Shimano Voltaeus rods

BucktownAngler

I have a 6'6 med casting rod. I've been using it alot for crankbaits, its got a really fast action but has a good backbone as well. I know they have alot of models, but I've heard they are a really good and strong rod for your buck. The only thing I don't really like about it is that it weighs much more then my other rods, so I often find myself avoiding it. But it may just be that the reel I combined it is a little heavier as well. I paired it with a Shimano Cruxis.

I have 6 or 7 of these rods in different sizes and actions after spending some time talking to Dave about them this spring, his show on sharks where he was battleing big sharks on these rods with no problems started the conversation. All I can say is they are the "Ugly Stick" of the Shimano line , a little too heavy as LucG said but strong and still sensitive(way more than any ugly stick I ever hated lol) and for the quality CHEAP . For the weekend guy and even for the semi serious , a very good choice in my humble opin . B

Does anybody own one a Shimano Voltaeus rod? I saw the display at BPS and checked out the light action 2-6lb 5'6" rod...i loved the feel of it more so then any other comparable rods.

Is anybody using one of these? I know Dave mercer recommends them..

I actually just bought the 5 foot version of it yesterday...Im going out tongith but I think im gonna fly fish but i may try it.

Guest jaeteriusZero

In my opinion a great rod for the money, but if weight is critical this may not be the right rod for you. I also heard that it's not ideal for finesse applications, but for most applications it's great. Very durable rods for the money.

I personally find them too heavy to use, especially for finesse fishing. For $50, there are a lot of other better choices out there. Maybe it's because I seldom break my rods so I find their "unbreakable" claim rather unappealing. Probably good for inshore application, but not as good as other light models for fishing the rivers and lakes, IMHO.

I personally find them too heavy to use, especially for finesse fishing. For $50, there are a lot of other better choices out there. Maybe it's because I seldom break my rods so I find their "unbreakable" claim rather unappealing. Probably good for inshore application, but not as good as other light models for fishing the rivers and lakes, IMHO.

I agree. If your prone to breaking rods then go for it but, I would look into getting something more sensitive. Don't fall for the marketing hype. Look around for sales, I'm sure you can get a nicer rod for the money.

they sound like they would be good for some applications

I use fiberglass casting rods for open water/deep water crank baits

my hook up % went way up when I started using them, I use to get hits and miss a lot of fish. I think I was reacting too fast and pulling the bait away from the fish...but with the fiberglass rod the fish has a second or two more before I set the hook and I am getting more to the boat

so a fiberglass carbon mix should work about the same way