Best Fishing Lake in Muskoka or Haliburton Region?

rover1.5dx

Just dreaming of a day when I might have the time and money for a cottage. Wondering what the best cottage lake in either the Muskoka or Haliburton district would be?

Criteria:

1) multi-species including lake trout, brook trout, walleye, bass, muskie or pike, and an assortment of panfish (yes, I know very few lakes have a combo of cold and warm water species).

2) quieter lake

3) clean water

4) good cottage association

5) money no object

6) within 2.5 hr of GTA

Thoughts?

Just dreaming of a day when I might have the time and money for a cottage. Wondering what the best cottage lake in either the Muskoka or Haliburton district would be?

Criteria:

1) multi-species including lake trout, brook trout, walleye, bass, muskie or pike, and an assortment of panfish (yes, I know very few lakes have a combo of cold and warm water species).

2) quieter lake

3) clean water

4) good cottage association

5) money no object

6) within 2.5 hr of GTA

Thoughts?

If money is no object, try Lake Rosseau -- a truly vast fishery that sees little pressure. Hardly a quiet lake, but its so big and complex that you can easily find quieter bays/peninsulas/etc/

definitly not muskoka area!! I'd drive hours out of my way to stay away from the riff raff in that area!!

My place is halfway between hali and bancroft, on a small lake with lakers and bass. There are so many lakes within a half hour drive, I have a hard time deciding where I want to fish!! After 20 years in the area, there are still sooooooooo many lakes I want to fish!!!

S.

The best fishing lakes in Muskoka & Haliburton don't have cottages on them.

1) Buy canoe & camping gear (think of it as a portable cottage, every weekend on a new lake! :D )

2) Wave at angry, frustrated, indebted, passive aggressive cottagers warning you not to fish their docks as you paddle by

3) Spend the saved money on fast motorcycles, hookers & blow

1) Buy canoe & camping gear (think of it as a portable cottage, every weekend on a new lake! :D )

2) Wave at angry, frustrated, indebted, passive aggressive cottagers warning you not to fish their docks as you paddle by

haha you sir are a legend.. that sounds perfect lol

Oooh! Now this sounds like a lot of fun. Where do I sign up? ;)

Actually I already have a canoe and all the gear. Have spent over 150 days in Algonquin, worked in Quetico and paddled rivers in Quebec, BC, NWT and Nunavut and caught some amazing fish (cutties, grayling, arctic char, etc)...been there and will continue to do that...

...but my next chapter in life may entail being a little more sedate and making the mrs. happy...

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

definitly not muskoka area!! I'd drive hours out of my way to stay away from the riff raff in that area!!

My place is halfway between hali and bancroft, on a small lake with lakers and bass. There are so many lakes within a half hour drive, I have a hard time deciding where I want to fish!! After 20 years in the area, there are still sooooooooo many lakes I want to fish!!!

S.

I hear ya..mine is also between hali and bancroft, tons of lakes and hardly any people, and fish like this.

100_0929.jpg

Edited by Court R

I can think of at least 6 bodies of water with prime fishing in the Skokas and the Highlands. They are prime bodies because they are rarely fished, a little remote, or folks don't know the fish are there. I intend to keep it that way.

Edited by bigugli

I can think of at least 6 bodies of water with prime fishing in the Skokas and the Highlands. They are prime bodies because they are rarely fished, a little remote, or folks don't know the fish are there. I intend to keep it that way.

so your point of posting was....

That's one of the most creative "what's your best lake" questions I have seen....just kidding. A dream is a good thing to have, and a lake that is good for all those species is probably that: a dream.

There was a great place for sale up here a couple of years ago: one cottage on an otherwise uninhabited lake for a cool 1.5 million....but no specks!

S.

riff raff! I wouldn't describe the money up there as riff raff! isn't that a term we use to describe plebeians? LOL

:)