Entering the Wonderful World of Walleyes

MJL

Walleye have always been my arch nemesis starting from my earliest fishing trips as a kid to the lake. All the walleye I’ve ever caught (which hasn’t been very many) have been by accident while fishing for other things – none of which were really all that big. When I tried to target them as a kid (mostly in fast-water areas from shore usually around opening day), I always ended up catching carp (and lots of them!) on worms, leeches, minnows, plastic jigs, bucktail jigs and rapalas :dunno: . I saw other people catching loads of walleyes around me using the same baits, fishing the same areas and I chalked it up to fate – The carp gods simply loved me too much to fish for anything else :angel: . I never really tried for them since.

With the guidance of Jet and Frozen Fire (actually more like getting swindled into it), I expanded my vocabulary to include words like, worm harness, Lindy rigs, floating jig heads, drift socks, bottom huggers, weed-edges, and Darryl Choronzey's Breading & Batter Mix – Maybe TV had more of an influence on the last one :whistling:

A few weeks ago, the three of us rented a boat on Rice Lake and I got my first real taste of what walleye fishing was supposed to be like – Kind of. We brought 20 dozen worms on the boat, 4 dozen leeches, a whole whack of proven walleye baits and rigs and had 2 fish finders going.

Having only been in a motor boat 4 times prior, I loved scooting across the lake with the wind in my face. We were greeted with a golden sunrise in the morning

P1030476.jpg

We spent 14 hours on the boat and I managed to land 3 walleye (which is the most I’ve ever landed in 1 day). Jet landed 4. All of the walleye were small and under the slot unfortunately – Ironically the MNR guys boated up to us to check for licenses and fish while we were in the process of measuring 1.

First walleye in years...Not big but it’s a start! At that moment there was a flood of emotions ranging from joy, relief that I didn’t skunk on eyes, sadness that it wasn't big enough to keep :(, and pain from getting my hand razored by something sharp and spiky on the fish :o . How the heck are you supposed to hold them? :dunno:

IMG_5658.jpg

Over the last few weeks I’ve been reading various magazines and articles and doing my best to learn as much as I could about the life & times of walleye and walleye fishing. I also further equipped my tackle selection with walleye stuff (like lures and spinner rig components) and bought a new transducer mount for my canoe...I’ll shamefully admit that I conned my dad into paying for it all when we hit up Lebaron to take our boaters exam... :clapping:

Tuesday my dad and I decided to hit up one lake up north - By north it’s pretty much anywhere north of Bass Pro for this Scarborough boy :lol:. Joining us would be Frozen Fire and EC1. Got to the lake around 1:30pm, rigged up the canoe with the fish finder and paddled around. We broke out the worm harness spinner rigs I tied up and began drifting in the wind over 17-20ft of water. Shortly after (while eating a timbit), my rod doubles over and I set the hook...I don’t feel anything moving...Just weight. For 2-3 minutes I’m still not sure what I have on. I feel some headshakes but it’s not really moving or doing much – Snapping turtle? Subsequently after 2 minutes the hook pops out and we continue drifting with the wind.

With winds blowing hard, my dad and I found a calm spot behind one island and anchored up.

Eyes glued to the fish finder, I didn’t have much hope from the spot seeing that there wasn’t much fish activity happening on the screen. It’s actually the first time using my fish finder on softwater.

P1030488-1.jpg

I did end up catching my first bass in about 3-4yrs. The fight that smallie gave me was AMAZING :worthy:

P1030485.jpg

P1030484-1.jpg

Frozen Fire and EC1 who arrived later in the day found us and also had their fun with smallies. I want padded swivel chairs too :(

P1030492.jpg

We compared notes and with news of EC1 getting a walleye earlier, we pulled up the anchor and paddled our way against the wind to one bay. On our 2nd drift of the bay, my rod doubles over and I set the hook into something solid. It’s not moving much and I feel headshakes...

