Lake of the Giants (Part 2)

pooch

Lake of the Giants (Part 2)

What does a tournament angler do that has the entire week free to pre-fish the bass classic in Haliburton, but didn’t qualify for the classic? Hit a lake with the best shot at a monster bass. And that's exactly what my buddy (Doug Strong) and I did on Thursday.

This was the second time in two weeks that I have fished this lake (which shall remain nameless). Like I have said before, this lake has an ability to cough up big bass which can be an addiction no avid angler can kick. When you fish this lake, every cast, every pitch or flip has the potential to produce a big fish, so it takes a while to get into your grove and get down to serious fishing. The weather forecast was calling for a severe cold front this weekend and thunder storms in the evening so we knew the window of opportunity was now.

At our last outing on this lake Doug landed a 5 lb 8 oz beauty, but this time we were out for a six plus pounder. We started the day deep pitching to mid lake weed beds and working rock/weed points. Nothing produced for us in these locations so we stepped in a bit shallower working the mid depth inside and outside weed lines. These areas produced a couple more bites, but nothing of any size so we went shallower still pitching docks and finally found some quality fish.

One of the areas we found was in a back bay that had a bunch of shallow docks. I was casually chatting with Doug as I pitched my jig beside a very ho hum lacklustre looking dock. As soon as my jig sank a couple inches, I see my line moving in the opposite direction at a hundred mile per hour. Finally my brain kicks in and a big hook-set hits home. Doug hears me grunt and sees what he said looked like a small child doing a cannonball off the dock. After a couple back and forth bulldogging runs, I put my thumb down and crank her home. Doug reaches over the gunnels and in she comes, all 6 lb 1 oz of her. After a couple high fives, in the well she goes for a few quick pictures. (For reference the bass in my left hand weighted 4lb 3oz and looks like a baby next to Shamu in my right hand.)

b03cbe0f4ae68326e11dbe8dba9c.jpeg

This was definitely the biggest bass in my boat this year and I am really glad we got out for another great day on the “Lake of the Giants”. I sure hope the weather stays nice this fall as I would like to see what this lake can produce when the bass put on some more weight before winter. To be continued…

What worked?

Lure – 3/8 oz Hack Attack flipping jig with a Berkeley Chigger Craw trailer

Rods – 7’6” Shimano Crucial Medium Heavy / Extra Fast

Reels – Shimano Curado 201E7

Line – 65 lb Power Pro high-vis braided fishing line

Weather Conditions:

Overcast with occasional sunny periods

Winds were light 5 to 10 km/h from the south west

Air temperatures reached a high of 26 Celsius

@http://twitter.com/RedsFishin

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice fish. I think I have a pretty good idea where you are fishing. Rumors were that at one time 8 lbers were pretty common, but now it is heavily over fished.