I think "garbage" fish taste great

shimano25

I know many pro anglers have this distate (no pun intended) for fish species like suckers, drums, bullheads, carp, etc. However, when I fry them up using those packaged seasoning powder you buy at Canadian Tire I think they taste great. I know that people will always rave about walleye, perch, crappie, etc., but I think those "trash" fish species also taste good when prepared right (and fried with the right seasoning). Anyone agree?

Where they are caught I think has more bearing than what species. I'd eat a whistle trout out of Nipissing before I ate a salmon out of Lake O.

For sure. Some species inheritenly taste better than others, but water and diet has a big difference on age.

Even size, some fish could be much heavier than others of the same age depending what lake they are in and their diet.

I have a buddy who smokes carp on ocassion and I would put them right up there with any other smoked fish. He pulls it out on our ice fishing trip and it's gone in minutes.

Catfish are okay out of cooler water, but I haven't tried sheephead or sucker yet.

I wish people would keep more carp. Whether they eat them or not I could care a less. Just get them out of my bass water!

Agreed! You couldn't pay me to eat a carp! The type of water and areas they come from and all that bottom feeding, not to mention the age of the fish, gross. I could make skunk taste good if I rolled it fish fry and sunk it in pot of oil, doesn't make it good or good for you.