3 way rig alternative for trolling trout and salmon

Guest Rapala Boy

So I took a look at your rig. It makes sense. I assume that your slip knots are bobber stops. Or something along those lines.

The thing I don't like about your rig is all the extra knots. You've got a lure on a leader - 2 knots. Then a 3rd knot that attaches your weight. When you hook a fish, your leader is gonna slide down the mainline to your weight. A lot can go wrong here. Especially when dealing with fish in the 20 pound range.

Just a suggestion... google "snap weights" to me, this is a much easier way to get trolled lures deeper. You can make your own using snaps (try the red or orange offshore releases), split rings and bell sinkers. The only limitation is how heavy of a weight your tackle can handle.

Just a suggestion... google "snap weights" to me, this is a much easier way to get trolled lures deeper. You can make your own using snaps (try the red or orange offshore releases), split rings and bell sinkers. The only limitation is how heavy of a weight your tackle can handle.

I have to agree with this -- snap-weights are a no-nonsense method.

No nosense is right. Time on the water is best spent fishing. Break off? Then re rig. Snap weights get you back to fishing fast. Just tie on a new lure and clip on a weight and you're in business. I imagine retying a fancy rig in a kayak could be an awkward project.

I hate to break it to ya, but Salmon fishing isn't going to work out of a kayak, unless you are casting the piers, which will be soon...If you're still around here next spring I will take you out on Lake O.

oh yes it will :) trolling for salmon from a kayak is very doable. it takes time to master but once you do its game over for them :)

I hate to break it to ya, but Salmon fishing isn't going to work out of a kayak, unless you are casting the piers, which will be soon...If you're still around here next spring I will take you out on Lake O.

Heh, tell that to the guys in Michigan beating stinkpots in derbies!

MichYakMilwaukTourney.jpg

MichYakMilwaukBigFish.jpg

I've been dinging Kings out of canoes for almost 20yrs, in the new mussel cleaned water stealth is king baby (why do you think catches drop off in August nowadays?) Paddle craft can actually have an edge trolling the skinny water for staging Kings in 40-60FOW. If you're still around here next spring I'll take you out chasing brownies in the shallows, it's like stalking bonefish around Hamilton :D