Addicted to Simcoe Smallies

zdan

Hello to all the members of the board. I am crazy for smallmouth bass. I have fished alot of places for the bronze from Erie to La Reserve Beauchene, but fall on Simcoe is by far the best for me. I've had the pleasure to go twice a week to hunt for the one, a supportive wife and a flexible schedule allows me to attempt to satisfy my addiction. I have managed to catch fish on every trip, but theses are three of the better ones.

On this Friday after a week of crazy winds, the weather finally permits for some fishing. The weather forecast is for cold but dry day, alright I can handle that. The weather person got that wrong, just outside Barrie the skys open and it starts raining cats and dogs. Damn, I contemplate turning around, but don't, that was a great call. I get out on the water @ 7:30 and get two fish real quick on the drop shot.PA280270-1.jpgPA280274-1.jpg The next 15 mins nothing, then a real good 50 min stretch. I manage to boat 8 fish within that time frame.PA280278_edited-1.jpgPA280277.jpgPA280280.jpgPA290282.jpgPA290284.jpgIt was crazy, there was some snow and rain to go with the good, and I was the only boat out there all day, like being in heaven. I continue to fish and manage to catch another three fish before the trolling motor battery is completely dead. Damn, I could of caught a few more. That won't happen again as a managed to find a spot for another battery.I apologize for posting some pictures twice, I didn't realize that the preview doesn't show the images. The best five for that trip went, 5-11, 5-8, 5-5, 4-15, 4-12. I weighed each fish but didn't record what weight went with which photo. The action was to fast for that, I get home and show the wife the pics, she says you had a good day, so when are you going again. As I put my big head on the pillow and dream of another day on Simcoe, I think to myself how can I top that. The next day I update my fishing bud about the trip he missed and we schedule another go for the following Tues.

This time the weather man was right and it was a nice cold clear day We again get on the water real early, I can't believe the how good that morning bite is. We head out to a sweet little spot I found on the last trip. I'm all pre-rigged and ready to go, so I jump on the trolling motor and start our pass even before my bud is ready. Not five minutes later, I'm informing him FISH ON, get the net ready. As with any fish caught at this time of year you truly don't know what you have until you get it to the boat,(size). As I get the fish close to the boat and see its size, I make sure the net man is really ready as this thing is big, real big. After getting it in the boat, I'm freaking out b/c this beauty is huge. I put it on the scale and my jaw dropped 7 lbs 10 oz.PB010286.jpg

I caught this fish in 32 fow on a drop shot, using a Berkley bait that wasn't been made for at least ten years. I bought every package that Bass Pro Shops had the last year they were available and use them sparingly. The rest of the day was really good, my partner caught 5 nice bass and I managed another 7.PB010291.jpgPB010289.jpg

Ninety percent of the fish caught on all three trips were taken on Strikezone slammers or swimbaits. Mark Kulik is a great guy and he helped point me in the right direction last season. I little knowlege goes a long way. Thanks Mark! Keep up the production I'm gonna need alot more of your stuff. You make a top quality product!

Two other factors have made me so much more successful, a Lowrance HDS fishfinder and a MinnKota Terrova trolling motor with autopilot. The first unit is so much superior than any other fishfinder I've ever used, I've got a Hummingbird 798CI side imaging unit at the helm and it is like night and day when your hunting fish that are tight to bottom. Those that fall fish know that more than half the battle is finding them. The HDS is ridiculously good, when you pass over a certain fish arch pattern if you can present your bait to those fish its a guaranteed hook up. Its almost like video game fishing. The trolling motor allows me to fully concentrate on the presentation and precisely control speed, it make a world of difference.

So again I get home and show my wife the pics, she's freak'n out over the beast. Everytime I look @ this fish, all I can think is that this girl has the frame to carry alot more weight. I wished that I had measured her, she just has plain big. Maybe just maybe with some luck and the right circumstances I WR bronzeback might come from Simcoe. I start thinking about the next trip what will Simcoe have for me. Maybe I can catch 5 nickels in one day, I've never had more than three in one day before.

The next Saturday, off to Simcoe I go again, with the goal of five nickels. This time I'm fishing alone and the day starts off strong. Less than 15 mins and the first nickel is mine.PB050295-1-1.jpgThis one is 5-13. The day is cold but start but gets really nice by mid-day. The next fish comes to the boatPB050299_edited-1.jpgThis one is 5-7, not a bad start to the day. A short time later the next fish is landedPB050298_edited-1-1.jpgThis one is 5-3, maybe I might be able to get five of them, its still early in the day. Oh well that never happened, managed another four fish, all high fours. It was another great day on the water.

There will be a few more trips before the season is over. Good fishing to all those still pounding the water.

Let all the big ones go, you never know what they will grow up to be.

Edited by zdan

Welcome to OFC. One heck of an entrance is right wow! Those are tanks. That 7.10 is a fish of a lifetime, congrats! I can feel the true excitement in your post, just awesome :thumbsup_anim:

The overall size is bigger than Erie fish these days it seems. I live pretty much in between Erie and Simcoe, and I keep saying I'll try Simcoe in the fall for smallies (about 10 years now :sleeping_02: ) but never do. One of these days I'll make it to Simcoe :lol: It's so easy to pound water you know, but I will log some hours on Simcoe soon to learn new smallie waters, especially with mediocre fish on Erie these days.

Great report, and congrats on those beasts!

BTW totally agree about the HDS unit for fish on the bottom, those units are unreal.

Hey zdan

I have seen you out there a couple times. You hae a smaller white and red sunbird boat I believe.

I will give you a wave next time I see you.

So much for whiting out the back ground.WTG Cudz. :sarcasm:

Some real nice fish there zdan. Great report.

TFS

Edited by BrianB