After a couple minutes of heavy winching, I finally bring it to the surface and to my amazement, it is a walleye :thumbsup_anim: . Only when I brought it up to the surface did it really start to fight...It took a mega long run then and peeled line like a demon possessed! I finally reeled the fish in to the side of the canoe and my dad barely managed to scoop it into my small trout net. Only ¾ of it fit inside!...I don’t know how much it weighed but it’s definitely my PB walleye :thumbsup_anim:

P1030487-1.jpg

I wasn’t sure what size walleye are tasty at. I’ve never eaten one. I released it to grow even bigger for my next trip back. Hopefully I can catch it again at 10+lbs next time...In 3 weeks :D

My dad didn’t hook into any walleye but together we got into a good number of smallies and jumbo bluegills using Gulp baits and plastic grubs. Here he is just chilling in the back of the canoe

P1030494.jpg

Sunset to a great day on the water

P1030491.jpg

My dad is itching to go back. According to him, we’ll be shopping around for a new trolling motor and battery in the coming weeks :thumbsup_anim: (Any recommendations?). He didn’t much like having to constantly paddle against the wind for most of the day…I say he’s getting old :P:D

Hope you enjoyed

Mike

Always a pleasure reading these reports Mike. Nice Eyes and a Nice Few Days on the Water!

You may have the biggest case of fishing fever I have ever seen. (I can relate) I like how you get right into every species you are fishing for - full research of species, a complete knowledge of the major rigs, and all the other good stuff that adds to fishing.

I suspect the two of us will be spending our winters like mad scientists with every accessible MNR document, topographic maps, and all the old classic books etc. My library card will be working overtime for sure ;)

BTBM

Always a pleasure reading these reports Mike. Nice Eyes and a Nice Few Days on the Water!

You may have the biggest case of fishing fever I have ever seen. (I can relate) I like how you get right into every species you are fishing for - full research of species, a complete knowledge of the major rigs, and all the other good stuff that adds to fishing.

I suspect the two of us will be spending our winters like mad scientists with every accessible MNR document, topographic maps, and all the old classic books etc. My library card will be working overtime for sure ;)

BTBM

He's going to be spending his winter on Lake Simcoe with his eyes glued to his finder.... as will I. :D

I enjoyed reading this post. I just got into the walleye fishing this year. Been doing great so far.

As for the trolling motor. If all your using it for is the canoe, then a small minn-kota would be my suggestion. I run a 36# on my canoe, and it works great.

Nice to have fished with you again! I gotta take a look at how your drift sock is made exactly next time. I wouldn't use it for walleye, but it would definitely be really nice on a windy day drifting around fishing for anything else.

Excellent report and pictures. Congrats on the walleye..a very nice job. Y'know Mike, as I read your threads/posts, I can't help but think of the great upbringing you've had. That is a testament to your parents and to yourself...a breath of fresh air in this day and age.

Thanks for taking the time to post this report. I know that it's very much appreciated.

Nice work on the Walleye, that is definitely a nice fish, and you are one of the few people who has released one that size, so kudos on that, that is definitely a fish that is a good breeder.

Next time make sure to try some bucktail jigs, I have had luck with black and red tipped with gulp minnows in the weeds, and on the weed edges, walleye are mostly nocturnal, so unless it is overcast you need to fish in the thick stuff to find them during the day, but then again I am by no means an expert!

Thanks guys for the comments. Fishnsled, we were actually looking at a Minn Kota with 30lb thrust. I'm not exactly sure how powerful they are (seeing as how I've never used one) but is 30-35lb enough? My canoe weighs 60lbs and with 2 X 120+lb humans inside, would it be able to tow us around?

BTBM

For me, if I’m driving 2+hrs to catch a fish, skunking is not an option! I want to go in with the intelligence and stealth of an elite commando unit and attack the lake or river’s population of tackle-testing and/or tasty fish with all the fire power (or fishing power) I’ve got. I will stay overnight if I have to in order to complete the mission! :lol:

Also beyond the Discovery channel, National Geographic and the Food network, there’s not much else I enjoy watching on TV nowadays so I read a fair bit. I guess most people would call me a fishing nerd.LOL

Excellent report and pictures. Congrats on the walleye..a very nice job. Y'know Mike, as I read your threads/posts, I can't help but think of the great upbringing you've had. That is a testament to your parents and to yourself...a breath of fresh air in this day and age.

Thanks for taking the time to post this report. I know that it's very much appreciated.

