Curing roe

Dutchy

OK, so I admit I haven't got a clue. I got roe on thursday from some fish and have no idea how to cure it or store it. Any help would be appreciated and if you have a secret recipe or something, shoot me a pm and I won't tell anyone. :thumbsup_anim:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Doug.

Doug what species is it skiened ( all on a membrane ) or loose roe

IMO and god I hope this doesnt start some debate but every fish's eggs have different qualities on how its going to milk in a river, if a reaction bite is what your after then single beads work just fine.

I ll give a little 411 if its any fish, out of the fish onto some paper towel no contact with water no water hardening nothing,with a brown the egg membrane is tough enough to survive multipe thaws and really requires no special treatment in fact any treatment on them in my opinion ruins its milking quality pat dry on paper towel and into the freexer they go

Rainbows have a thinner wall and if not used in the first 30 days, many will break leaving you a mess. ( unless you are prepared to vaccum store them, and thats another topic, how to store eggs)

Loose eggs again pat dry on paper towel just dry enough to remove the fluid, a small degree of salt ( and I mean less then a 1/4 tsp for 2 litres of eggs) Skein either your scraping it with the back of a spoon or cutting it into chunks , with skein I suggest you vaccum pack them as the air between eggs and the unavoidable liquid with cause lots of egg bursting as they expand in the freezer I siggest a paper towel dry once scraped to remove liquid again, careful as they get sticky really fast ( like 10 minutes )

Chinook again are right in the middle in terms of toughness of the egg wall, generally loose chinook eggs I ll treat like brown eggs, out of the fish into the freezer with again some drying.

No eggs should sit out for longer then 5 minutes on paper you really just want to remove the amniotic fluid

Artificial products work just as good and some days out produce natural eggs, the only time I really cure eggs are when I want to specifically use them on the niagara in the dead of winter with floaters in the sacs

JUST KIDDING (seriously, having some fun) but I couldnt resist:

Your avatar says "ALMOST GUIDE" and your asking about "how to cure roe" ... ???

Guess "almost" is the key word.

Just poking fun.

Never any harm in asking and learning.

Nice way to introduce yerself. :wallbash:

You have been given some good sound advise here. Myself as I has stateded many times,like the salt/brown sugar brine. I air dry my eggs.No need for vacume bags IMO.

Edited by BrianB

JUST KIDDING (seriously, having some fun) but I couldnt resist:

Your avatar says "ALMOST GUIDE" and your asking about "how to cure roe" ... ???

Maybe I don't usually fish for rainbows or salmon and so wouldn't know how to deal with roe. I could be a musky guide for all you know. :whistling: Anyhoo, welcome to the board :thumbsup_anim:

Brian B, yep, I went with the Docs suggestion, salt/brown sugar. We'll see how it works, only one way to find out :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: So far the look like I expected they would for what it is worth.

"Officially" you are suppossed to only keep roe if you keep the fish. (Fair enough, regs are there for conservation and all our best interests)

Incorrect.

In Ontario if you milk a fish for it's eggs then release the fish, those eggs count as one fish towards your daily possession limit.