3 way rig alternative for trolling trout and salmon

Guest Rapala Boy

Guest Rapala Boy

Trolling for trout and salmon is really popular, especially with 3 way rig. But the only problem is you can get tangled with a 3-way swivel easily, so I came up with a rig I invented over the winter.

It needs:

2 slip knots

2 stopper beads

an ordinary swivel

and your sinker for the main line

Instructions:

Put a slip knot on on the line

Then put a bead on the line

Then put a swivel (2-way)

Then put a bead again

Then put a slip knot again

Then put the sinker on the end of the main line

You can now tighten the slip knots wherever you like to make the distance to the sinker as long as you like, and tie your leader to the swivel and your lure on the end of the leader.

NO MORE TANGLES, I'VE TRIED IT, IT WORKS, NO WORRIES MATE

Trolling for trout and salmon is really popular, especially with 3 way rig. But the only problem is you can get tangled with a 3-way swivel easily, so I came up with a rig I invented over the winter.

It needs:

2 slip knots

2 stopper beads

an ordinary swivel

and your sinker for the main line

Instructions:

Put a slip knot on on the line

Then put a bead on the line

Then put a swivel (2-way)

Then put a bead again

Then put a slip knot again

Then put the sinker on the end of the main line

You can now tighten the slip knots wherever you like to make the distance to the sinker as long as you like, and tie your leader to the swivel and your lure on the end of the leader.

NO MORE TANGLES, I'VE TRIED IT, IT WORKS, NO WORRIES MATE

I really don't have a clue of what your talking about

Except when you snag up you lose the whole rig.

If your rig keeps getting tangled letting it down you need to drop it slower, not just opening your bail and dropping it.

In a paddle craft it's easier to drop when your moving down wind, then start on your trolling path.

It's actually not a bad way to rig imo.

Only exception being you're attaching the weight to end of the mainline.

In a normal 3-way or Wolf River rig the dropper with the weight is always lighter line.

That way if you get snagged you just lose the weight and not your entire rig.

As an aside I've been using 3-way rigs for a long long time and have never had a problem with tangling. :dunno:

That’s very similar to the helicopter rig that surf and carp fishermen use for distance casting. It is a low tangle rig in flight because as the lead weight travels through the air, the leader (and bait) will rotate around the mainline (I’m guessing from centripetal force). Mind you it works a lot better if both the leader and the mainline are stiff. I’ve personally never used it with lures (or outside of carp fishing). I’ve only used it with extremely durable baits (like cow corn and boilies for carp) as the rotational forces will cause softer baits to fly off the hook.

I normally rig up my bottom bouncing/drift rigs with split shot on a dropper line. If you have a mainline, a swivel, and then your leader and hook, you can leave a longer tag end on the knot which joins your mainline to the swivel – Put your split shots on this tag end of line. If your split shots snag up, one gentle pull will usually slide them off the dropper.

:worthy: You get the cigar, Mike. You're the first person to use the word "centripetal" on this board! I know cause I've been watching. :D

Actually Roy, the forces involved are probably centrifugal not centripetal.

Either way, I'm pretty sure no one else has used the word centrifugal either. :lol:

High school calculus is all flooding back to me now.LOL

Actually Roy, the forces involved are probably centrifugal not centripetal.

Either way, I'm pretty sure no one else has used the word centrifugal either. :lol:

High school calculus is all flooding back to me now.LOL

No Michael, trust me, that would be centripetal force.

Guest Rapala Boy

I hate to break it to ya, but Salmon fishing isn't going to work out of a kayak, unless you are casting the piers, which will be soon...If you're still around here next spring I will take you out on Lake O.

Your right, I've been waiting (almost wrote mating) for the salmon to come to the piers and enter the lower sections of the rivers or for the wind to come from the north so I can go to them, but it hasn't happened in the GTA yet. Thanks for the offer, but I think I can do it in a kayak. Their so close I can feel it lol...

Guest Rapala Boy

Pretty soon you'll be able to get away with long ligning.. and keep in mind that you'll be able to sneak up on em way easier with your yak!!

whats longlining? Is this a new trolling Method