In my case, growing up, I only had basic cable, 2 Nintendo games (one of which was Duck Hunt), softball and an immigrant mother who wasn’t afraid to use chop sticks to smack her kids’ butts with – Apparently it’s much easier on the hands that way :w00t:

After school the rivers were my playground, the lawn was my target casting range and the books, both of which were titled Freshwater fish of North America, were my bedtime readings. My parents have turned me into a fishing super-computer with little remorse for hunting down fish and taking pictures with them :thumbsup_anim:

Nice work on the Walleye, that is definitely a nice fish, and you are one of the few people who has released one that size, so kudos on that, that is definitely a fish that is a good breeder.

Next time make sure to try some bucktail jigs, I have had luck with black and red tipped with gulp minnows in the weeds, and on the weed edges, walleye are mostly nocturnal, so unless it is overcast you need to fish in the thick stuff to find them during the day, but then again I am by no means an expert!

You mean that fish was of a tasty size? :wallbash::lol: Really appreciate the tips Darryl. I wasn’t able to find very many weeds at all on that lake (at least nothing green). Average depths ranged from 14 through to 45ft depending on which side of the lake we were blown to. One day I'd like to try night fishing for walleye. I'd first have to mount navigation night lights to my canoe first.

Cheers

Mike

Great report and pics MJL. Good times fishing with Dad and good friends. It brings a tear of joy to my eye to see my old Sportspal out on the water catching fish, and yes those padded swivel seats are worth every penny. As far as a trolling motor goes, 30lbs or better will be plenty. More importantly, if you can afford it, get one with variable speed control instead of 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds. Some early mornings on calm water the #1 forward speed is way too fast and you can dial the speed to match any wind conditions with the variable.

<br />Excellent report and pictures. Congrats on the walleye..a very nice job. Y'know Mike, as I read your threads/posts, I can't help but think of the great upbringing you've had. That is a testament to your parents and to yourself...a breath of fresh air in this day and age.<br />Thanks for taking the time to post this report. I know that it's very much appreciated.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Roy:

You could say the same for Mike's pal Victor...I had the pleasure of fishing with them for our preferred species (carp) and they are a fine pair of young gentlemen to associate with...they politely listened to my tales of fishing in the olden days and never complained...LOL

Thanks guys for the comments. Fishnsled, we were actually looking at a Minn Kota with 30lb thrust. I'm not exactly sure how powerful they are (seeing as how I've never used one) but is 30-35lb enough? My canoe weighs 60lbs and with 2 X 120+lb humans inside, would it be able to tow us around?

Should work like a charm, Mike. First bass boat I ever fished from was an 18 foot Glastron, which had a 28-pound thrust bow mount up front. It moved the boat and two of us around no problem.

Nice walleye too - on the high side of my own favourite eating range, but I'm sure it would have tasted spectacular. Just as well - it's a prime breeder and we need them too.

Cheers

Craig

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report and nice pickerel to end it. Sounds like the other one you lost was also a pickerel.

How do you like Darryl's fish batter?

Good to see the MNR out there and Kudo's to your dad for buying you the transducer, and maybe a trolling motor. Sounds like your fishing adventures are only going to get better!

In my case, growing up, I only had basic cable, 2 Nintendo games (one of which was Duck Hunt), softball and an immigrant mother who wasn't afraid to use chop sticks to smack her kids' butts with – Apparently it's much easier on the hands that way :w00t:

Mike

You had Nintendo, wow, lucky you!

I had Pong. w00t.gif Mind you I rarely used it as Bronte was just a 15 minute bike ride away. ;)

Funny the cultural differences, my mother had a wooden spoon. But like your mother she used it cause it hurt her more than me if she used her hand. Dad of course had a leather belt. ohmy.gif

As usual a great post Mike, congrats on your walleye success. thumbsup_anim.gif

Guest Johnny Bass

You had Nintendo, wow, lucky you!

I had Pong. w00t.gif Mind you I rarely used it as Bronte was just a 15 minute bike ride away. ;)

Funny the cultural differences, my mother had a wooden spoon. But like your mother she used it cause it hurt her more than me if she used her hand. Dad of course had a leather belt. ohmy.gif

As usual a great post Mike, congrats on your walleye success. thumbsup_anim.gif

Yup. I had a few wooden spoons cracked over my head.lol But chop sticks in the wrong hands can be dangerous.lol