Canadian made, let's make a list

Dave Bailey

Great thread Dave. You have put much time and effort into it.

I wonder how many products from the original thread from 2010 have now out sourced off shore now ?. Many I believe if they are in the business to make money which ultimately the goal of every business, well most businesses.

Would you feel any Steel coming from Arcelor Mittal or US Steel here in Ontario not considered Canadian? I would, 99% of the staff are Canucks as well as the ancillary suppliers employees.

Anyone that wouldn't buy from other than from a wholly owned Canadian company will be shopping for quite a while unfortunately.

What about Johnny D's Meat in The Pan Worm Harnesses, made right here in Selkirk On. Sorry too expensive.

Great thread Dave. You have put much time and effort into it.

I wonder how many products from the original thread from 2010 have now out sourced off shore now ?. Many I believe if they are in the business to make money which ultimately the goal of every business, well most businesses.

Would you feel any Steel coming from Arcelor Mittal or US Steel here in Ontario not considered Canadian? I would, 99% of the staff are Canucks as well as the ancillary suppliers employees.

Anyone that wouldn't buy from other than from a wholly owned Canadian company will be shopping for quite a while unfortunately.

What about Johnny D's Meat in The Pan Worm Harnesses, made right here in Selkirk On. Sorry too expensive.

Yeah, as I keep saying, a lot of it entails a judgement call. My intent is in many ways personal. I have no problem with people buying from whomever they wish, but I like to support Canadian businesses, even better if they're local, and I prefer to not support countries with dismal human rights records. You're totally correct when you say "Anyone that wouldn't buy from other than from a wholly owned Canadian company will be shopping for quite a while unfortunately." That's the nature of today's world, and I have no problem with people from different countries working together, it creates understanding and brings us all closer.

And I can't find any reference to Johnny D's, am I missing something? :P

Yeah, as I keep saying, a lot of it entails a judgement call. My intent is in many ways personal. I have no problem with people buying from whomever they wish, but I like to support Canadian businesses, even better if they're local, and I prefer to not support countries with dismal human rights records. You're totally correct when you say "Anyone that wouldn't buy from other than from a wholly owned Canadian company will be shopping for quite a while unfortunately." That's the nature of today's world, and I have no problem with people from different countries working together, it creates understanding and brings us all closer.

And I can't find any reference to Johnny D's, am I missing something? :P

I'm Johnny D and my exclusive Meat in the Pan Wormharnesses have yet to be marketed to the public, I don't know how to use those laughing, winking smiley guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of fishing/boating related items made in Canada.

Bow Buddy: http://www.trailer-rockguard.com/

Traile Tux: http://www.trailertux.com/index.php

Both came back with:

Not Found

The requested URL /forums/undefined was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I took this off another forum where the conversation turned toward ethics, companies and where they get their components.

Originally Posted by TomSnout333 View Post
Well there's actually 8 of the companies that deal with communist product, including my own. There is also a company there that has their tents and sleeping bags put together in Vietnam...lol! Oh well... Trust me the hooks used are Mustad knock offs from North Korea. Why would I lie about that. Not going to give you the companies name because mine is one of them. They are some of the bigger ones in the Canadian tackle industry industry..

Companies buying from China when so much of the production has moved there is one thing... but North Korean knockoffs..all time scuzy level!! I wish I knew the companies I know I wouldn't buy from them again.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/08/dont-go-to-the-land-of-death-north-korean-slave-labourer-urges-tourists/

“But the people do not look alive. Everyone had malnutrition, you have constant diarrhoea. You have no strength. I saw people die every day. You eat anything – a plant shoot rises, you snatch it and eat it. Rats were a delicacy. If you saw a snake you grabbed it and bit off the head. But you ate the snakes raw – there was no time or means to cook.”

Both her parents and eight-year-old son died in the camp, in the 1970s. A decade ago, she bought false documents and crossed into China, from where she made her way to South Korea – where she now lives. Yesterday she was in London for North Korean Defectors’ Week, as Amnesty International said that the prison camps had expanded, and now held an estimated 200,000 people.

“It breaks my heart that now I live life in this bliss, while my family died in that land of death,” she said. “The world must take seriously what is happening there.”

On the North Korea note
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/12/north-korean-firing-squads-reportedly-execute-80-for-watching-foreign-films/
80 put to death were found guilty by the state of minor misdemeanors, including watching videos of South Korean television programs or possessing a Bible.

There are two facebook pages that have posted the question of where they get their hooks etc. to the companies and I see there are several ethical options that have responded so far.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianMadeOutdoorsGear?ref=hl

https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanMadeFishingGear?ref=hl

Edited by mosquito

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Pieroway rods?

ended up with a couple when out west a while back and still hold onto my metal detector 600 grain cause I really like the feel, as I understand it Jerry French and Geoff Pieroway teamed up some time fairly recently and my friend tells me it's his favorite. I havent seen or casted it so cant say.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, freshwaterflyco. said:

Pieroway rods?

ended up with a couple when out west a while back and still hold onto my metal detector 600 grain cause I really like the feel, as I understand it Jerry French and Geoff Pieroway teamed up some time fairly recently and my friend tells me it's his favorite. I havent seen or casted it so cant say.

Canadian marketed, not Canadian made. 

The end product however can be assembled in Canada with parts sourced globally (sadly) like this one.

1.jpg

4.jpg