Just got my brand new Hobie Pro Angler!!!!

justwannafish

So here's a bit of a better pic of the yak while I was launching at Martindale Pond earlier today.

Sadly it was a completely unsuccessful outing but I can pretty much guarantee that I will have a sweet report after next weekend. I'm goin camping to a remote access only lake with a buddy of mine from New Zealand. Gotta show the Kiwi how Ontario lake fishing can be!

That orange chair in the back of the boat is clearly something I added. I just thought I'd put it in there to show how big and awesome this thing is. Fully capable of seating two for a day on the lake.

Hobie Martindale.jpg

Hey justwannafish, check out Yakfisher.net. It's an Ontario (and some Quebec) kayak angler's site with many experienced and novice yakfishers. There are even a few Hobie PA owners on there that could help you with rigging ideas. I'm sure there are yakfisher members in your area. They even have a tournament series if you like the competitive thing. You can never trust what the manufacturers list as the weight of their yaks, I heard the PA comes in at 118lbs with seat and minimal rigging. Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks!

Will do!

Seems there's endless possibilities with rigging that thing up with equipment and what-not. I've just got my portable fish finder, Bass Pro XPS tackle bag, and chair tied down with nylon rope. It'll be cool to see how other people rigged theirs up.

• 1 year later...

Okay, I am reviving this thread since I just came back from the fishing show and spent quite a while ogling this thing. After test driving the mirage drive system on vacation last week I am sold on its benefits. My biggest question is can you get that thing on top of your car by yourself?

Yup

No problem

I had a chevy cobalt when I bought that amazing angling weapon

Being able to independently maneuver this beast was one of my favourite things.

What I did (because I had bought the cart when I bought the yak) was roll it right up to the back of my car first. To avoid scratching my trunk I rolled out a mat over the trunk. I would then lift the bow of the hobie on top of the trunk. Then I moved around to the back of the yak and then pushed it up to the roof racks

The whole thing is really not that heavy especially when you're sliding it along a plane

Of you're even considering buying this bad boy then you should absolutely go for it

I seriously have nothing at ALL bad to say about it aside from the hefty tag

But really, what is the price of utter elation!??

Go for it man

If you're at all like my you won't regret it

Let me know how it goes!!!!

That's a great system if you're down to spend the extra cash for the specific roof rack system and additional bar. My pockets were scraped clean after buying my dream toy though.

Also, I had never taken my seat off once when I drove with it on my racks and I literally made hundreds of trips. I'm sure the drag may hurt the mpg a bit more but there were no issues ever with it flying off the yak or even loosening.

That bar does absolutely make it a quicker, easier load but if you're like me and don't want to spend much more cash, it's not necessary.

Regardless off how you get the PA to where you're going, the hardest part is 100% going to be getting off the water to go home.

Trust me on that!!

Hahahaha

Have fun!!

I use a Hobie kickboat but the launches are the same. Be carefull in Toronto Harbour/Toronto Island as the cops will want to see a harbour permit. There's tons of launches around the GTA, virtually every waterfront or stream essentially, but also impounds like Montsberg, Island Lake, Shades Mills, Valens and some others around Hamilton are the ticket. I've had my Hobie for about a dozen years and I still consider it the single best thing I have ever purchased, period. Nothing beats hooking up with a 30lb Chinnook, in the middle of the night, on a bass casting rod. They hit so hard its like a haymaker to the noggin.Thank goodness there's no more standing on piers with loogans or battling the crowds onstream for me thanks to my Hobie. :thumbsup_anim:

I use a Hobie kickboat but the launches are the same. Be carefull in Toronto Harbour/Toronto Island as the cops will want to see a harbour permit. There's tons of launches around the GTA, virtually every waterfront or stream essentially, but also impounds like Montsberg, Island Lake, Shades Mills, Valens and some others around Hamilton are the ticket. I've had my Hobie for about a dozen years and I still consider it the single best thing I have ever purchased, period. Nothing beats hooking up with a 30lb Chinnook, in the middle of the night, on a bass casting rod. They hit so hard its like a haymaker to the noggin.Thank goodness there's no more standing on piers with loogans or battling the crowds onstream for me thanks to my Hobie. :thumbsup_anim:

I've fished the Toronto harbour and islands dozens of times during the past 3 years in my Hobie Revolution and have never been stopped or asked for a permit by the marine unit. Why would that be required for a kayak?