Does anyone know someone who was nailed for NOT having their BOATERS CARD this year ?

darsky

Heard one the other day......two pontoon boat were tied together on the lake at night and a motor boat crashed into them, I think the story went that the guy driving the boat claimed they didn't have lights on but everyone else claimed different. The guys with the pontoon boats were charged for not having the card.

I like to believe that the reasoning behind this whole permit thing so to try and educate people and keep the asses off the water.But realistically i think its a money grab.

Its too easy for idiots to cheat, having the test online.It took me twice to pass it, but thays good because now i know what i didnt before.I have had people offer me money to do the test for them.I said no, but how many others said yes.So now the idiots have cards too.Does that make them boaters or certified idiotswallbash.gif

IMHO the boaters card and the exam are a joke, a couple of years ago I was approached by one of the cuties a Bass Pro she asked if I wanted to get my card I said no thanks, she then went on to say that there are people inside to help you write the test and everyone passes.

I think it`s a good idea for boaters to know what the heck they are doing on the water but the Boater Exam is a joke all it`s done is make the McNammee`s millionaires.

There is no mystery here.

Ten or twelve years ago there were a rash of accident involving Sea-Do's. The Province was under pressure to do something!

They didn't want to ban these toys because that would negatively effect business, and they couldn't set rules for any one specific part of the population...IE. children and teenagers.

So the "Card" was a measured response.

It showed the government was concerned, and was doing something about the problem...It started by excluding children as operators, then made young adults take a test and get a card, showing they knew the rules of the waterways.

To avoid charges that they were "targeting minor's" or "profiling young people" etc. the law provided that everyone operating a watercraft would need to acquire an operator's card over a period of about ten years.

Exceptions were made for tourists...after all we didn't want to negatively effect business...WINK-Wink.

Is it stupid? Sure it is! The proof is that in the 11th hour they were all but giving the cards away. In the Kawarthas, where I live, you could take the test at the grocery store! Coached tests in stores were rumored all over and there was only an Honour System if you took the test on-line.

Did it do any good? I don't know, but it didn't hurt.

Edited by garry2rs

I've been asked for my boating card twice so far this year. Once on Cameron, and once on a back lake. They never really gave us a problem, and were pretty nice when we saw them.

It seems weird that I never got checked on Rice or Scugog when I was out on the lake though. Scugog did see a huge amount of CO's checking for the shore fisherman though.

I never got checked. I had one funny one thouugh.

I was taking the boat out of the water at our town launch and the OPP pulled up with their boat on a trailer.

They wandered around and saw me and since I was along they kindly asked if I needed help. I do it all the time so I declined. I winched the boat on and then hooked up the safety chain. The cop says...ohhhhh, thats a good idea.

It was hard to not to mention that his buddies in Barrie could have used one this summer. :whistling:

Edited by Dara

IMHO the boaters card and the exam are a joke, a couple of years ago I was approached by one of the cuties a Bass Pro she asked if I wanted to get my card I said no thanks, she then went on to say that there are people inside to help you write the test and everyone passes.

I think it`s a good idea for boaters to know what the heck they are doing on the water but the Boater Exam is a joke all it`s done is make the McNammee`s millionaires.

I think she is the same hottie that helped me get mine up at the outdoor show in Walkerton B)

i got nabbed this year, i left my wallet in the truck wich had my card in it, ive had my card for a while and ive never been checked. i was fishing about 30 yards off shore in front of the boat launch and i explained to the officer i can go to shore right now and get it and that i just forgot it in the car. but it didnt matter to him he was giving me the ticket no matter what i was nice to him and everything but he was being a a real prick. and he gave me a $350 ticket, after he gave it to me he sayed to me "your going into shore now and not coming back" he said "your fishing trip is over", i said "well what if i go get my card i can come back out then", and he replied "if you come back out we will arrest you and we have you on radar so dont try any little detours". then he said to me "start your motor so that i know you will get back to shore" so i turn the key and motor fired right up then he says " you might want to take that in for a tuneup " and i replied "why is that" he replied "well it doesnt exactly purr like a kitten now does it"

so anyway we went in and took the boat out of the water and i got stuck with a $350 ticket in one hand and boaters card in the other, guess they have to pay for that 3/4 of a million dollar boat somehow

i got nabbed this year, i left my wallet in the truck wich had my card in it, ive had my card for a while and ive never been checked. i was fishing about 30 yards off shore in front of the boat launch and i explained to the officer i can go to shore right now and get it and that i just forgot it in the car. but it didnt matter to him he was giving me the ticket no matter what i was nice to him and everything but he was being a a real prick. and he gave me a $350 ticket, after he gave it to me he sayed to me "your going into shore now and not coming back" he said "your fishing trip is over", i said "well what if i go get my card i can come back out then", and he replied "if you come back out we will arrest you and we have you on radar so dont try any little detours". then he said to me "start your motor so that i know you will get back to shore" so i turn the key and motor fired right up then he says " you might want to take that in for a tuneup " and i replied "why is that" he replied "well it doesnt exactly purr like a kitten now does it"

so anyway we went in and took the boat out of the water and i got stuck with a $350 ticket in one hand and boaters card in the other, guess they have to pay for that 3/4 of a million dollar boat somehow

Just curious what in the world was he going to arrest you for if you came back out legal??Surely there is more to the story!

I have been stopped numerous times by the MNR and various regionals on the water and have never had a bad experience but my boat and papers are always in order.

Just curious what in the world was he going to arrest you for if you came back out legal??Surely there is more to the story!

I have been stopped numerous times by the MNR and various regionals on the water and have never had a bad experience but my boat and papers are always in order.

i did not have a re boarding device on the boat (ladder) he didnt fine me for it but i got home and read the book and it says if your boat sits 20 inches above the water line then you need a ladder but since im in a bassboat i sit about 15 inches above the water so i dont even need one