waders

thatleetboy

I've asked Google the question, read around a little bit, thought I would ask the OFC sages if they had any advice to offer, it doesn't seem like anyone has asked this in a couple of years. Maybe there's some new advice, or even a sale I should head towards...

My BiL says we should hit Bronte Creek, or head up to Nine Mile Creek, whatever, I need waders.

What is the advice to a new angler? Stocking Feet or Boot? Neoprene or Breathable? What say y'all?

I take it used waders would probably not be a good idea?

Many thanks.

P.S. And, as an aside, if I see something on the BPS website, like this for $99, how can I tell what the Canadian retail in Vaughan will be?

I am actually looking to get a new pair myself. I have been scouring the internet trying to decide what to do and keeping a price point in mind. I think alot of it is personal preference and fishing situation. If you can only buy one pair do you go neoprene or something breathable. Well that will depend on whether you spend more time in cold water and conditions vs not.

I like stocking feet vs boot. In my experience they leak less and are more comfortable. But others may tell you differently. Again it likely comes down to preference.

I just picked up a pair of streamside breathables from angling outfitters they are $240+taxes and have a 2 year over the counter warranty after 5-6 trips fishing for 6-7 hours a trip I'm happy with them and they look and feel comparable to the brands that were $1-200 more they are worth checking out .

torco... That's exactly my dilemna! I'm thinking neoprene would keep me warmer, that breathables might be better suited to a warmer climate, but what the hell do I know... :dunno:

Are you saying the ones with the boot may develop a leak on the seam?

When I was in BC last month I borrowed a pair of Hodgeman neoprene stocking foot waders, nice and warm, plus I really liked the ankle support... I felt safe and secure in the fast current and loose stones. Does one tend to slide around a lot in a pair of boot foot waders?

SRT8 > Angling Outfitters... do they have a website? Or do you have to drive to Woodstock?

Cheers

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

do you plan on steelheading in winter?

i fish into december in northern ontario wearing breathables.

proper layering will keep you warm. i'd only wear neos in winter fishing so unless you plan on only fishing in winter, i'd get stockingfoot breathables.

personally and professionally i've worn plenty of cabelas waders. i've bush bashed through every alder and thorn lined stream on the canadian side of the great lakes and these waders help up well. sure i sprung some holes, but that's going to happen to 600 dollar simms as well. a tube of aquaseal will fix those no prob.

LITTLE MORE BUT PAY THE EXTRA AND GET BREATHABLES. COMFORT WISE THEY CANT BE BEAT.MOVMENT NOT RESTRICTED AT ALL.

AND EVERYONE IS BUILT DIFF AND I GOT A PAIR MYSELF OF BREATHABLE BARE WADERS AND THEY WERE CUSTOM FITTED. NOT SURE IF ALL SHOPS DO IT BUT TIGHTLINES IN PICKERING DOES. TAKES ALL YOUR MEASUREMENTS . I PREFER THE STOCKIN FOOT AND IF U DO GO THAT PATH WEAR A PAIR OF SOCKS ONTOP OF THEM. IT SAVES THE WEAR AND TEAR FROM THE BOOT RUBBING FROM WALKING

So it sounds like I should focus on looking at breathables, I knew I could count on you guys for good advice.

Do you have to get them loose enough to layer, or do they sort of come that way anyhow?

Cheers

P.S. the socks over the stocking foot is a GREAT tip, thanks!!:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

My choice would be a pair of breathable stocking foot waders, buy them one size bigger so you can layer them in cold weather. I have CADDIS brand, pretty good quality, comfortable and you don't have to break the bank for them ($149 @ LeBarons), CADDIS have awesome customer service!!

I started with a cheap pair of nylon boot foot hip waders, they are OK for warm climate but you're very limited to how deep you can wade, the boot part is very uncomfortable. I will never buy another pair of boot foot waders.

I also have a pair of 4mm neoprene stocking foot, but I have not used them since I bought the breathables.

torco... That's exactly my dilemna! I'm thinking neoprene would keep me warmer, that breathables might be better suited to a warmer climate, but what the hell do I know... :dunno:

When I was in BC last month I borrowed a pair of Hodgeman neoprene stocking foot waders, nice and warm, plus I really liked the ankle support... I felt safe and secure in the fast current and loose stones. Does one tend to slide around a lot in a pair of boot foot waders?

SRT8 > Angling Outfitters... do they have a website? Or do you have to drive to Woodstock?

Cheers

No they don't currently have a website (I think they are working on that) so you would have to drive down you will love the shop and Joslyn will talk your ear off prolly give ya a few new spots to try if ya ask .

I use my waders mostly for duck hunting in the Alabama Swamps here in WNY and there is no tougher terrain then walking in the crap even when it's pitch dark out trying to get to a blind you have never been before. We track through MUCK, briar's, LOGS, you name it and these waders have never let us down and we all have them.

The one other thing of getting the boots over the stocking waders is some day you will have to retire them and you can cut the boot part off the waders and they make a GREAT boot for walking thru mud, etc...

But anyways here's the kind all of us waterfowlers use...there are built tougher and warmer then waders for fishing.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Hunting-Waders%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103895280/Cabelas-Ultimate-Hunting-Chest-Waders-150-Regular/749353.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/footwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-hunting-waders/_/N-1101198/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103895280%3FWT.mc_id%3D58000000001386618%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D111331616%26rid%3D20

If you go to Cabela's site there are MANY MANY different ones to choose from......also the one that the OP listed look fine too. It all depends on how much you want to spend on them. Keeping warm and dry is important to me...when spending a lot of time in the outdoors your clothing is the most important thing IMHO.

I would recommend a stocking foot breathable wader with a good pair of rubber soled studded boots. I wear this all year long, even in the winter. As mentioned, you will stay warm layering with fleece undies etc in the winter.

The rubber sole boots with studs are great as well all year long. The felt soles will freeze in the winter, even with studs they can be slippery. Also (don't know how true it is, just rumour so far), I heard felt sole boots may be banned in the future due to micro-organisms being transferred between rivers.

I've beeen very happy with the Cabelas brand. The boots are roomy and my feet don't get as cold in winter, even with a heavier pair of socks. Your feet will get cold in tight fitting boots in the winter.

I wouldn't buy used waders. I would buy new breathables that fit your budget.

I would recommend a stocking foot breathable wader with a good pair of rubber soled studded boots. I wear this all year long, even in the winter. As mentioned, you will stay warm layering with fleece undies etc in the winter.

The rubber sole boots with studs are great as well all year long. The felt soles will freeze in the winter, even with studs they can be slippery. Also (don't know how true it is, just rumour so far), I heard felt sole boots may be banned in the future due to micro-organisms being transferred between rivers.

+1

Sound advice. I'd also recommend that you look into getting a wading belt as well at the very least. Should you ever take a spill, the belt will help prevent that icy water from getting in, which is uncomfortable at best -- but also a potential safety hazard.

Cheers

Yeah my current ones are neoprene and they have held up well but my god do i sweat when its even remotely warmer than 10 degrees outside. I was thinking of getting a breathable pair. I was thinking layering would take care of the warmth needed for everything but the cold winter days.

Yes I have found in my experience that the attached boot leak more frequently along the seam plus you are stuck with the factory boot which means you potentially sacrifice comfort.

Copper - great tip on putting socks over the stocking feet to help with wear...never thought of that.