waterproof cams

SRT8 smoker craft

Thanks Cudz I did buy the fuji been taking some shots and have a couple really cool shots of the hatchery roe I'm tying up right now the macro setting works great I will put up a full reveiw hopefully with some chromer pics to go with it can't wait to get a under water shot to see how it works.

i bought the fugi awhile back on the recommendation of Ryan (Mercers Camera man )...im very pleased with it ...but what i do not like about it is the port to connect it to the computer is kinda in a tough spot (fat fingers i guess) it does take surprisinly decent pics though ..and it is really cool to do the HD underwater movies

i would by another one if i had to do it over again ...159 bucks is a great deal ...i paid the 199.00 when it came out ..

cheers

One other important thing to think of when purchasing a new camera is what it uses for power. Many of the cameras still use AA batteries and they can be costly to keep loading up with. One of the reasons I like the Olympus cameras is because they use LION (lithium ion (think cell phone batteries)) rechargable batteries. I purchase a second battery and can easily swap out a dead one in the field.

For my new camera I purchased a second battery that came with a 110/12 volt charger for $20 shipped from ebay.

You can pick up Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries in AA & AAA sizes for a pretty reasonable price. That is what I use for my camera. I like the AA format because I can always pickup some alkalines in pinch or share the camera batteries with other stuff.

www.blacks.ca/blacks/jump/product/30969/Pentax-Optio-W90-(Green)/cat40007/Compact-Digital-Cameras/product.jsp?prdId=30969&bauth=1

Pentax

Olympus

http://www.blacks.ca/blacks/jump/product/30797/Olympus-Stylus-Tough-6020-%28Green%29/cat40007/Compact-Digital-Cameras/product.jsp?prdId=30797&bauth=1

You can pick up Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries in AA & AAA sizes for a pretty reasonable price. That is what I use for my camera. I like the AA format because I can always pickup some alkalines in pinch or share the camera batteries with other stuff.

I find AA batteries (rechargeable NiMH or non rechargeables) suck. They are very convenient in the fact that they are sold just about everywhere if yours run dead. Too many times during cold steelheading trips in late fall, winter and early spring have I found they couldn’t handle the temps and failed to turn on when I needed them. Sticking them in a shirt pocket or inner jacket pocket only led to major condensation buildup outside and inside the lens when it was time to take a picture. Sticking only the batteries into a jacket pocket and having to fiddle around with sticking them into a camera while battling a fish of a lifetime isn’t all that appealing to me. I spent the last 3yrs using cameras with lithium ion batteries and wouldn’t go back to AA's.

put my pentax for sale here I think I will go back to non waterproof technology,

Louis, I had a go with the Canon D10 last week at the Henry’s photography show last week...Looks kinda like a toy camera but the image quality is pretty good for a P&S. I believe it uses the same sensor as Canon’s other non-waterproof cameras. Colours are punchy (if you’re into that) and if I personally wasn’t heading towards getting an underwater housing for my DSLR, the Canon D10 would be my first choice.

Before you sell your Pentax, have you tried playing around with the in-camera colour saturation levels (if any). Most cameras usually allow +/- 3 to 5 settings to suit the photographer's tastes.

Mike

I have a Olympus tough 6000 and I'm very happy with it. Haven't tried it underwater but I like the fact that I don't need to worry about getting it dirty or wet. It's shock proof to 1.5m which is a bonus when my kids want to give it a go, my little son actually dropped it and it was okay. Photo quality is fine too.

I talked to a sales guy at blacks and he told me that Olympus has been focusing most of the R & D money on the case and the water proof technology as opposed to the lens and picture quality. So even with the new cameras that are out with Olympus, they are not much different from the ones they offered a couple of years ago.

This is what I have been told.

You also have to see how well they take pictures indoors or low light. Not all your shots are going to be of fish and underwater. I have an older Olympus stylus and the picture quality indoors in terrible. For outdoor shots with lots of light, its hard to get a bad shot.

I don’t know the deal about fuji.

I love my canon ashot 550 or what ever model it is one of the main reasons is the self timer I can set it for 30 seconds before it takes the first pic I have it set for 10 shots so I have 40 seconds to get at least 1 good shot of a fish whe nfishing by my self or with my kids so they can be in the shot with me. I want to get a nice water proof one but will wait for tehm to come down in price in the canon models.

Hey Brad is that a Jeffy B bobble head?

You also have to see how well they take pictures indoors or low light. Not all your shots are going to be of fish and underwater. I have an older Olympus stylus and the picture quality indoors in terrible. For outdoor shots with lots of light, its hard to get a bad shot.

Yes this is true. There are very few cameras now over $120 that aren’t great in sunny, outdoor lighting. Low light on the other hand is the arch nemesis of all cameras.

If you’re truly a pixel peeper, most P&S cameras aren’t that great in low light (indoors for example) – some are obviously better than others though. IMO judging by the images posted up on various fishing message boards, P&S cameras aren’t all that great underwater either (but they do make for some pretty awesome action shots if you ignore the graininess) – I am a pixel peeper. Up until last year, it seemed that most companies were quite content in trying to cram more and more megapixels onto the tiny sensors of the cameras. The end results were grainy, noisy images in low light conditions. They increased the possible resolution of the photograph (in case you decide to blow it up to print) at the expense to the overall image quality. Some companies like Canon are actually improving the image qualities of their cameras by down-shifting from 15.5mp (In their G10 prosumer P&S model) to the current 10mp in their current G12 model.

Well I went with the Fuji Like I said earlier and I'm happy so far I definately need to learn more about it's settings and stuff because I have got a few washed out pics but most pics have been good tried the underwater release shot but water was to dirty and the fish was still ready to go (didn't P around just horsed the little shaker in ) so the pic didn't turn out very good anyways here's the pic 1 underwater and a nice little buck.

005.jpg

010.jpg