Fly recommendations

Dozer

Hey all you fly fishing finatics,

I've spent at least 10 hours spinning different types of flies in the last week, stuff I'll probably never use but hey, they look great and fill the fly box well :)

Anyone have any fles they recommend to spin? I've tied lots of prince nymphs, pheasant tails, hare hairs, buggers, copper johns.

I've only recently started using flies and got hooked on spinning my own, my fishing buddy didn't beleive I tied the flies I showed him, I took it as a compliment :)

I will be using them for rainbow's and browns.

mysis shrimp patterns are hugely overlooked and work very well...google search should bring up some recipes, easy to tie

i'm personally a big fan of soft hackle wet flies, don't see them fished too much anymore

adams, royal wulff and march brown are all good dry flies to master...mastering dividing calf tail wings has never quite happened for me, ha, long winter to practice

ants patterns are killer late summer to early fall

are you looking for jsut anything to tie? or you want patterns for fall/winter fishing?

post some pics, let's get a thread going and see what everybody is tying up...all 5 fly fishers on OFC...lol

Good start with those nymphs, they'll do well in lots of situations.

For this time of year with steelhead in mind.....

Woolly Buggers in black, brown and purple

Egg sucking leeches

Egg flies in various colours (mega easy to tie!)

Stoneflies

Big (size 10) prince nymphs and pheasant tails

Does this make me OFC fly fisher no3??? :D

Don't forget a few streamers - Muddlers, Mickey Fin, Black Nose Dace

Klinkhammers

Loop leaches

Damsel Fly Nymph

Elk hair caddis

San Juan worm

Crayfish and scud imitations

Now that you have plenty of flies tied get out and fish - lots of steel in the rivers.

Dan

Not tryin to hijack, but I don't have a lot to offer. So I figure I'll try to generate some more discussion on a thread devoted to flies... anyone got any suggestions as to fly selection in a big river with stained water? The grand dowstream from caledonia in particular. As the season progresses the water will clear up. Fly selection will become much easier. For now though I'm thinkin big and gaudy, bright or dark, not neutral. Dead drifted, swung or even stripped in. Am I on the right track? The books all say yes. But the books haven't fly fished this part of the river.

Alot of good flies mentioned above but don't overlook learning to read the water and using the appropriate fly for the conditions. Like for instance,a black whooley bugger pattern would be good in stained water where visibility is limited and the fish may only see a silhouette and take it thinking its a black colored stone fly. In clear water you may have to scale down a few sizes and use something more natural looking like a prince nymph,hares ear or pheasant tail. If the current is strong you can add a brass bead to your pattern to get it down into the zone faster...

Here's a few pics from last weekend where I was fishing stained water and the bows were taking the bead head whooley bugger quite readily. Later on in the afternoon high light hours I switched to a unweighted scaled down purple whooley bugger with some blue flash tied into it. The blue flash caught the sunlight nicely and the more natural fall of the scaled down unweighted fly was irresistible for those tight lipped bows that were left behind by the morning crowd:D Zoom in on the last picture and you can just make out the purple fly still firmly imbedded in the trouts jaw. Its quite small really for a bugger but very effective in the stained water.

22222157.jpg

22222162.jpg

22222166.jpg

Good Luck !!

Not tryin to hijack, but I don't have a lot to offer. So I figure I'll try to generate some more discussion on a thread devoted to flies... anyone got any suggestions as to fly selection in a big river with stained water? The grand dowstream from caledonia in particular. As the season progresses the water will clear up. Fly selection will become much easier. For now though I'm thinkin big and gaudy, bright or dark, not neutral. Dead drifted, swung or even stripped in. Am I on the right track? The books all say yes. But the books haven't fly fished this part of the river.

Chris has pretty much covered it but unless the Grand has more colour than last weekend when I fished it, when it's carrying a little bit of colour, I'd go for something with a bit of colour or flash but not really gaudy. The old adage of coloured water colourful fly and clear water, drab fly works for me and it goes by degrees, bit of colour to the water, have a bit of colour in your fly.

I tied up a few of these last night (not a pic of my actual fly!) with a pink bead for the head and both with and without the flash in the body and I'll give them a go at the weekend as most rivers still have a tuinge of colour to them.

290802950_e10501dd1e.jpg

Hey all you fly fishing finatics,

I've spent at least 10 hours spinning different types of flies in the last week, stuff I'll probably never use but hey, they look great and fill the fly box well :)

Anyone have any fles they recommend to spin? I've tied lots of prince nymphs, pheasant tails, hare hairs, buggers, copper johns.

I've only recently started using flies and got hooked on spinning my own, my fishing buddy didn't beleive I tied the flies I showed him, I took it as a compliment :)

I will be using them for rainbow's and browns.

Sounds like you've got a good start to your selection as those are all proven winners.

i'm personally a big fan of soft hackle wet flies, don't see them fished too much anymore

I too am a big fan of soft hackle wet flies! My grandfather who taught me to tie flies some many moons ago

favoured that style over all others and for good reason. :D