Bronte Creek Report

Guest Rapala Boy

Guest Rapala Boy

Just came back from Bronte Creek (not fishing) and didn't see any sign of salmon and the water was too low, there's no way a salmon would pass the Park without beaching itself lol...No sign of salmon under the bridge either...

The mouth had a few anglers, but they looked bored so not much action at Bronte.

There was a fishing store Bronte Outdoors with a nice man working there and he showed me a nice alternative to downriggers (a 10 oz ball), I also bought a spin doctor with an atomic fly and a release clip for the weight so I guess I have a homemade downrigger now....can't wait.........cool.gif(paddle paddle)

Even after a torrential rain Bronte is still a super-shallow ditch that's loaded with silt. Before the subdivisions went in up in Waterdown it was a decent place to fish. Now, it's so shallow and so completely over-run with idiots that its just a snagfest. Not saying you can't catch fish legally there any more, but there are just so many other places that are sooooo much better. Why anyone would want to waste a day there is beyond me.

Im going to bronte pier tonight with a couple buddys. i'll let you guys know what happens, after that rain, and more rain to come today, i think we should be able to get something. We'll just be tossing spoons, spinners and some plugs. I can't wait any longer me gots to go fishing!!! :o)

Even after a torrential rain Bronte is still a super-shallow ditch that's loaded with silt. Before the subdivisions went in up in Waterdown it was a decent place to fish. Now, it's so shallow and so completely over-run with idiots that its just a snagfest. Not saying you can't catch fish legally there any more, but there are just so many other places that are sooooo much better. Why anyone would want to waste a day there is beyond me.

You said it Craig.

Back in the 80's it was a great place to fish, then in the 90's it went down hill fast. :angry:

Too bad because there were some awesome brown and steelhead runs and some sweet holding water, that became 3" deepflats that are connected by 2' deep pools. :blink:

But even back in the good old days the flats down in the park were always full of loogans snagging away at the salmon as they ran the 6" deep flat into the holding water above. :angry:

Urban development going along with the gentrification of Bronte along with the seventeen golf courses sucking up all the free water they can take has really pooched what used to be my favourite ditch.

You can still have good days in the harbour & estuary but fishing the river has gone downhill.

Im going to bronte pier tonight with a couple buddys. i'll let you guys know what happens, after that rain, and more rain to come today, i think we should be able to get something. We'll just be tossing spoons, spinners and some plugs. I can't wait any longer me gots to go fishing!!! ohmy.gif)

Went out lastnight for 5hrs, all i saw there was 1 5lb chinook pulled in with a blue silver spinner. I had something on but it only stayed on for about 3 seconds. They are starting to jump around in the harbour. Gonna try again this week with some glowing blue fox spinners.

You can still fish past the bridge. Its no longer a sanctuary... But you have to be in a boat.

I wonder if wading in the water with water wings on is considered a vessel? lol

You said it Craig.

Back in the 80's it was a great place to fish, then in the 90's it went down hill fast. :angry:

Too bad because there were some awesome brown and steelhead runs and some sweet holding water, that became 3" deepflats that are connected by 2' deep pools. :blink:

But even back in the good old days the flats down in the park were always full of loogans snagging away at the salmon as they ran the 6" deep flat into the holding water above. :angry:

Loved to park right under the QEW back then , work upstream into the then new Prov. Park, lottsa browns and probably my personal best river bow came from that stretch, almost everyone else went downstream . After a couple of holes you were mostly alone and under a beautiful old growth forest canopy. Mostly fished there after Nov 1st though and the salmon were gone for the most part.

You can still fish past the bridge. Its no longer a sanctuary... But you have to be in a boat.

I wonder if wading in the water with water wings on is considered a vessel? lol

is this true? i looked through the regs and couldnt find anything saying "you have to be in a boat" or seomthing similar..

is this true? i looked through the regs and couldnt find anything saying "you have to be in a boat" or seomthing similar..

It's a municipal by-law, not a Provincial regulation so you won't find it in the regs but if you do try to fish from shore you will get a trespassing ticket. Similiar to the No-Fishing After Aug 15 in Port Credit. It's a town council middle finger to the province after the long hard fight to get the sanctuary removed.

It's of dubious legality, but the anti-fishing NIMBYism flows strong in Oakville nowadays.