Hobie Portage Fishing

justwannafish

So I went fishing/camping/portaging this weekend just north west of Orillia. My buddy and I had to lug my Hobie Pro Angler and all our gear into the lake (about 1km off the last 'road') which was a LOT easier said than done! Hahah, the trail is a rugged, to put it mildly, 4X4 trail in the summer and a snowmobile trail in the winter. What a mission to get there but it was worth every gallon of sweat!! When we got to the launch site after about two hours of hardcore portaging there were tinnies everywhere. I counted ten just at the cove where we launched so we borrowed one of those, put all out stuff in it, tied the PA to the front of the tinny and I towed us over to an island where we proceeded to set up shop. Very awesome campsite.

As for fishing, the first day was pretty slow. We spent the whole day on the water only pulling in for a quick shore lunch and then heading back out. Caught a few small largemouth and that was it the whole day. Even when the sun had just set there was still not much at all on the bite.

The next morning made up for it, however, by producing decent size fish (all largemouth) by the mitt full. We kept two of them for breakfast and threw the rest back. But again once that sun had risen the bite virtually switched right off. Nothing was even hitting again.

Unfortunately we didn't catch any of the Pikerel or Musky that I was told the lake was full of but the morning fishing was great and kept me smilin.

I think if I go back to that lake it'll be in springtime and I'll stay for a day or two longer. It was a great trip and the scenery was outstanding.

Good times and great fishing!

Here are a few pics that I took throughout the weekend.

Hope you enjoy!!

\'Portaging\'.JPG

Glad it worked out for you. God you should try lugging in a jon boat batteries and trolling motor plus musky gear.

Here's one of the many musky I've caught there. This seems to be as big as they get. Although my sample size isn't huge(18 fish) But I always have a good time back there.

untitldged.jpg