Dog advise

motion

save yourself the headache and get a cat, and before people knock me , I currently own a dog and always have, grew up at the dog show circuit, dog breeding , obedience training etc...Last dog i will ever get, no more for me..

And if your really thinking lab ,think 8-10 yrs from now how YOUR going to like the barking cause you went for a nap without him, the garbage he'll get into, hell I thought Id be nice take the dog for a car ride to my friends , had to run over there, got back into the car barffed all over,, now i have to shampoo the car too, dont forget the Bull awhile at the cottage , always yelling for the dog, were is the dog, anyone seen the dog, wet dog, stinky dog,barking dog, food stealing dog, he'll also need to sleep somewhere away from the bugs at night too all stinky from the swamp!. never leaves the water everytime I turn around he's back into the lake,tie him up he'll bark, leave him alone at home he'll pee on the kids bed,the corner of the fridge,always tips the garbage over and get into what ever he can, because you didnt bring big baby with you....mine started to pee in the garage if I left him at home alone, bring him out for a walk does pee 1000x goes for a number 2 put him in the garage and go out for dinner with wife come home to garage floor covered in pee, try the crate barks entire time we're gone, next door told me so. just so your aware it's not the big bundle of joy your thinking.

Oh and mine is going to me 10 yrs old now,, 10 fricken years of this crap. If your house work is always done you have no chores and your retired, nothing else to do for the next 12 yrs but work for the dog then giver hell, other wise get a cat.

save yourself the headache and get a cat, and before people knock me , I currently own a dog and always have, grew up at the dog show circuit, dog breeding , obedience training etc...Last dog i will ever get, no more for me..

And if your really thinking lab ,think 8-10 yrs from now how YOUR going to like the barking cause you went for a nap without him, the garbage he'll get into, hell I thought Id be nice take the dog for a car ride to my friends , had to run over there, got back into the car barffed all over,, now i have to shampoo the car too, dont forget the Bull awhile at the cottage , always yelling for the dog, were is the dog, anyone seen the dog, wet dog, stinky dog,barking dog, food stealing dog, he'll also need to sleep somewhere away from the bugs at night too all stinky from the swamp!. never leaves the water everytime I turn around he's back into the lake,tie him up he'll bark, leave him alone at home he'll pee on the kids bed,the corner of the fridge,always tips the garbage over and get into what ever he can, because you didnt bring big baby with you....mine started to pee in the garage if I left him at home alone, bring him out for a walk does pee 1000x goes for a number 2 put him in the garage and go out for dinner with wife come home to garage floor covered in pee, try the crate barks entire time we're gone, next door told me so. just so your aware it's not the big bundle of joy your thinking.

Oh and mine is going to me 10 yrs old now,, 10 fricken years of this crap. If your house work is always done you have no chores and your retired, nothing else to do for the next 12 yrs but work for the dog then giver hell, other wise get a cat.

wow thats some serious dog hate you got going on there...whistling.gif

wow thats some serious dog hate you got going on there...whistling.gif

no hate guy , just no butter on top, nothing but the truth. dogs are a lot a lot a lot a lot of work and expect to be doing lots of work after your regular days work for your dog.

I can sit here and tell you all the wonderful times I've had, but that's what everyone does and is misleading to potential owners, how about i tell you the truth. dogs area a lot of work Oh and since nobody has said it yet a crap load of money.

Ever heard of training your dog Buster? If you left me in your garage I would pee in there too! Dogs in general are not loners and need to be with others, either dogs or humans or both...............dang, I give up.........

I guess you ask ten people, you'll get ten different answers on this subject. Buster sounds a lot like my wife and his dog sounds a lot like my little guy, peeing and crapping around the house because he is upset we left him at home :blahblah1:

Afetr all that, I still love him (and my wife). I am looking to semi-retire in the next 5-10 years so I may have the time to clean up after him :D

Ever heard of training your dog Buster? If you left me in your garage I would pee in there too! Dogs in general are not loners and need to be with others, either dogs or humans or both...............dang, I give up.........

ok

so here we go..

MY dog is trained. where do you leave you dog JOHN , OH thats right you take him everywhere with you , you NEVER have to leave your dog alone right....

Let me guess, your so stupid you think that if i leave my dog alone in the garage while i go for dinner with my wife or to work is cruel act right?>

maybe I should shove him in a crate all day instead?

humnane society says that its ok to crate them?

you tell me know it all.

Edited by BUSTER

Breed does say a bit about the dog... but at the end of the day the dog acts how the owner trains it.

So if its a shelter dog or a purebred, it doesn't matter... do what feels right, and make sure you have enough time for another dog!

Had a husky and she was great, a rescue dog, that had a lot of issues but eventually became semi trained, as Drifter put it.

