Which fish is most likely to return to where it just got caught?

Kwan

Which fish goes right back where it came from?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which fish goes right back where it came from?

• Perch
    • Pike
    • Bass
    • Bluegill
    • Catfish
    • Walleye
    • Trout

A few years back we did an experiment of sorts to find out if fish do go back to their original structure.After catching several 2-3 lb smallies we placed small tags on them.We then released them in front of our cottage,a mile or so away from where they were caught.Three nights later we caught two of them right back on the original hump.

A few years back we did an experiment of sorts to find out if fish do go back to their original structure.After catching several 2-3 lb smallies we placed small tags on them.We then released them in front of our cottage,a mile or so away from where they were caught.Three nights later we caught two of them right back on the original hump.

that is so coolthumbsup_anim.gif

I joined here in March of 08. Pretty sure I was looking for info for summer fishing of some sort.

I stay because my daughter and I have received a lot of great support and encouragement with our new found sport together.

I think you've got the wrong thread there, my friend.

Do you see some fish go right back to the same spot?

Or imagine a bass has a nightmare every time it sees that weedbed lol

Well ice fishing in shallow clear water I've seen pike just go straight down and bury their nose literally straight in the muck and stay their for 1/2 hour before moving slowly off.We rarely waste time keeping any we don't want out of the water so they aren't stressed at all.

Perch will go down right back to the school if it's still their and just move off to the outside or away if the school moves.

Bass that I've encountered in the summer just head straight for the nearest piece of cover even if they came out of that spot.

Kerry

Well ice fishing in shallow clear water I've seen pike just go straight down and bury their nose literally straight in the muck and stay their for 1/2 hour before moving slowly off.We rarely waste time keeping any we don't want out of the water so they aren't stressed at all.

Perch will go down right back to the school if it's still their and just move off to the outside or away if the school moves.

Bass that I've encountered in the summer just head straight for the nearest piece of cover even if they came out of that spot.

Kerry

mr pike i'm sure was just trying to soothe his lip, being all sore and all from his recent unwanted piercing biggrin.gif

Edited by stubbex

I think that smaller fish tend to school, while many big fish have a range. In any water the best fish will have the best feeding/resting spot.

Bill Siemantel, writing about huge 15 - 20 pound bass, observed that big fish had a home range that was close to the shallows, for spawning and had access to deep water.

These fish hold in areas where everything they needed is close at hand. They move up and down their range as food and season dictates.

These big bass are the top predictor in their waters...

I wonder if the same is true when even larger Pike or Musky are present in the environment?

Mutual protection is one reason to school, that might be why smaller fish in all species seem to school-up.

Older/larger fish often seem to be loners. Perhaps because they no longer have any peers...However, in big water even big Musky can be found in schools.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I have caught the same Catfish for the last 3 years from the same immediate area and have even followed them from being hooked to back to were they live in the wood piles. The pole also should have a second question and that is What species do you target the most? I think you will find the species we are the most familiar and fish for the most will mirror our answers for the original question. Yes it is Catfish that I most fish for.

Art

well Steelhead trout smell something like 4 parts per million, circle the great lake they live in, or travel thousands of KM in the ocean to return to its stream of origin.Hows that sense of direction! I read somewhere the stray rate is something like 3 % of trout go up the wrong river