Thunder Bay,

cwpowell

So couple weeks ago, I went up to Thunder Bay to do some camping, I drove up with my girlfriend and it was a beautiful drive, I have never really ventured too far past about Barrie, so it was a new experience for me, as we neared Sudbury we started to see the deer signs start turning into moose signs, and as soon as we saw that we started to see the rigs start to appear with giant bush bars and until we got to the town of Marathon I had never really acknowledged the sheer size of a moose. My god, what a magnificent creature.

Anyway we made it from Hamilton in about 15.5 hours after google maps took me down a gruelling closed log road.

We stayed at my Aunt and uncles house in oliver paipoonge and waited for my parents plane to get in and the next day we would head up to the camp on a lake off of the boreal road.

I'll keep it short. Fishing was amazing, and it was pretty depressing when we went out fishing when we got home because we couldnt go out and not catch our limit for the day up in Thunder Bay. My uncle is a trapper so he owns the only cabin on the lake, I didnt believe that till I saw it. Hope you enjoy the pics. I will post some more up when my girlfriend gives me the other camera.

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5281.jpg

DSC03046.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

DSC03032.jpg

DSC03029.jpg

DSC03028.jpg

DSC03022.jpg

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

DSC03002.jpg

DSC03000.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02929.jpg

Edited by cwpowell

Bald eagle. out front of his nest was a honey hole we caught a lot of fish there, also lost a lot of lures there too lots of boulder piles, that we saw after a little snorkelling trip to try and find my dads magic lucky lure haha. we threw the eagle a small pike every other day was very cool to watch him scoop a pike off the water 20 feet from the back of the boat. ive never really seen one in the wild these guys are HUGE birds, in the mornings you could see the little eaglets in the nest chirp chirp chirping.

DSC03011.jpg

DSC03010.jpg

Excellent shots. My fater in law also is a trapper here in Muskoka and he too has a cabin that sits alone on the lake. They must have different rules up north as no one is aloud to stay in the trap cabin overnight unless they are trapping. I believe even my father in law is limited to how long he can stay in the cabin when it is not trapping season. Which sucks because my wife and I were going to spend the weekend with my six year old and do some fishing. Some nice fish you caught

Ian

Glad you had a good time up here. Dan and I travel those roads often and never fail to appreciate the rugged beauty of our little corner of the world.

Hopefully you're already planning another trip minus the detour down the logging road lol. Next time you're up this way, send us a message and we'll arrange a meet. It's always nice to meet other members.

Cheers

Sis

That looked like a perfect getaway to me. I think you should visit your uncle more often!

My first trip this year Google directions also sent me down a logging road. Although, it actually wasn't that bad since it was recently leveled and [luckily] there were no trucks on it. It's that logging road that goes to Sultan (connects 560 to 129), I am sure many here have been on it. Anyway, from now on I am making sure the directions include only paved roads unless I have no alternative.

Cheers.

That looked like a perfect getaway to me. I think you should visit your uncle more often!

My first trip this year Google directions also sent me down a logging road. Although, it actually wasn't that bad since it was recently leveled and [luckily] there were no trucks on it. It's that logging road that goes to Sultan (connects 560 to 129), I am sure many here have been on it. Anyway, from now on I am making sure the directions include only paved roads unless I have no alternative.

Cheers.

That is the road I am talking about. I drove it before they "re-smoothed" it! When I turned onto it there were signs posted "Closed by police order" And all I had were my google directions so I didn't want to get off the beaten path and get lost with no cell phone reception and not a person in sight! I drive a Honda Civic that has been lowered a couple inches and it was a Thunder Storm! I was not happy!