Letting her off leash was always an issue as she wanted to run (forever) and wasn't the best at coming back. Definite strong personality, very independent. I think I only ran her to the point she was tired a handful of times, so very high exercise requirments.

Got a chocolate lab pup in May and, he's pretty much the best dog ever, still very high energy and needs to go to the park most days, even though he gets walked for around 5km each day. Runs at the park retreiving and hunting songbirds and ducks for an hour then crashes. I've found he's very smart, easy to train but want to test who's boss all the time.

On a side note, we had an awesome weekend grouse hunting, it was his 3 and 4th days hunting and he did great. Found birds flushed birds and retreived them. He gets so upset when I miss, sits and pouts! Further, to this I rediscovered my 28ga. great little single for beating bush for grouse. Hunting with dogs is a blast.

BUSTER......ya have to train them man !!!!!!! If not, stop making the poor things so miserable, and find a home for it

My 8 yr old female lab, is trained to pee in an enclosure out side and no where else. not on the grass or my deck.She will fetch her toys by color.if i want the red one, i ask for it, yellow, blue, green.I say suirrel, and she is at the telephone pole(thats my fault.....The dog in the movie 'UP' reminds me of my Trinity)rofl2.gif

You cant leave a dog in the garage and expect it to be happy.Treat your animals as members of the familly pack and it will love you for ever.He pees in the garage because he associates that as punishment and pees in submission. I cant believe you have had dogs all your life after reading that post.Once a dog lover alwasy a dog lover, and thats a fact. The dog probably senses your negative energy and has lost all of respect for you.THEY KNOW....dont kid yourself.

and before you piss on this, a well trained dog can be left out in the house without worry.I suspect seperation anxiety.It knows how you feel about him or her.Change your attitude, and you will see a differnce.

Edited by mercman

my dad had a pure breed husky when he was in his later thirties and he absolutly loved her...he got her when she was a pup and was able to train her amazing. Loyal, loved fishing and hunting, and was fantastic with kids. when i was 9 or so we got another pure breed siberian, however, she was a race dog and always wanted to run, we got her at around 9 months which made it difficult to train, but like others have said, this one was born to run, and needed to run everyday, but she was absolulty enjoyable. we never took her hunting but fishing, she loved! those dogs have made me loyal to that breed...with a little patients those are IMO the best dogs ever, which made me go to their bigger cousin the malamute 2 years ago. We got Gus when he was a 8 wks old and have trained him well...like huskies and malamutes they can be stubborn but they are extremely smart. Patience with any breed and you will have a fantastic friend!

Had a husky and she was great, a rescue dog, that had a lot of issues but eventually became semi trained, as Drifter put it.

Letting her off leash was always an issue as she wanted to run (forever) and wasn't the best at coming back. Definite strong personality, very independent. I think I only ran her to the point she was tired a handful of times, so very high exercise requirments.

Got a chocolate lab pup in May and, he's pretty much the best dog ever, still very high energy and needs to go to the park most days, even though he gets walked for around 5km each day. Runs at the park retreiving and hunting songbirds and ducks for an hour then crashes. I've found he's very smart, easy to train but want to test who's boss all the time.

On a side note, we had an awesome weekend grouse hunting, it was his 3 and 4th days hunting and he did great. Found birds flushed birds and retreived them. He gets so upset when I miss, sits and pouts! Further, to this I rediscovered my 28ga. great little single for beating bush for grouse. Hunting with dogs is a blast.

My pup is a pound puppy too. :good::good:

He's 2 1/2 now and is starting to settle down (at least compared to last year). :lol: I can let him off leash and they do like to roam but he will come when called which is a plus. Lots of huskies won't and you have to chase them down for hours. :rofl2::rofl2:

Depending on the weather he will stay outside when I'm at work. He's starting to understand that being curled up on a nice warm doggie bed is much nicer than sitting in the rain or snow. Last year he wanted to stay outside no matter what, unless I was home.

And yes you need to remember that they do go from this:

PB290103.jpg

PB260101.jpg

To this:

P1200009.jpg

And you could expect this a time or two when he's in the puppy stage. :w00t:

P4090001.jpg

ok

so here we go..

MY dog is trained. where do you leave you dog JOHN , OH thats right you take him everywhere with you , you NEVER have to leave your dog alone right....

Let me guess, your so stupid you think that if i leave my dog alone in the garage while i go for dinner with my wife or to work is cruel act right?>

maybe I should shove him in a crate all day instead?

humnane society says that its ok to crate them?

you tell me know it all.

My dog stays in the house when left alone. As you should be able to do.

Yup your dog sees being put in the garage as punishment and is reacting to it.

Crates are a great way of training a pup, however YOU have failed if you need to crate him (with the crate locked) much past 7 or 8 months.

