JEEBAS It's Freaking Cold.................

DRIFTER_016

So I got together with a buddy and hit a new to me lake today. good.gif

We hopped into the car with the outside temp hovering at -28 degrees. :woot:

We left the main road and traveled 5 KMs down a side road where we turned onto a 4X4 trail and drove for another 4.5 KMs through some pretty challenging obstacles before parking and heading down a quad/snowmachine trail on foot for the final kilometer of the journey. I wish I had photos of the one sketchy spot I had to negotiate. My buddy said I had about an inch of clearance between the front bumper and ground and my passenger back wheel was in the air while decending and I heard my trailer hitches draw bar hit the ground when I pulled up and out of the ravine. :D

PB200187.jpg

PB200188.jpg

This is what greeted us at the end of the trail.

PB200189.jpg

I think we landed about 10 or 12 decent lakers between 2 and 4 pounds or so (nothing big but we lost another 15 or more) and my buddy had one pike in the 10# plus range on for a second. Seems I took a lot more pictures of my buddy than I got of me. :unsure:

The hot lures were airplane jigs and white tube jigs tipped with shiner minnows.

PB200195.jpg

PB200193.jpg

PB200191.jpg

PB200197.jpg

PB200192.jpg

PB200198.jpg

We kept 3 for the table and put the rest back.

PB200199.jpg

PB200200.jpg

It was an excellent day and we were comfortable in my 2 man cube with my 14,000 btu sunflower style Mr. Heater cranking.

I don't think we would have lasted an hour without it. The wind started to blow about 20 kmh around 1:00 and the wind chill would have been in the -40 range. We got back to the truck after the sun had set and air temp was -29C. We were fishing in 18 to 20 feet and had 4-5 inches of ice under us.

As I'm sitting here in my living room watching the Leafs game on the big screen I'm still not thawed out and I'v been home for an hour and a half!!!! freezing.gif

I can't wait until next weeks adventure!!! wink2.gif

Thanks for the report. Now I want to go icefishing. Can't wait. I never caught a laker so shallow trough the ice. Do you usually fish in those depths up north or is it a good early ice pattern only? Anyways, thanks for the detailed report. Keep it up and stay warm.

Thanks for the report. Now I want to go icefishing. Can't wait. I never caught a laker so shallow trough the ice. Do you usually fish in those depths up north or is it a good early ice pattern only? Anyways, thanks for the detailed report. Keep it up and stay warm.

Usually I like 30 to 40 feet but this spot is part way down a steep drop. It is only a few yards from 50 FOW.