Pflueger Supreme 9040XTX

bluesky1713

I just picked up a 4000 series Pflueger Supreme XT for my trip to the Attawapiskat, and am wondering other's experience with this reel?

Also, I was wondering whether having a high 'max drag' rating on a reel is a significant indicator of the reel's quality? Is higher better, or is it not really a big deal? 'Max drag', if I understand it correctly, is basically the maximum amount of tension your reel's drag can be tightened to (i.e. if you turn your drag at the top or bottom or your reel until it is as tight as it can go, and then pull line out).

Thanks.

I just picked up a 4000 series Pflueger Supreme XT for my trip to the Attawapiskat, and am wondering other's experience with this reel?

Also, I was wondering whether having a high 'max drag' rating on a reel is a significant indicator of the reel's quality? Is higher better, or is it not really a big deal? 'Max drag', if I understand it correctly, is basically the maximum amount of tension your reel's drag can be tightened to (i.e. if you turn your drag at the top or bottom or your reel until it is as tight as it can go, and then pull line out).

Thanks.

Max Drag numbers become more important if you're fishing an ultra-lite reel. I actually consider drag the most important part of an ultra-lite reel. I find that becomes a little less important for a medium powered reel. As far as fishing big reels is concerned, I'm in the dark as I don't fish for Musky/Salmon/Lakers etc very often.

My quick comment on pflueger reels. I own two (one is a fly reel). The spinning reel I own by Pflueger is a high-end ultra-lite and I find that it locks up IMMEDIATELY upon getting wet. I guess I've been spoiled by always fishing Stradics, but this has left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as far as Plueger is concerned.

Ryan

I guess the Stradics are sealed then? Is there any way around that problem?

Max Drag numbers become more important if you're fishing an ultra-lite reel. I actually consider drag the most important part of an ultra-lite reel. I find that becomes a little less important for a medium powered reel. As far as fishing big reels is concerned, I'm in the dark as I don't fish for Musky/Salmon/Lakers etc very often.

My quick comment on pflueger reels. I own two (one is a fly reel). The spinning reel I own by Pflueger is a high-end ultra-lite and I find that it locks up IMMEDIATELY upon getting wet. I guess I've been spoiled by always fishing Stradics, but this has left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as far as Plueger is concerned.

Ryan

I guess the Stradics are sealed then? Is there any way around that problem?

By no means am I a reel repairman. When I did talk to someone who is a wizard at repairing reels I said "my stradic gets wet all the time and never locks up" and he said "bull" It's true though, the stradic has NEVER locked up. I had some tightness in it once recently, but it turned out it was some debris that got in between the spool and the actual reel.

Regardless, he mentioned something about most reels having a stopper bearing. If this stopper bearing gets water in its compartment it will cause the reel to seize temporarily. I guess the Shimano stopper bearings are better protected than the Pflueger ones (which doesn't really surprise me).

Though, let's be clear, I'm not flaming Pflueger here, I am very happy with the performance of my UL reel (when it's dry).

Thanks for the info! A Stradic wasn't in the budget right now, but I'm looking forward to giving the new Pflueger a workout. It got so many good reviews, and came highly recommended to those I talked to at retail locations. They have been selling out pretty fast.

Thanks for the info! A Stradic wasn't in the budget right now, but I'm looking forward to giving the new Pflueger a workout. It got so many good reviews, and came highly recommended to those I talked to at retail locations. They have been selling out pretty fast.

I'm sure it's an amazing reel, let us know how it runs for you (perhaps a product review) after your big trip. As I Said, I'm very happy with my Pflueger, but I did almost lose a day of fishing to it seizing up - it took some riverbank TLC to get it back to right.

Pfluegers are like Shimano's, they're decent as long as you only catch little fish and don't stress them. I know a couple of guys that bought Supreme's for salmon & trout and they didn't last long before they loosened up. Drags are decent and they look purty, but they're built to a budget and longevity isn't the greatest.

Braid is brutal on reels, especially heavy braid on big fish. Good tip to aid reel life is to keep the drag slightly loose for the hook set and winch down once a big'un is on.

My friend bought one of those and he's a hardcore shimano fan. He wanted to try something different and he was really surprised how smooth the reel and drag was. Im a quantum fan and was thinking of getting thier latest model the large arbor! but then again i have four rods and five reels so im going to wait until someone steals them or when they break.

I have the Arbor model and I havent had any issues with it. I was a little leery about getting a Pflueger, I have always used Shimano, but since it was a gift I figured I would give it a shot.

I put 20lb powerpro on it and it has held up extremely well, the drag is smooth, and it has not skipped a beat. I have caught Musky up to 40", fair sized Pike, and average sized bass in thick weeds. I am going to try it out for Trout and Salmon this fall which should be a little more of a test. I have noticed that as advertised it seems to cast pretty far, compared to my Sedona, (maybe an extra 15-20 feet, but that could have something to do with the rod aswell (it is a med action Pflueger Arbor rod).

The only negative I could possibly talk about is the fact that it only came with 1 spool, and that it has a fairly slow gear ratio (I think its 4.2:1) which makes it hard to reel in a bait at warp speed to get another cast out, or to avoid a seagull. Having said that, the slower ratio is nice for slowly working crankbaits or spinnerbaits. Other than that I have been pretty impressed with it.