Does fishing line colour matter?

shimano25

I need some advice regarding the colour of the fishing line. I heard from somebody that it is best to use low-visibility lines (clear or flourocarbon) and lines that are thinner (low diameter) to have greater success in catching fish because fish can get spooked seeing the line. Is this true? What types of fishing lines do you guys recommend and which types of fishing lines do you usually avoid? I have always used Berkley Trilene (the red box one) and now use the Berkley Fireline Crystal (this seems to be most supreme line I ever used). Also, is it true that the higher the line pound the worse it is for non-detection? Thanks.

Edited by shimano25

I use fluro leader for fly fishing (I use a mixture of the BPS White River stuff and Rio) and when I'm using braid as main line, when fishing with flies, you sometimes see the fish come in for a lookand turn away so anything that makes the bait look more natural is helpful I think (a natural nymph doesn't have a visible line sticking out of it after all) and with braid (I use green Power Pro), it's more a confidence thing for me, it doesn't seem right to have a dark coloured line tied direct to the bait but you'll get plenty of responses from people telling you that tying direct doesn't make a difference to their catch ratio.

Try fishing with braid without a leader and see how you go - it's one less knot to weaken your setup and if you don't get any hits, try a leader.

I use Berkley Fireline as well.... If I'm going with straight mono I use the berkley smooth casting in a green colour.

I don't know how much it really matters but I'm sure some people will be pretty dead-set about which lines they use. I think it's funny that red coloured lines (cajun line) have been advertised as becoming invisible most quickly underwater, as red wavelengths are the first to disappear (at least I think that's the science behind the logic). Yet lure manufacturers often include red colours on baits to suggest a wounded baitfish to attract fish... Don't know if anyone else has ever thought about this but it just doesn't add up to me...

Fishing lines certianly does matter to fishermen. The fish I'm not as sure about. :dunno:

I believe in some situations line colour/visability does matter a great deal. Clear water, preserured fish, "slower" presentations, skiny water. Some might sugest that some spieces of fish are more line shy, but I think most of that can be covered by the other situations and the time of year that the fish are being targeted.

I certainly don't think line colour/ visibility is an issue 10 feet from my lure. The way I look at it, the final few inches or feet are for the fish. The rest is for me. So braid for feel or colour for line watching are my two primary concerns.

think it's funny that red coloured lines (cajun line) have been advertised as becoming invisible most quickly underwater, as red wavelengths are the first to disappear (at least I think that's the science behind the logic).

Red line doesn't become invisible, it just appears black as it gets deeper.

I think it's actually marketed to catch more fishermen than fish, but I could be wrong on that one :lol:

I put some pink fluorocarbon on my daughters reel. I'll let you know how it works out next week. I don't completely understand the point of a colored fluorocarbon, but I got it very cheap (I wonder why? lol).

I am of the opinion that it probably only matters with fish that get easily spooked.

I put some pink fluorocarbon on my daughters reel. I'll let you know how it works out next week. I don't completely understand the point of a colored fluorocarbon, but I got it very cheap (I wonder why? lol).

I am of the opinion that it probably only matters with fish that get easily spooked.

riiiiiiiight....your daughters reel :rofl2::whistling:

Some good answers here already. The question itself could have a very lengthy answer depending on water clarity/speed of retrieve/troll...etc...etc. For good old plain mono...I have done well with Trilene XT in 8 and 6 lb for more years than I care to remember (it's the green colour). If you are fishing slow in crystal clear water, than for sure go with a low visibility/flouro line or leader...it won't hurt. :D

I dip everything I buy in pink paint, because real men use pink!

Some call it pink, others call it "salmon, the tough fish" colour... :whistling:

Me, I have moss green braid, camo braid and some std. floro. lines so I guess I'm not sure what to use. But as Lew said, red is the first to go black as the line (or lure) goes deeper in the darker water. I DO think that the "black" is harder for a fish to pick up on and that is why there has been a trend in red hooks on the deeper diving lures. I could be wrong though, as I often am.

