Monday muskie report - with underwater HD video!

Fisherpete

Fishgreg purchased two of my musky bucktail lots during my recent tackle purge, and I only thought it fair to show him that they were not duds... and the best way to do that is of course a water test! Greg met up with me yesterday morning at 6am with Tim's in hand, and off we went.

Conditions were pretty good when we arrived, a mix of sun and cloud, surface water temps not too high at 76F, and a nice little chop on the lake. Best of all - only saw one other boat on the water! :thumbsup_anim: Those waves would build into whitecaps as the day went on, but didn't cause us too much grief (ok, I got a few good face soakers heading into the waves, but whatever!). The new Legend continues to impress me with how it handles rough water, I would have had a rough go of it in my ex Tracker yesterday. As we loaded the boat, Greg realized that his lunch had stayed in Toronto in the car LOL... but I always pack some extra stuff, so we woudn't starve.

Greg has caught some nice pike, but was in search of his first muskie, and it didn't take too long before he hooked into a beauty while casting... on one of the bucktails I sold him LMAO!!! How much to buy it back??? He has started his muskie career in style, with a 43"! She was fairly skinny, but had an absolutely MASSIVE head and tail on her. I would love to see her in mid November with some pounds packed onto that frame. She had totally engulfed the bucktail, and was hooked deep, but the hook came out OK, and she only bled a bit. Greg got her back in the water quick, and started the revival process... and out came the new camera for it's maiden underwater voyage! I have to tell you, I was worried sticking it in the water for the first time... but the video turned out great and it still works LOL! Oh yeah, notice in the first pic that I am LIPPING that pig... think I trust my Lindy gloves much?

43muskya.jpg

43muskyb.jpg

Here's my first attempt at posting a video... you can watch it as is in 360p (better for low bandwidth, but grainy) or select HD 720p in the bottom right... leave it loading for a couple minutes... grab a beer, take a squirt... then come back and enjoy my annoying voice for 3 minutes! NOPE scratch that, I just swapped my voice for an acoustic tune on Youtube! I will get some wicked footage on future trips... I plan to jump in the water and record one being released from there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsurCE4brU

After catching the first fish, it took a while to figure out what the day's pattern would be, but once we did, the action was pretty consistent for the rest of the day. Greg ended up with three for the day, his 43", a thick 36", and another mid-30's fish that was released 'conservation style' at boatside without a pic. (OK, I was fumbling for the net and she got off!) Greg repaid the net favour shortly after on one of my fish - his lure got all tangled in the net, and as he struggled with it my fish came off too! Oh well, you don't need to take a pic of every one anyway, especially smaller ones. I ended up with five for the day, the last one being a nice 42". We both caught an incidental walleye (both keeper size too, but both were released), and Greg got a decent LM bass as well.

36musky.jpg

petemusky1.jpg

petemusky2.jpg

petemusky22.jpg

petemusky3.jpg

petemusky4.jpg

I'm almost forgetting the best muskie story of the day! Mid afternoon, Greg got a VIOLENT hit on a perch patterned body bait, felt a couple massive headshakes, and then she was gone! I think she grabbed the lure by the head and tried to decapitate it! Take a look at the tooth mark on this lure... the divot she took out was almost 1 cm deep into the wood! Man, I would have loved to see that fish... one can only guess at the size.

ssrapdivot.jpg

I think we now have another certified muskie addict in our midst... welcome to the club Greg!

Lastly, I still haven't gotten around to taking some decent pics of my new ride, but she has a name now...

MUSKIE WHISPERER ;)

67 skis so far this season, but the Quest for the 50" continues...

Edited by Fisherpete

you werent kiddin when you said the day was going great! :thumbsup_anim:

awesome pics! that new cam is great. congrats to you aswell on your musky greg.

wicked underwater vid btw, lol at one point i thought it was gonna bite at the cam. pete your a beast!

Alex - our day shall come, and Optimus Prime shall filleth to the brim with a fifty of epic proportions, battled from the depths of Rice Lake...!

Actually, I would be extremely happy catching ANY fricken muskie from Rice!

See what you miss when you let a job opportunity get in the way LMAO! Next time bud... just be sure to stock up on skunk lures first.

Hmmm... I thought I tried that "insert media" link... let me try it again... got it. Thanks Alex!

Edited by Fisherpete

I dunno Pigeontroller... I think there are some to be had!

Oct 1st last year... 47" and heavy... (PB)

Oct 6th last year... another 47"... (PB)

45.5" and thick earlier this year...

47flat.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

4.jpg

But you are probably right, I would likely have a better shot at a fifty at one of the other lakes... just not as many fish overall. I would trade every one that I have caught this year for that first fifty! I have a few places lined up for this fall... but I should fish them some in Aug & Sept first to learn them a bit I suppose! Any PM's are welcome for lakes to try...

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! Congrats to Greg for catching his first ski! I heard there were at least 2 50's in that lake but who knows. Apparently the record is 64 inches if you can believe that! :whistling:

For Kawartha's? Pigeon is your best bet for a 50.

For Kawartha's? Pigeon is your best bet for a 50.

Some 50+ inchers in Pigeon surely, maybe even Head Lake where Dr. Crossman netted a 45 lb. fish(largest from Kawarthas).

You are catching a ton of muskies however, there all good. Where do you find the time?