You must have an authorization or licence issued from the local ministry office to conduct dog training and field trials on game mammals and game birds during the closed season, or

an appropriate hunting licence during the open season."

I don't hunt, but fall into the following category;

"You must have an authorization or licence issued from the local ministry office to conduct dog training and field trials on game mammals and game birds during the closed season, or

an appropriate hunting licence during the open season."

?

So you don't hunt, but you are training hunting dogs?

Hahaha....

Some people golf.....

I chose this as sort of a hobby, since I like the darned dogs.

Right on man. What bread? The two dogs that where chasing this doe where Jet black. They weren't black labs. Looked more like Shepards. Maybe in the 40 to 55lb range.

Right on man. What bread? The two dogs that where chasing this doe where Jet black. They weren't black labs. Looked more like Shepards. Maybe in the 40 to 55lb range.

It's a long story, but my beagle that was bought as a pet, had such a strong desire to hunt rabbits (and the ever present deer) that I thought I should let the dog do what it was bred to do and that led into joining a club and training.