Edited by GBW

First of all everything I have to say is only my considered opinion.

Second, for ease of handling I use braid, with leaders most of the time.

I truly believe that in most cases, line size, colour or material doesn't matter to the fish, within reason.

My evidence...

Jig&Pig fishermen routinely win tournaments using Musky weight braided line to present a dead-fall bait to wise old fish in highly pressured waters. This is the ultimate dumb bait...It just lays there on the bottom in front of the fish's nose...If line size mattered these baits would catch nothing!

I believe that in most cases, line shyness has more to do with what is called "Drag" than with the line itself. Drag is caused by cross currents pulling on the line so that a bait moves unnaturally.

My Evidence...

In the past Fly fishermen sometimes used dental floss, which is quite visible, but very small in diameter and very limp, as a tippet on tough trout. Because, a high floating, small diameter line is less susceptible to drag.

Visibility might be highly over rated and the invisibility of Fluorocarbon might be largely a function of the advertising media...In a test done by TackleTour a few years ago, fluorocarbon line wasn't particularly less visible underwater, in a swimming pool, than Mono.

That doesn't mean we should ignore Fluoro, but let's not sell the farm just yet!

As has been pointed out, red is the first colour to fade to black underwater...but we are talking about 15 to 20 feet! Pink Fluoro is supposed to remain "invisible" even after it is nicked...according to the add copy-writers...grin.

I believe that with reaction baits, our results have little to do with line size, brand, colour etc. The fish are chasing/attacking what they see as an easy meal, they are not aware of what is pulling the bait along.

My evidence...

Musky fishermen use poorly painted pieces of shovel handle and hockey sticks, attached to heavy wire leaders to catch the top predator in the lake...Obviously fish are stupid!

Drop-shotting, live bait, shaky-head etc...Okay, a case can be made for fine-line, with finesse techniques, but I have caught a lot of Bass on Senko's using 15 and 20 pound braid without a leader!

If the bait falls naturally, the fish will bite it to see if it's good to eat...grin.

Garry2R's

Fishing is my favourite form of loafing.

I think it comes down to your style of fishing. If you are working the slop for bucketmouths, it does not matter. If you are fishing for spooky pickerel, the lighter hte line hte better and you get the best results with mono or fluorcarbon. I get my best results fishing for smallies using a caroline rig with a fluorcarbon lead.

Buy all three types of line and gauge your success to see for yourself.

Hmmm? I have used braided Dacron, black and camo, braided nylon, black and camo, Original Trilene, newer Trinene, Garcia line, Stren - golden, green clear blue, Prime, spiderwire, Vanish, and caught fish on them all.

I put a lot more value on trouble free and lure color. Stren original has been the most problem free for me, so it is my line of choice.

I need some advice regarding the colour of the fishing line. I heard from somebody that it is best to use low-visibility lines (clear or flourocarbon) and lines that are thinner (low diameter) to have greater success in catching fish because fish can get spooked seeing the line. Is this true? What types of fishing lines do you guys recommend and which types of fishing lines do you usually avoid? I have always used Berkley Trilene (the red box one) and now use the Berkley Fireline Crystal (this seems to be most supreme line I ever used). Also, is it true that the higher the line pound the worse it is for non-detection? Thanks.

i like the kind that change in the lite. i tried to match it to my eye color as much as possible. one can never look TOO good when you're on the watercool.gif

Years ago on a small lake near home I consistently out fished any one I took out & they always asked what was up, I blamed their line &/or leader if they were using one, I used Andes Green 10lb & they had a variety of white or clear lines, if I used a leader it was always black & they used silver, I out fished them likely 10 to 1 & when they used my rods it was a lot closer likely 6 for me & 4 for them, does it make a difference maybe, I'm not positive but my friends all bought black leaders & green line & started catching more fish bass, pike, musky, trout & salmon, I think it boils down to confidence

Just my 2 cents Richard