Karma... it is a three way street correct?

irishfield

Oh my Gosh! I've just read through this thread for the first time!

What an absolutely stunning daughter you have Wayne! In all aspects! I like to believe there is a reason good people are dealt difficult cards when others more deserving never turn one up! One day, it will all make sense! Karma, as you say. In the meantime, Jen is clearly going to win her battles and live a normal, fulfilling life...because she has fought so hard for what others take for granted!

And one day there will finally be the moment...the moment when it makes sense why she had to suffer through all this. And hopefully it will be a GOOD moment so it can mean enough to erase the pain and replace it with accomplishment.

But regardless of all that, she is beautiful...a fighter...and destined to outlive everyone else!

Thank you for taking the close friends you know well here, and the complete strangers like myself on this incredible journey of hope! I wish Jen and your family all the very best in the days to come! :)

Thanks Mircacon.. some wonderful words there.

We actually lucked out and produced two that the boys are kept well aware that I have guns ! :D

Typical Dad...Stay away from my daughters, or else...:stretcher:!!! Congrats on BOTH your beautiful girls! :D

Edited by Miracon

Jen had 3 CT's yesterday at 8am.. chest, intestinal and pelvic. Saw both her surgeon and oncologist in the afternoon and her CT's are absolutely clean... as are her blood tests. She showed both (actually 5) Doctors that she can put her full weight on the unattached leg, at only 3 months out, so they're already talking about her shoe lift fitting for the "miracle child". WHEN she walks... I think she'll be on the talk show circuit with her surgeon ! :D Her Oncologist still doesn't even begin to understand how the whole thing is possible, but he has seen her progress with his own two eyes and he's as amazed as anyone else. :o

I did some retrofitting to her apartment, removed some automatic door closers from her front storm door so she can get her main door unlocked without fighting the storm door. Installed some hooks for things and a flip down door stop on her laundry room door that has an autocloser. This way she can use her walker going thru, carrying her clothes on the walker seat. Drilled a hole in the stop and attached a cord up to the door knob so she can retract the door stop when done.

Her cupboards and fridge are full of groceries and she's on her own ! Scary at this end, and probably at hers as well... but a stage that has to be tested and conquered by all of us.

Here she is a couple days before going home, riding the ballbike that we'd bought hoping the ball would be more comfortable for her to sit on and get exercise/leg strengthening. Left leg is doing the turning and the right is along for the ride about 80% right now, but she's getting better and the leg is getting stronger. She can drive Leah's truck now... ALL with her right leg/foot. And with Leah's truck you have to lift your leg over to the brake pedal...simple heel pivot doesn't work.

jenballbike.jpg

Thanks everyone... nothing's holding her back that's for sure. She's had her ups and downs but mainly Jennifer is pressing forward. Hoping now that she's back in the city and close to her good friends that it will be even more reason for her to spark a flame at working to get closer to walking again.

So yesterday was a day of wondering what to do for Leah and I, with Jennifer off our couch and back in the city. Then this morning we got slapped back to reality of how quick things can change. I'd mentioned a couple posts ago about Jen's 4 hours wait to see the Dr's back on Sept 6th as they were giving other families bad news. One of them was Kayla and she passed away 3 days later. :wallbash:

http://ontario.announcements.ca.msn.com/guelphmercury/profile/219638--mccormick-kayla-marie-chartier

Edited by irishfield

Wayne - that's great news about Jen - she is indeed a fighting Irish - but the news about Kayla sucks. Thats especially tough for one so young. My condolences to her family and Jen, and you and Leah too as I am sure you guys developed a great bond over the last year.

Your signature sums it up - faced that possibility 20 years ago. I was lucky.

I'm so happy for Jen, you and the rest of your family. I've been pre-occupied with my own family heartache but when OFC comes into mind I think of Jen and the relief I feel for all of you.

Just a little update on my Pops. He is terminal. The morphine is helping....for now. And the anti-depressants, I believe, are helping him to cope. I'm not too sure though as I have fears about what's to come. I can only ask God to please have mercy on him.

But hearing and see Jen doing so well is super news! God Bless.

I'm so happy for Jen, you and the rest of your family. I've been pre-occupied with my own family heartache but when OFC comes into mind I think of Jen and the relief I feel for all of you.

Just a little update on my Pops. He is terminal. The morphine is helping....for now. And the anti-depressants, I believe, are helping him to cope. I'm not too sure though as I have fears about what's to come. I can only ask God to please have mercy on him.

