waterproof cams

SRT8 smoker craft

Like the title says I'm thinking about getting a WP digital just wondering what you guys/gals use and if anyone has had any issues with either cam both are on sale for $160 for fuji and $170 for the olympus heres the links but the olympus is on sale at shoppers drugmart not BB.

Fuji

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/fuji-fujifilm-finepix-xp10-waterproof-digital-camera-blue-xp10/10141898.aspx?path=4e58c3dd557c78b1087e7699bbcc67e6en02

Olympus

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/olympus-olympus-stylus-tough-3000-12mp-waterproof-digital-camera-blue-227615/10139334.aspx?path=853c3aab809f4d1d53d405b68c7068dden02

Thanks for the imput hope to have some cool underwater shots soon :thumbsup_anim:

Funnily enough I was looking at the same thing this morning after I got an email from Amazon about these http://www.amazon.ca/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camcorder/dp/B0030MITDK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1287168008&sr=1-2 no optical zoom, which shouldn't be an issue for pictures of fish and it looks like it's even more robust than the Fuji or Olympus so I could use it for photos and video while snowboarding.

That said, last time this topic came up I think the Fuji was the one to go for between it and the Olympus.

My current (stylus 1050SW) camera and my last camera (stylus 300) are both Olympus and have both been excellent cameras.

All the shots in This thread were taken with my 1050SW.

Sorry I haven't put up any UW pics yet.

The optical zoom is still an important feature even with just fish pictures. The zoom was used on most of the pictures in the referenced thread.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Canon PowerShot D10 - This camera seems to come out on top in the reviews and is on sale at Dell.

Canon Powershot D10 Waterproof Digital Camera

This camera has a unique and an unusual design and is quite durable. This camera can withstand water drops fallen from as high as 4 feet water drops and can be used for underwater photography till 33 feet deep in the water. Due to its bulky looks, it has strictly remained as a beach/vacation camera only. However, it is ranked higher in the best waterproof digital camera 2010 ratings. Average cost of Canon Powershot D10 Waterproof Digital Camera is around USD 340.

Edit - Add an 8G card for another $20. With Card.

Fuji Fine Pix XP 10 - Great price on this one if you are looking at the Fuji (at Dell as well and no I do not work for them. lol!)

Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP Waterproof Digital Camera

This waterproof digital camera is popular for its inexpensiveness. Despite having 10 megapixel picture resolution, the results are not much cheerful. However, it is still a popular waterproof digital camera for its moderate price. This camera can withstand water drops fallen from as high as 4 feet water drops and can be used for underwater photography till 10 feet deep in the water. Average cost of Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP Waterproof Digital Camera is around USD 200.

Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 Waterproof Digital Camera

This camera gets higher rating amongst the waterproof camera reviews on its durability. However, the picture quality is a hampered issue that reveals in many waterproof digital camera comparison reports. This camera can withstand water drops fallen from as high as 6.6 feet water drops and can be used for underwater photography till 33 feet deep in the water. It is also freezeproof till 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Average cost of Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 Waterproof Digital Camera is around USD 400.

2009 reviews - Some great information here. A year old but useful.

2010 reviews -

Best Waterproof Digital Camera

Waterproof Digital Camera Comparison

There that will keep you busy.wink.gif

Edited by fishnsled

It depends what you want.

1. If you want a great camera that happens to be waterproof, choose the Panasonic TS2 or the Sony Tx5. I own the Sony TX5 and it is awesome.

2. If you want a waterproof camera that happens to take alright pictures, look at the Fuji or Olympus at that price point.

Do your homework, some of the features on the high-end cameras are really worth it.

Thanks guys fishnsled thanks for takin the time to put that together. Scugog I'm looking for a tough WP to toss in my fishing bag and not have to worry about it as long as it takes decent pics than I will be happy I'm just tired of killing a digital every year and I have a pretty good cannon point and click for everything else

One other important thing to think of when purchasing a new camera is what it uses for power. Many of the cameras still use AA batteries and they can be costly to keep loading up with. One of the reasons I like the Olympus cameras is because they use LION (lithium ion (think cell phone batteries)) rechargable batteries. I purchase a second battery and can easily swap out a dead one in the field.

For my new camera I purchased a second battery that came with a 110/12 volt charger for $20 shipped from ebay.

Like the title says I'm thinking about getting a WP digital just wondering what you guys/gals use and if anyone has had any issues with either cam both are on sale for $160 for fuji and $170 for the olympus heres the links but the olympus is on sale at shoppers drugmart not BB.

Fuji

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/fuji-fujifilm-finepix-xp10-waterproof-digital-camera-blue-xp10/10141898.aspx?path=4e58c3dd557c78b1087e7699bbcc67e6en02

Olympus

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/olympus-olympus-stylus-tough-3000-12mp-waterproof-digital-camera-blue-227615/10139334.aspx?path=853c3aab809f4d1d53d405b68c7068dden02

Thanks for the imput hope to have some cool underwater shots soon :thumbsup_anim:

Well lets just say from my own experience i bought the Olympus m Tough just because my friend (Buster)has the fugi... and i had used his camera lots befor i decided to buy a new one. So lets just say the battery life in it is very poor, and thte zoom on it still looks like your a million miles away 12mp ya right> Fugi i wish i bought!

Well lets just say from my own experience i bought the Olympus m Tough just because my friend (Buster)has the fugi... and i had used his camera lots befor i decided to buy a new one. So lets just say the battery life in it is very poor, and thte zoom on it still looks like your a million miles away 12mp ya right> Fugi i wish i bought!

Fuji right

last time you can come over for BBq steak and chardonney

I looked at all of those camera's recently and opted for the pentax optio w90, the conclusion and here are a few pics is that its underwater features are great, but it lacks seriously in color saturation and portrait capability

I was much happier with the image quality of my 8mp canon, so unless your bend on the water proof shock proof qualities I think that there are far better options for a camera

here is an underwater shot, the color saturation is fair to good

20100830_1566.jpg

here is a close up macro on the camera

20101010_1613edit.jpg

and a fish picture

20101009_1622_edited-1.jpg

here is where it lacks big time, here is a family shot from a few weeks back and in my opinion the quality is awful, and the settings are such that it should be the best quality pictures possible

20101010_1609.jpg

conclusion I think that the pentax is the best of all the options right now on the market and I think it falls short on lots of fronts, I ll more then likely sell it in the next few