Knipex Bolt Cutters as a stock item

farsider

For those who are still looking for a pair of Knipex Bolt Cutters to have as part of their essential release tools...

I have seen them in stock at two separate Lowes stores in the GTA (Major Mack and Bathurst, Caledonia and Castlefield) along with more Knipex items.

They are found alongside the other electrical tools in the electrical aisle.

$47.99

Cheers,

Mark

Put a tether strap on those babies as you dont want to watch 40.00 plus HST go over board, and hook a muskie after the fact with the cutters on the lake bottom, I have 2 pairs one on each side of the boat, and a monserous pair of bolt cutters with dull blades to cut the walnuts out of the person who tries to steal them

It's not obvious to me what these are specifically required for, although I seem to remember a post about someone getting a triple hook stuck in their hand, and not having the right tool...

Noob questions: why do I need these?

Is there a specific model number?

Thanks.

It's not obvious to me what these are specifically required for, although I seem to remember a post about someone getting a triple hook stuck in their hand, and not having the right tool...

Thanks.

I just cut the hooks on the Muskie I caught Tuesday, she had the lure sideways in her mouth, a couple points up and down, mouth essentially locked tight. Add to this 2-3 foot chop and It would have been real tough to remove the hooks...I was able to cut them in about 1o seconds and the fish was back in the net underwater...Put new hooks on the Grandma(lure) and was trolling it again in minutes!

Thanks.

Sometimes you deep hook a muskie, rather than hurting it by keeping it out of the water and screwing about in its mouth, you just cut the hook to keep your lure and release the fish quicker!

Knipex are a must, if you don't have them=don't even try fishing for musky.

My friend and I have had 2 muskies this past weekend that had 3 points of the treble in their mouth. Just like Pigeontroller has mentioned, their mouths were completely shut. Using Knipex we had to cut everything off, split ring and all points of the treble. Knipex saved those fishes lives, and they were back in the water under 30 Seconds :)

also, get a nice big net, not those small, tail splitting nets.

These Knipex that Lowes have are the ones you need, nothing else even comes close to Knipex :)

Tight Lines :)

Here is a nice video showing how fast muskies get stressed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrKGuUdR-7k&feature=player_embedded

Edited by spoon

Thanks.

Yeah, I was the one who helped out the guy who had two trebles in his hand. You need these because they can cut a 4/0 hook like nothing. It's a safety thing, safe for the fish and safe for you if you need to cut hooks in a hurry and if you spend any time at all musky fishing, you will need to cut hooks at some point. Regular fishing pliers or needlenose are not up to the task.

Guest Johnny Bass

I got those pliers at Lebarons.Bass pro shops were selling these monster spreaders(with the T at the bottom), but they were out last time I checked.

Edited by Johnny Bass

it was Lew and he said the following...

Knipex cutters are expensive and you don't want to drop them in the drink when your cutting hooks in the net, and a good trick I learned from a friend was to attach them to a boat cleat with an extendable telephone cord. The one I use can reach anywhere in the boat and if I drop them over the side it's not a problem.

Just picked up mine at our local Lowes store for $39.97. First I had to convince the employee that they carried Knipex brand. They weren't in the boltcutter section, but we found them in the electic department. I got the last one and it was half hidden. The guy mentioned that another shopper had been looking for the same thing, for the same use. He didn't get it and I did.

Previously I've carried a cheaper boltcutter from Tractor Supply. It did the job, but rusted badly. My pliers, boltcutter and jaw spreader stay beside me on the boat seat for the whole trip, whether 1 week, 2 weeks or 3 weeks. Lots of chance to rust.