By the way, choose your words a little more carefully.......I suggest looking in the mirror before calling me stupid!

BUSTER......ya have to train them man !!!!!!! If not, stop making the poor things so miserable, and find a home for it

My 8 yr old female lab, is trained to pee in an enclosure out side and no where else. not on the grass or my deck.She will fetch her toys by color.if i want the red one, i ask for it, yellow, blue, green.I say suirrel, and she is at the telephone pole(thats my fault.....The dog in the movie 'UP' reminds me of my Trinity)rofl2.gif

You cant leave a dog in the garage and expect it to be happy.Treat your animals as members of the familly pack and it will love you for ever.He pees in the garage because he associates that as punishment and pees in submission. I cant believe you have had dogs all your life after reading that post.Once a dog lover alwasy a dog lover, and thats a fact. The dog probably senses your negative energy and has lost all of respect for you.THEY KNOW....dont kid yourself.

and before you piss on this, a well trained dog can be left out in the house without worry.I suspect seperation anxiety.It knows how you feel about him or her.Change your attitude, and you will see a differnce.

dog is trained.. right down to hand signals...

you cant leave the dog in the garage and expect it to be happy??? ok then what should i do when the kids go to school the wife and i are at work? I know why the dog pee;'s in the garage he's mad we left him alone,dont kid yourself i wam a dog lover just was summin up to the potential owner that its not always a cup of tea...crap its not like this all just happen'd today...seperation anxiety is right, again I was just letting this potental owner hear of REAL LIFE problems with a dog..

oh my dog sleeps on the furnature, gets plenty of love,eats table scraps, and regular visits to the vet..

you guys sound like putting the dog in the garage is a bad thing? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE PUT DOGS IN CRATES AND GO TO WORK ALL DAY???

Again your wrong about a good trained dog can be left in the house alone, heres a story for you

1985 or so my father and me do an experimnet with the dogs ( three championship show dogs german shepards) all living in the house with us, my mom's my dad's and my dog

everytime we'd leave the dogs would get into the garbage

we watched one time as my dads dog would flip the can and walk away, the other 2 dogs would scatter garbage all over the house... so is it true about the well trained dog can be left alone, and its the owner's fault???

Iam not making it miserable , just tell the guy thats it not all that fun SOMETIMEs

My dog stays in the house when left alone. As you should be able to do.

Yup your dog sees being put in the garage as punishment and is reacting to it.

Crates are a great way of training a pup, however YOU have failed if you need to crate him (with the crate locked) much past 7 or 8 months.

By the way, choose your words a little more carefully.......I suggest looking in the mirror before calling me stupid!

oh soo when you leave and your dog pee's on the fridge and the kids bed you put him in the crate unlocked..... oh ok thanks for the advise ill try that....

if the dog see being left alone in the house as punishment iam sure he's feel the same about the garage ,,Einstein

oh soo when you leave and your dog pee's on the fridge and the kids bed you put him in the crate unlocked..... oh ok thanks for the advise ill try that....

if the dog see being left alone in the house as punishment iam sure he's feel the same about the garage ,,Einstein

It's pretty obvious that I'm wasting my time Buster. You fit your handle well. My dog doesn't pee in the house, fridge, bed, anywhere for that matter. As I said train your dog correctly, discipline him correctly (that isn't with a big stick by the way), treat him as a member of the family and he will respect you and your belongings...Try locking your kids in the garage when you go out and see whether they are happy to see you when you return..........

By the way you might want to read about Einstein, you may learn a little..... :whistling:

Crates are not bad things.I have a Lab and a Pomeranian(who thinks shes a lab)Trick is to get the right size cage for the dog.Both of mine have thier own cage.When i first got them, i kept them in, with a blanket and some treats.made it a posiyive experience.

When we were at home we left the door open and they would sleep in them.To them it was a secure little place to sleep.Now we leave them without locking the doors and they are happy as heck.The lab actually will pull the door shut behind her.

The OP has a dog,and wants to add to his pack and only wanted our opinions on breed.So he knows all about what dogs are capable of doing.There is no bad behavior that cannot be changed in a dog.None at all.

What do YOU do john? when your well trained dog STARTS to pee in the house after 10 yrs OF NEVER DOING THAT??........blame yourself? :wallbash:

I'd be blaming mother nature personally. Not there yet, but when I am 70 I bet my bladder isn't as good as it is now.

What do YOU do john? when your well trained dog STARTS to pee in the house after 10 yrs OF NEVER DOING THAT??........blame yourself? :wallbash:

I would take him to the vet. My last dog started doing just that, at about 12 years. Ended up he had adrenal gland problems which eventually led to his downfall, but there could be many causes which are very treatable.

A well trained dog (heck, pretty much every dog) never wants to pee where he or his pack lives if he can at all help it.