weird thing happened this morning

mercman

was out fishing this morning with the wife. we were in the st lawerence just south of montreal in 30ft of water.i was positioning the boat into the wind and out of the blue i got a shallow depth alert !!! Lasted for about 20 seconds and then stopped and started to read 29.8 feet again. suddenly perch started jumping out of the water a few feet from the boat. that lasted for about a minute and the everything calmed down. Didnt really see a thing, but thought i saw a shadow in the stained water.

anyone ever have this happene to them

i know we have sturgeons here but dont know if that could make a sonar depth alert go off.ohmy.gif

Guest gbfisher

Coulda been one of those nasty old St. Lawrence River muskies cruising along under your boat :lol:

Cnv0640.jpg

That's one hellofa nice fish Marc put you on. I remember you saying how hard he worked to get you that fish. :good:

Coulda been one of those nasty old St. Lawrence River muskies cruising along under your boat :lol:

I was thinking the same thing...

I've had herring jump out of the water like crazy before in a known walley spot on the lake.

predatory fish pushing prey to the surface probably.....seen it happen with smallies before, followed the surface activity around and best 1 hr fishing of my life

also possible is some sort of hatch rising to the surface and perch busting on it...happen to see any insect activity buzzing around?

Could have been a Greenland Shark, i think theyre in the st. lawrence

I know those are around Nova Scotia waters so that would be a long way up the river for that beast. I'm thinking Musky or Sturgeon. Any rumors of St Lawrence monters in its waters?

predatory fish pushing prey to the surface probably.....seen it happen with smallies before, followed the surface activity around and best 1 hr fishing of my life

also possible is some sort of hatch rising to the surface and perch busting on it...happen to see any insect activity buzzing around?

matter of fact yes, there seemed to be tons of little knat like flies landing or taking off the surface of the water.humm

I know those are around Nova Scotia waters so that would be a long way up the river for that beast. I'm thinking Musky or Sturgeon. Any rumors of St Lawrence monters in its waters?

oh gee thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!! thats what i thought too, cause last nite i watched a docu on the lake champlain monsterw00t.gif monsters.sharks, ya wanna buy a boat and motorsad.gif

i watched an episde once about the green land shark, they looked at the st lawrence but not sure if the found them there

a fisherman apparently caught a blue shark just past quebec city, but that far east the salt and fresh water start to mix,but not here in montreal though.

Greenland sharks have been found in the St Lawrence River, near Baie-Comeau,Quebec. There was a documentary I believe on the Discovery Channel about Greenland sharks in the St. Lawrence. Research was done by Chris Harvey-Clark in 2003. Apparently they tagged some sharks and found that some males would travel up towards Quebec City and the females would stay in deeper water.

In the Saguenay fjord in 2006 a woman caught a Greenland shark while ice fishing.

Tom.

Cool thing to have happen...did you have any luck fishing that spot?

not today, but most of the fish i posted the other day came from this same place. walleys, sheepshead and a nice pike. it was almost fishless this morning. weird....