Sanctuary question

Marko

Hey guys how is it going.

Today i was fishing on Mississippi river, right bellow the bridge on hwy7 between Carlton Place and Perth.

This gentlemen walks up to me and tells me that the whole area (River part between two lakes) is a fishing sanctuary. He points to the tree and says everything down to that tree is off limits. Earlier that morning i saw 2 bass boats fishing inside the area that he was claiming to be a sanctuary. I have checked the regs before going there and could not find anything, but not being from there and not knowing that area well at all i left. I drove to Bait Casters, which was only couple of minutes from there and talked to a nice lady who worked there and she said that the area is closed only while bass season is closed, which makes sense.

Do any of you guys who are from the area know if that in fact is a sanctuary or that guy was just full of it.

Thank you

Marko

I have checked the regs before going there and could not find anything, but not being from there and not knowing that area well at all i left. I drove to Bait Casters, which was only couple of minutes from there and talked to a nice lady who worked there and she said that the area is closed only while bass season is closed, which makes sense.

You need to look harder.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001337.pdf

Mississippi River - Drummond Twp.,

from 79.2 m (260 ft.) east to 240.8 m Closed All Year

(790 ft.) west of Main Street.

And the bass shop lady was off the mark too:

Mississippi River - Drummond Twp., Fish sanctuary - no fishing from Mar. 1 - Fri. before 2nd Sat. in May.

from 79.2 m (260 ft.) east of Main

Street to Mississippi Lake.

I've only been there once, but if I remember right there's some rapids right above a wildlife sanctuary on Mississippi Lake, the whole stretch of shore fishable river is off limits.

A sanctuary would never be delineated by a tree or other temporary landmark. Call the MNR info line for details.

Outside of suburban S.Ont you'd be surprised what gets used as a "marker". It'll make sense to the locals but if you're used to having your countryside divided into neat squares things like "No Fishing 240.8m East of Happy Face Rock" can make you wonder.