But hearing and see Jen doing so well is super news! God Bless.

Again I know what you are going through. I lost my mom in March after six weeks of being diagnosed she had never been sick in her life. We were told the same day that nothing could be done and "if you fight this war the end will be the same."

An amazing Dr helped us out (Dr Vincent Miada Google him) She didn't suffer at all and after the life she had we didn't want to see her suffer.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear the latest news Nancy and all the best.

Here's something to help make you smile, sure has me beaming since receiving the links from Jen at midnight.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KQ-GH-ty5sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hKRFnZP5L4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/baXkSyHf9Eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qhQAnpXNk1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What size skirt... I could probably get a bulk order in! :sarcasm: (and THANKS!)

In the first video I thought that the physiotherapist was saying size 2.. size 5. But it's 5 foot 2 and 5 foot 5. 3 inches difference when on the unattached leg.

Edited by irishfield

Jen's blog post from last Tuesday the 18th. Some of it sure makes you think..

Unwanted Anniversary

It has been an extremely long year in so many ways. In others it seems like just the other day I was hearing the word tumor for the first time in reference to myself. It has been a real whirl wind of information, tests, treatments and hospital stays. It's really difficult to summarize the ups and downs of the past year in just one post. Instead of some long winded, never ending ramble, I've decided to go with a count down of my year since being diagnosed with cancer.

365 days since being diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma

157 (approx) blue trays delivered / meals provided in the hospital. 47 (approx) of which were actually eaten by me (99% being boxed Rice Krispies cereal for breakfast)

96 staples removed (83 staples after hemi pelvectomy + 13 staples after biopsy)

77 lbs, my body weight low (very scary)

69 days in the hospital (not counting any "day trips" for appointments or tests)

47 different visitors while in hospital, totaling 100s of individual visits

44 get well / thinking of you cards (including 1 GIANT whale card from my coworkers)

40 days of chemotherapy / over 30 weeks / done in 10 rounds

38, the magic number/temperature that meant I had to go straight to the hospital emergency room

35 prescriptions filled

33 blog posts, make that 34

21 insurance claims totaling $38,126.67 - sorry Sun Life (and to think that total doesn't even include everything OHIP covers)

17 days that I kept the diagnosis a secret from friends and coworkers as I waited for more results/details, during which time I continued to go to work and socialize with friends

17 flower bouquets / potted plants

16 hours of surgery (12 hour hemi pelvectomy to remove right half of pelvic bone + 3 hour surgical biopsy to determine type of cancer and stage it + 1 hour, awake, to insert portacath)

11 different head scarfs / hats worn + 1 wig

10 needles at $2,743.65 each

9 "fever watches" (closely monitoring my temperature as it hovered around the edge of having to go into emerg)

9 stuffed animals (3 bears, a kitten, a bunny, a little frog, a ram/mascot named Eggy, a dog named Jellybean, and a giant round monkey I named Paul Winston)

4 personalized t-shirts (thank you girls)

4 MRIs (plus at least 9 other xrays/scans)

3 prayer shawls made for me

3 blood transfusions (8 bags)

2 hospitalization for febrile neutropenia - fever with an abnormally low number of white blood cells (aka a fever after chemo)

2 helium balloons

2 nights spent in the hospital room next to "Mr. Smith" (aka Jack Layton)

1 spa night in the hospital (thanks to my sister)

1 book club in the hospital (it was my turn to host)

1 right hemi pelvectomy (surgery)

0 times throwing up from chemo!!! (just a couple close calls)

It's easy to be overwhelmed by the past year when you focus on all the negative or unfortunate points. However, if you look back over this list you'll see that nearly half the points are positive. Yes there are definitely some negatives from the year that can't be counted and are missing from the list, like the side effects of chemo, but there are just as many positives. Things like celebrating my birthday with a perfect night in with the girls. My boyfriend spending the night at the hospital on a cot set up beside my bed. Showing up to dinner with a friend, only to find out (surprise!) all my friends are there to celebrate the end of my chemo treatments. Or my girlfriends bringing an afternoon on the patio right to my hospital room, complete with food, sunglasses, a make shift sun, and "root"beer. All we can do is make the best of the hand we're dealt and when the situation calls for it, fight. Fight to preserve some of the normalcy in your life. Fight to keep a smile on your face. Fight to survive!

A big thank you to all the friends, family, and medical professionals in my life, I couldn't have made it through the past year without you.